Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Itd be just like Spurs to send scouts to Holland and end up with Promes as opposed to Janssen
No, it would be us to end up with nobody and to have it leaked that we baulked at the extra half million pound transfer fee.

I like to think we have a plan but I can also sense the usual scattergun approach.

It seems our relative stability and youthful squad is yet to have the magnetic effect we would have liked.

No, it would be us to end up with nobody and to have it leaked that we baulked at the extra half million pound transfer fee.

I like to think we have a plan but I can also sense the usual scattergun approach.

It seems our relative stability and youthful squad is yet to have the magnetic effect we would have liked.

I get the impression we are looking at strikers and CDMs. Scattergun would be signing young players to fill positions we are well stocked in.

I feel we are 3 players away from properly being able to compete on all fronts.

Ted Knutson did some writing on Vardy to Woolwich:
http://statsbomb.com/2016/06/breaking-down-vardy-to-Woolwich-and-the-alternatives/

He makes a few interesting points:
- Strikers are always over-priced, so finding bargains is unlikely, and with future increases in TV revenue, prices will never get cheaper.
- Woolwich have a really urgent need to buy a striker right now, but also have nothing in the pipeline for the future, and Vardy doesn't fix that.
- There are no strikers out there who really suit Wengers tactics, as almost no one plays that way. (I'd call that a pretty solid sign you're doing it wrong)
- Dressing room culture matters when making signings. And the clubs consider it.

One of those points relate to our situation as well. It's true that prices are never going to be getting cheaper, so there's no reason not to spend the fee required. But that's also re-assuring, since we already have one good, young striker, so we won't have this problem coming up repeatedly in future, unlike the idiots down the road.

I get the impression we are looking at strikers and CDMs. Scattergun would be signing young players to fill positions we are well stocked in.

I feel we are 3 players away from properly being able to compete on all fronts.

To compete on all fronts we need a net 5 in.

Look at last season and at the end we were 3/4 short when competing on the one front.

3 would not be enough.

We need to be at 95 plus per cent even if Kane and let's say Dembele or Rose are out or any other two.

Last season once we lost 2 or 3 players our quality dipped to 90% which is often not good enough.

Are you f'ing serious with this crap dude the transfer window hasn't even opened, stfu please

To compete on all fronts we need a net 5 in.

Look at last season and at the end we were 3/4 short when competing on the one front.

3 would not be enough.

We need to be at 95 plus per cent even if Kane and let's say Dembele or Rose are out or any other two.

Last season once we lost 2 or 3 players our quality dipped to 90% which is often not good enough.
:kaneshh:

Are you f'ing serious with this crap dude the transfer window hasn't even opened, stfu please
Been here many times before. Last summer most "knew" we would get a second striker. Yeah right.

We should have made a statement of intent after the way our season ended.

Pochettino signing his contract was nice but we also needed a quick signing to instill some belief.

Many posters won't say it but many will agree.

Ok, he played 51 out of 53 games if you're going to be a pedant. Eric Dier is a fucking Terminator.

Apart from the fact, of course, that I'm advocating signing Wanyama. So god knows what your point is there.

Eric Dier is CURRENTLY a guaranteed starter. If we bought Sergio Busquets I'd change that viewpoint. So no, what I'm saying is nothing like saying we shouldn't be buying better players. Nothing I've said has come close to that suggestion.

Your getting the wrong end of the stick here. My view that Eric Dier is a guaranteed starter (like Kane, Toby and Hugo and Dembele actually) is all I'm commenting on and that he's better than Wanyama so that doesn't change anything unless his form dips or he's not healthy.

Buying Wanyama means we can fuck off Carroll and maybe Mason though. He could also play alongside Dier when Dembele inevitably breaks down.

I'm making no comment on the direction of our transfer policy as you seem to think I'm suggesting.

Seeing as you were being a bit of pedant with me, I'm going to return the favour. Lionel Messi.
We'll agree to agree then. We did players of the same/better quality than we have got in some positions and Dier should start unless he needs a rest, is injured or suspended.

The scattergun approach that addressed a partner for Vertonghen in Toby Alderweireld.

The scattergun approach that addressed the CB depth issue by purchasing Kevin Wimmer.

The scattergun approach that addressed our lack of full back depth in Ben Davies and Kieran Trippier.

The scattergun approach that addressed our forward depth in Heung Min-Son and Clinton N'Jie.

The scattergun approach you're clutching to like a wilting branch in the wind is about the Bale money and we've moved so far past that. You're just using it moan.

Yes, we needed a second striker and we failed, but to use one failed pursuit to back up your flimsy point is transparent and we all see it.

Does the imminent signing of Batshuayi seem scattergun, or the pursuit of Lacazette? Or does that look like someone seeing a hole in our squad and addressing it?

No, not loads of people will agree with you but not say it. When has anyone on this board been afraid to say anything?! It's why this board smashes the granny out of all the other mollycoddled forums.

The transfer window isn't even open.

Fuck sake.

Last edited:
The scattergun approach that addressed a partner for Vertonghen in Toby Alderweireld.

The scattergun approach that addressed the CB depth issue by purchasing Kevin Wimmer.

The scattergun approach that addressed our lack of full back depth in Ben Davies and Kieran Trippier.

The scattergun approach that addressed our forward depth in Heung Min-Son and Clinton N'Jie.

The scattergun approach you're clutching to like a wilting branch in the wind is about the Bale money and we've moved so far past that. You're just using it moan.

Yes, we needed a second striker and we failed, but to use one failed pursuit to back up your flimsy point is transparent and we all see it.

Does the imminent signing of Batshuayi seem scattergun, or the pursuit of Lacazette? Or does that look like someone seeing a hole in our squad and addressing it

No, not loads of people will agree with you but not say it. When has anyone on this board been afraid to say anything?! It's why this board smashes the granny out of all the other mollycoddled forums.

The transfer window isn't even open.

Fuck sake.
Outstanding post.

It's a shame, Southampton seem to be another club trying to do things the right way.

Their board though down the years has useless at retaining. When Poch was on the way out they had a fire sale up till we wanted Schniderlin.

I have no doubt they will lose players but like always they will rebuild. As a
Fan though it must be hard getting behind a team where most of the players seem like they are just waiting for the opportunity to fuck off.

They scount well but hard to think of a club which loses players at the rate they do each season.

Back
Top Bottom