Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we are in a great place too.
There is nothing wrong in us being a top 5 team & not 1 who wins trophies.
I just don't think levy think's we will win lot's of trophies so doesn't treat us like a club that does.
Or if he does then something has gone very wrong these past years.

In a way I think you make sense but it really "Feels," as if we are progressing. No embarrassing penny pinching transfer saga, no Stars Madrid bound, signings in much needed areas, visible signs of construction work and a coach who demands effort and improvement.

It "Feels," like we know what we are doing, know what we want and as a result will perform well. I am not going to worry too much about league placement but will want to see an increased ability to kill off games when we are dominating and a bit more nouse when up against the proverbial parked bus. The net spend and ambition stuff , I will leave alone until after Christmas.

Last edited:
Good points. Overall, the teams who spend more & have more resources end up winning more.
I get the point about leicester spending little or liverpool wasting ££.
But apart from last season it is still a big spending club winning the title every year.

I am not as confident as you that all the big spending teams will be not as good as us next season.
You would expect at least 1 or 2 to be a lot better next season.

I like your no blame game.
but if we never blamed anyone we would still have AVB & gomes in goal..
& poch has already been ruthless in dishing out blame & getting rid of players.
2 players in goal might help tho

As has been pointed out. Levy is a business man first and 'maybe' a Football fan second. ENIC's modus operandi is to turn a profit. They have grown our club's value from the £22m they paid Sugar to a club currently valued in the region of £500m. ENIC did not buy our club to be a rich person's play thing, unlike City or the Chavs. Look at the likes of Woolwich and Dippers they were not bought to win trophies, they like ourselves need to be challenging for top 4 and CL riches, winning the titles is an aside to those goals.

ENIC have heavily invested in the club, we have one of the best training facilities in the country, soon to be one of the best stadiums as well. They are building a lasting legacy for the future. Not just for the here and now. Although some posters just want us to be spending big money on named players who are no guarantee of instant success. Give me an Alli and Dier for £11m over £120m for Pogba any day. Whose name would you prefer to be singing? The £100m money grabber or the guys who have worked their way into the first team?
yeah, & it has also made us a very stable & secure club which I like of course.
But if you do want to win lots of titles, then sadly you have to pay silly money for players(fees & wages).

Also remember there isn't either a 120m pogba or 5m alli.
There is a lot in between those 2.

Anyway, Woolwich have just had a 29m bid for lacazette turned down. vardy snubbed them too.
higuain is going to juve. They really are struggling to get a new striker in.
what a shame!

In a way I think you make sense but it really "Feels," as if we are progressing. No embarrassing penny pinching transfer saga, no Stars Madrid bound, signings in much needed areas, visible signs of construction work and a coach who demands effort and improvement.

It "Feels," like we know what we are doing, know what we want and as a result will perform well. I am not going to worry too much about league placement but will want to see an increased ability to kill off games when we are dominating and a bit more nouse when up against the proverbial parked bus. The net spend and ambition stuff , I will leave alone until after Christmas.
poch, scouting system, team ethic & spirit, the way we go about transfers, new stadium & training facilities, the youngsters in the team etc.
lots to be positive & happy about!

I'd agree we can improve on are killing off teams & also more creative/plan B against teams who park the bus.
& I would also throw in the burnout at the end of the season.
I feel like we need a bit of a cushion going in to the latter stages of the season.

poch, scouting system, team ethic & spirit, the way we go about transfers, new stadium & training facilities, the youngsters in the team etc.
lots to be positive & happy about!

I'd agree we can improve on are killing off teams & also more creative/plan B against teams who park the bus.
& I would also throw in the burnout at the end of the season.
I feel like we need a bit of a cushion going in to the latter stages of the season.

Missed out on cushioning by not signing Gotze. Although we did get Janssen who according to some is carrying some timber.

We might just be ok, as is, even if no one else comes in and Chadli, Mason and Carroll go. Our first eleven is probably still the same, but the kids might be decent back-ups against lower-quality opponents.

We completely shat it when it mattered. Calling it a blip is to commit a fanciful rewrite of history. Our season ended up being defined by a humiliating defeat to a relegation standard team which in turn allowed our arch rivals to leap frog us into second.
In the past now though, as long as they have learned by it! We can get our revenge when they get back in the EPL in about 5 years

Who would pay 9mil for a kid who was a sub once in the EPL and 8 for the opposite of the speed of light as a defender?
Someone who needs a brick shithouse of a CB and plays a low block, and someone who remembers what Pritchard did in the Championship and needs a creative number 10 with a high work rate, but can't afford anyone proven in a major European League.

Who would pay 9mil for a kid who was a sub once in the EPL and 8 for the opposite of the speed of light as a defender?

Bournemouth would pay the silly amount for Pritchard.

Fazio is a Europa League winning captain, he'll go to Villereal.

£10m for Bentaleb is decent, as he could turn out to be the second coming of Pogba for someone else.

I reckon Joe Allen for £13 million is a steal compared to some of the deals this summer.

Sadio Mané £34 million
Ahmed Musa £16 million
Wijnaldum £25 million

I reckon Joe Allen for £13 million is a steal compared to some of the deals this summer.

Sadio Mané £34 million
Ahmed Musa £16 million
Wijnaldum £25 million

Decent PL players on longer in favour can be picked up for good price as teams try to offload them. MotD players seem to have added £10m+ to their actual value.

Back
Top Bottom