Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Guys, what about Grieszman or Aubameyang?
I be happy with either of them. Can't see Levy paying bales weekly fees so him returning is a fantasy. Hope I eat my words though.
Aubameyang hates us and is on record saying he'll never join us.

If we really were to look at players from Real, how about the likes of Isco and James? Both seem on the out
James on far too much money. Isco would be incredible. Would be our best player.

Apart from Toby of course.

There's quite a few differences between then and now.

- 1st-3rd (most likely) vs 4th, meaning no qual so the group stage income is guarenteed.
- The performance this year makes it much more likely that CL will be a repeat affair.
- As does the squad average age now compared to then.
- It was more unlikely to be a repeat affair then because we took the final spot just ahead of City who everyone knew was about to nuts spending.
- New stadium incoming
- Naming rights still to sold (which a marquee signing would help with)
- Bigger TV deal
- FIFA/UEFA scandal meaning the CL-concept might change, and it might be now or never to get among the elite
- Whether we like or not, United is the gold standard in marketing, and if they miss out on CL again (with an unlikeable manager, compared to ours, no less), the time to strike and get market shares in emerging markets is now. Otherwise others, mostly City, will eat it up.

I think the arguement for stretching to buy a marquee signing is strong for commercial reasons. We have some very commercial players, like Kane, but actually someone a bit more arrogant could help us out commercially and bring in better sponsorship at a key time with our stadium, CL and being serious title contenders. It's about getting the right level of arrogance - VDV springs to mind. I also think that although Poch has got rid of players with egos, they weren't just players with egos, they were bad apples with bad attitudes as well. And it is different when you are the one inviting them in and your team already follow you without question as it sets limits for the player with the ego. I obviously don't want to see a nut job like Baloteli or whatever, but I think the right player with a bit about him could improve us and be commercially wise.

My 1st disagree with you Danny

Pls don't call that treacherous back stabbing lying greedy snake in the grass S*l

JUDAS will suffice

:carrollwtf:

I'm very drunk. I read then re-read what you said. Then I called the Guinness Book of Fucking whatever for the biggest cross country man hug.

Probably is, reality though is this is what we are told. But without doubt he would make sure he was the last off the pitch, he knew when the camera was on him. Just look at the work Kane puts in every game, never saw Bale work that hard, never saw Bale track back. Just don't think he would get selected ahead of Kane.
I enjoyed watching him play, I've sung his name but he wanted out, he has kissed the badge of another club on his first day. He means nothing to me now.
Life long Real fan! We all idolised Bale, but the way he forced his way out left a bitter after taste. He effectively feigned injury and went on strike. Is that a sign of a player who fits into the Pochettino ethos?

Life long Real fan! We all idolised Bale, but the way he forced his way out left a bitter after taste. He effectively feigned injury and went on strike. Is that a sign of a player who fits into the Pochettino ethos?

Not going to claim, you're wrong, because I know as much, or little as it were, as anyone else (outside the club) about what actually happened. However, wasn't it only AVB telling the press after the fact that the situation became such that we had to let him leave, ie. Bale did something behind the scenes to force the move? Or am I forgetting some info from some other source?

AVB has - it would seem - been playing fast and loose with the truth about transfer dealings, when with us, after leaving, so I'm not putting too much weight into his words.

Bale Pros:
  1. Still an extremely good player.
    2015-2016:
    24 games
    15 goals
    13 assists
    Goal/assist every 70 mins

2. The best player in the world we can possibly buy. A player of Bales stature isn't likely to normally join Tottenham, even if we finish 2nd, so this could be a one-off chance.

3. Athletically fit. I think, physically at least, he would fit into the system without any trouble. He's quick, he's tall, he's strong and he use to be a left back.

4. Commercial value. Bale carries a massive amount of sponsorship deals around with him, which in turn makes us look good and brings in money.

5. The sake of sentiment. A lot of used loved him and simply for that it would be nice to have him back.
Bale Cons:

1. Defensively poor. Despite being an ex-Left back his tackles per game stats are ridiculously low. On average he makes 1 tackle every 2 games, which raises questions over how well he'd fit into the system. Lamela made 9 against United. He seems to have turned into a luxury player.

2. Turned his back on the club. Despite seeing his best form with us, seeing us progress (Stadium, training centre etc) he still left. Many fans won't ever forgive this.

3. Blurs the set up. If Bale joined, you either drop Eriksen, Alli or Lamela. This could have an impact on their playing time and development (I view this differently as the Kane & Lukaku situation, as I think there's room for both). It puts a lot of plans up into smoke.

4. Cost. The Bale transfer fee will be at least £60m-80m. This would cost us the equivalent of 10-20% of the new stadium (Depending on what reports you read, some say £300m, some say £500m) and add years of interest to the debt.

5. Would he fit in? I'm not entirely sure the players would appreciate him coming back. I'd imagine a lot of them would be angry at him (Lloris, Jan, Walker) and would have moved on.

6. Age. He'll be 27 in the summer. If he moves to us his re-sale value will drop dramatically and when you sell him, he'll go for a lot less. It could also take him a year to understand the system.

I think the cons outweigh any positives. He could be 28 by the time he learns the system, he could cause disruptions in the dressing room, he may not fit into the pressing system and I think we can unearth some gems for far less that have the same output.

I think the goal is to keep the core of the team together, see the new stadium through and pay off the debt, while using the scouting system to find great players for low cost. Signing Bale goes against all of that. I vote no.

Why on earth would the club be eying marquee signings when this behaviour from the so called 'top clubs' has clearly not worked and the clubs own dalliance with the Bale money was largely a waste of time.

Get a good young hungry striker to support Harry and keep the pressure on his first team spot. Maybe a marquee signing will work here but the player has to be prepared to sit on the bench at least half the time.

All other positions sign hungry young players who are going to work their socks off to try to break into the first team and keep the pressure on the first team to maintain their spot.

I see the biggest shake up of the summer happening on the bench. The first team is pretty much sorted and will only get better the more they play together.

Well I for one would take him back, buy no way Levy will roll with his wages and the buy back price (he might just bid once to get the price up the sneaky devil) plus Poch already said earlier this season that with all the coming stadium move we're not gonna spend big in the market for a while

Please name a club that have two top strikers alternating for one spot in a 4-2-3-1 succesfully. It doesn't work.

Dzeko, Negredo, Bony in City all failed as backups to Aguero. Lukaku would do the same for us.

If we'd buy him.

Which we wouldn't. Because he's not the type we need. Because we haven't got the money to pay what Everton would demand. Because he wouldn't join us without a guarantee that he'd be first choice.

Read my post again mate. I said Lukaku is pushing it. Sorry but are you really suggesting we shouldn't be trying to buy the best fit and best quality that we can within our limits to have a second striker in the squad? It's fucking madness we went into this season and again from January like it but, it looks like we've got away with it. That said, when drawing or losing games, who's to say that another proper striker wouldn't have helped us pinch a few more points??! It's as easy to claim it would have than to just insist it's made no difference.

One thing is for sure, lucking out with Kane staying fit and firing for the entirety of another 50+ game season will be massively fortunate, not a clever judgment by Levy or Poch.

Let's just get these next 5 wins and see what happens first before worrying about the summer anyway hey.

Not going to claim, you're wrong, because I know as much, or little as it were, as anyone else (outside the club) about what actually happened. However, wasn't it only AVB telling the press after the fact that the situation became such that we had to let him leave, ie. Bale did something behind the scenes to force the move? Or am I forgetting some info from some other source?

AVB has - it would seem - been playing fast and loose with the truth about transfer dealings, when with us, after leaving, so I'm not putting too much weight into his words.

There was the dubious injury that flared up when he was supposed to play in a few friendlies, didn't he go on the tour (to Asia?) but not do any appearances? Then he didn't turn up for training but was spotted out about in his pink shorts? There were a lot of things going on. Rumour was his agent Jonathan Barnett was really pushing for the move to happen. Soon as he signed for Real the injury disappeared. All of this doesn't matter any more we have moved on and I think 3 years down the road we are a better team for it.

Read my post again mate. I said Lukaku is pushing it. Sorry but are you really suggesting we shouldn't be trying to buy the best fit and best quality that we can within our limits to have a second striker in the squad? It's fucking madness we went into this season and again from January like it but, it looks like we've got away with it. That said, when drawing or losing games, who's to say that another proper striker wouldn't have helped us pinch a few more points??! It's as easy to claim it would have than to just insist it's made no difference.

One thing is for sure, lucking out with Kane staying fit and firing for the entirety of another 50+ game season will be massively fortunate, not a clever judgment by Levy or Poch.

Let's just get these next 5 wins and see what happens first before worrying about the summer anyway hey.

We should definately be trying to find primarily the best fit. Going for quality as the primary attribute will leave us with a Benteke-Liverpool situation.

We should not go for a pure striker, but someone who can get game time in an AM position when Kane occupies the striker spot.

We should definately be trying to find primarily the best fit. Going for quality as the primary attribute will leave us with a Benteke-Liverpool situation.

We should not go for a pure striker, but someone who can get game time in an AM position when Kane occupies the striker spot.

A player who will be a detriment to Eriksen, Lamela & Alli? We need a back up for Kane, not someone who plays in a different position that can 'fill in'. Those players are harder to find than a replacement for Chadli.

We need a backup for Kane who doesn't have to spend 90% of league time on the bench.

Someone like Chadli or Son, imo, if they can improve on their current form.

With the Euros coming up we need to be careful with Kane, don't want him suffering burn out. He's played a lot of football in the last two years, we cannot risk his fitness and health. I want us to sign a striker, another No. 9.

Chadli and Son should only be back up in case of injury to Kane and 'second' striker.

People turning down Bale :pritchardeyes:

It's only when a players not good enough that they leave on good terms.

Fact is Levy is a tough negotiator so drags out deals which causes players to get pissed off. It's a job at the end of the day and these players get offered a significant pay rise with more successful clubs.

When someone like Townsend who loved the club is sold, no one is up in arms then. No point taking a player leaving personally, fans are just as mercenary when they want to oust someone who's not good enough

Sure, but the continued pining for him and god-like status is a little ridiculous as well.
tcJoNBl.gif

8507483605_e1025f0553_o.gif

If that's not god-like...

Back
Top Bottom