Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So it was a mistake to give him 40k per week? So that's either poch or levy's mistake?

The mentality of a player can change.

Perhaps in his first season Bentaleb was perfect, he trained hard, he played decently, he didn't complain. A player fully deserving a payrise.

And then perhaps after that first season his mentality drops, he doesn't train as hard, he attacks younger and less established players when they don't pass to him and all of a sudden he doesn't look worth £40k a week.

The point is maybe no one made any mistake here but Bentaleb. It doesn't have to automatically be Levys or Poch's fault, and I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by stating that it is their fault. That they're not perfect? No shit.

Seems to be some buzz about Spurs at least beeing interested in Tielemans. I don't know too much about him. But would he replace Bentaleb position vice?

Stop talking about a title. It's like you're looking for an argument. No one on here has mentioned winning the title this season.
Thing Is Joe, at the end of last season LOTS of people were talking about us winning the title this season. Some of those same people are now saying we don't have the resources and should be lowering our expectations.

The main barrier to us breaking into the top 4 was always mental fragility. How often do we call Totteham bottlers, or almosters?

I think that not only have we improved tactically, physically, technically etc but the most important improvement has been the mentality change. For large parts of last season we looked like the United of old, and other than a blip at the end of the season you couldn't really say "typical Tottenham" with any real conviction.
We completely shat it when it mattered. Calling it a blip is to commit a fanciful rewrite of history. Our season ended up being defined by a humiliating defeat to a relegation standard team which in turn allowed our arch rivals to leap frog us into second.

Let's agree to disagree.
I think levy & poch make mistakes.
It's normal.
So there will be some blame if levy feels we should win the title but we don't even challenge.

It's just strange that some people say there's no reason we can't win the title next season but also say no one is to blame if we don't even challenge for the title.

& also say there is no guarantee spending lots helps you improve.
BUT then go on to say other teams have better resources which is a big advantage over us.

They can afford to spend £100m+ and more than likely they'll have some success. We cannot match that. See the examples of the Chavs, City and Utd in the past. Spend more than everyone else and dominate. At the same time only one team can win the league.

It's not about blaming anyone. I support the team if we challenge then great, if we don't it's again more than likely we were not good enough. It's not because we deliberately played shit, Poch sets the team up to get a result. If it doesn't happen then we were outplayed.

You want to play the blame game then blame Levy for not spending money. Strange considering he works within the businesses means, whilst also managing a huge capital investment in the stadium. We have a state of the art training facilities to develop our own players. Much rather spend £50m on that than a player who is more than likely will only be at the club for a few years.

The team are shit, blame Pochettino and his player selection.

Players are shit, blame guys like Carroll and Mason for not being Dier and Dembele.

I'm not a happy clapper and get as frustrated when results do not go our way. However look at the team we have now and compare it to 10-20 years ago. We have gone from a mid-table side to one that is regular top 6, now we are challenging. All on a shoe string budget compared to financially doped sides. Just enjoy what is happening at the club, titles and trophies will come organically, with a side that is developing as a group.

I thought Tielemans was outstanding against us in the away game at Anderlecht last season.

A lot more quiet in the game at WHL but his age and the fact hes Belgian and he'd find it easy to fit in would make it a smart signing.

The mentality of a player can change.

Perhaps in his first season Bentaleb was perfect, he trained hard, he played decently, he didn't complain. A player fully deserving a payrise.

And then perhaps after that first season his mentality drops, he doesn't train as hard, he attacks younger and less established players when they don't pass to him and all of a sudden he doesn't look worth £40k a week.

The point is maybe no one made any mistake here but Bentaleb. It doesn't have to automatically be Levys or Poch's fault, and I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by stating that it is their fault. That they're not perfect? No shit.
I agree. Not you, but others seem to never admit levy or poch make mistakes.
I guess I should let it go.

No one to blame as the side that wins the title will have been consistent at winning matches and picking up points.

We have had investment in our squad from the board, we have an excellent young coach in Pochettino and then we have the youngest average aged squad in the league. What more could we ask for? On top of that we challenged for a title and ultimately fell short. Just because we are not spending £20-30m+ on players, which is no guarantee of a title challenge, "hello bin dippers", so long as we play with the same intensity and passion as we did last season I would be happy. We also have added CL to play. There is a state of the art stadium arising from the ashes of WHL. What more as a fan of our great club do you want? A trophy would be nice, however there are other teams with much bigger resources also competing against us.
Thing Is Joe, at the end of last season LOTS of people were talking about us winning the title this season. Some of those same people are now saying we don't have the resources and should be lowering our expectations.
Never talk yourself down, once you do that, mentally you will always have that memory there, even if you start to be successful!
giphy.gif

They can afford to spend £100m+ and more than likely they'll have some success. We cannot match that. See the examples of the Chavs, City and Utd in the past. Spend more than everyone else and dominate. At the same time only one team can win the league.

It's not about blaming anyone. I support the team if we challenge then great, if we don't it's again more than likely we were not good enough. It's not because we deliberately played shit, Poch sets the team up to get a result. If it doesn't happen then we were outplayed.

You want to play the blame game then blame Levy for not spending money. Strange considering he works within the businesses means, whilst also managing a huge capital investment in the stadium. We have a state of the art training facilities to develop our own players. Much rather spend £50m on that than a player who is more than likely will only be at the club for a few years.

The team are shit, blame Pochettino and his player selection.

Players are shit, blame guys like Carroll and Mason for not being Dier and Dembele.

I'm not a happy clapper and get as frustrated when results do not go our way. However look at the team we have now and compare it to 10-20 years ago. We have gone from a mid-table side to one that is regular top 6, now we are challenging. All on a shoe string budget compared to financially doped sides. Just enjoy what is happening at the club, titles and trophies will come organically, with a side that is developing as a group.
Good points. Overall, the teams who spend more & have more resources end up winning more.
I get the point about leicester spending little or liverpool wasting ££.
But apart from last season it is still a big spending club winning the title every year.

I am not as confident as you that all the big spending teams will be not as good as us next season.
You would expect at least 1 or 2 to be a lot better next season.

I like your no blame game.
but if we never blamed anyone we would still have AVB & gomes in goal..
& poch has already been ruthless in dishing out blame & getting rid of players.

Never talk yourself down, once you do that, mentally you will always have that memory there, even if you start to be successful!
giphy.gif

I only talked about winning titles when it looked within our grasp. I cannot say for a fact we'll challenge again, however if we play similarly to how we did last season before the Chav match we've got every chance of challenging again. The 'elite' teams that failed last season though have invested heavily and will look to improve on their poor showing though.

Good points. Overall, the teams who spend more & have more resources end up winning more.
I get the point about leicester spending little or liverpool wasting ££.
But apart from last season it is still a big spending club winning the title every year.

I am not as confident as you that all the big spending teams will be not as good as us next season.
You would expect at least 1 or 2 to be a lot better next season.

I like your no blame game.
but if we never blamed anyone we would still have AVB & gomes in goal..
& poch has already been ruthless in dishing out blame & getting rid of players.

I like to think our philosophy of development may prove to be a winning factor for us. It's been a while since we saw a side that grew over time becoming champions. Much more of a pay off than buying titles. I like where we are as a club, I remember the dark days of the 90s and early 00s. When people start questioning our ambition as a club, just point them back to before ENIC.

If you want to play the blame game....

Blame Bentaleb for not knuckling down and proving himself to the only person that matters. Blame Dembele and Alli for losing their heads when totally wound up.

Blame Bale for agitating for a move and disrupting our planning for 2013/14. Blame Redknapp for being a total whore towards the FA and losing our place for a CL position in 2012. Blame Levy for not spending enough money (money we may or may not have).

I like to think our philosophy of development may prove to be a winning factor for us. It's been a while since we saw a side that grew over time becoming champions. Much more of a pay off than buying titles. I like where we are as a club, I remember the dark days of the 90s and early 00s. When people start questioning our ambition as a club, just point them back to before ENIC.

If you want to play the blame game....

Blame Bentaleb for not knuckling down and proving himself to the only person that matters. Blame Dembele and Alli for losing their heads when totally wound up.

Blame Bale for agitating for a move and disrupting our planning for 2013/14. Blame Redknapp for being a total whore towards the FA and losing our place for a CL position in 2012. Blame Levy for not spending enough money (money we may or may not have).
I think we are in a great place too.
There is nothing wrong in us being a top 5 team & not 1 who wins trophies.
I just don't think levy think's we will win lot's of trophies so doesn't treat us like a club that does.
Or if he does then something has gone very wrong these past years.

I think we are in a great place too.
There is nothing wrong in us being a top 5 team & not 1 who wins trophies.
I just don't think levy think's we will win lot's of trophies so doesn't treat us like a club that does.
Or if he does then something has gone very wrong these past years.

As has been pointed out. Levy is a business man first and 'maybe' a Football fan second. ENIC's modus operandi is to turn a profit. They have grown our club's value from the £22m they paid Sugar to a club currently valued in the region of £500m. ENIC did not buy our club to be a rich person's play thing, unlike City or the Chavs. Look at the likes of Woolwich and Dippers they were not bought to win trophies, they like ourselves need to be challenging for top 4 and CL riches, winning the titles is an aside to those goals.

ENIC have heavily invested in the club, we have one of the best training facilities in the country, soon to be one of the best stadiums as well. They are building a lasting legacy for the future. Not just for the here and now. Although some posters just want us to be spending big money on named players who are no guarantee of instant success. Give me an Alli and Dier for £11m over £120m for Pogba any day. Whose name would you prefer to be singing? The £100m money grabber or the guys who have worked their way into the first team?

Back
Top Bottom