Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, if gifs are now the basis for declaring god-like status, I personally find this more amazing...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/315976/danny-rose-spurs-v-Woolwich-o.gif

ALL HAIL DANNY ROSE, GOD OF THE LANE!!

Kane has already out scored Bale in far less games, why are we still pining for him? He's gone, done!

Let's concentrate on what we have, we've performed far better as a side this season, than we ever did with Bale. We owe him a debt of gratitude for what he did do and for delivering Eriksen, Lamela and to a lesser extent Chadli.

Kane has already out scored Bale in far less games, why are we still pining for him? He's gone, done!

Let's concentrate on what we have, we've performed far better as a side this season, than we ever did with Bale. We owe him a debt of gratitude for what he did do and for delivering Eriksen, Lamela and to a lesser extent Chadli.

Who wants Bale instead of what we've got now? Nobody probably but, we can all dream of having him AS WELL AS who we have now and we'd be winning the league. We can be as loyal as we want to Lamela, Chadli and Son but if Bale was fit and playing in behind Kane with Alli and Eriksen......wow!

Who wants Bale instead of what we've got now? Nobody probably but, we can all dream of having him AS WELL AS who we have now and we'd be winning the league. We can be as loyal as we want to Lamela, Chadli and Son but if Bale was fit and playing in behind Kane with Alli and Eriksen......wow!

Why not dream of having Luka back as well?

We should be looking to the future.

Bale returning would cost £££ will disrupt the harmony of our squad.

Yes he was, but the manner of his exit - not turning up for training for example - left a bitter taste for many. And we've improved beyond recognition without him.
That is true, and on balance I think that the move doesn't make much sense anymore, but to be honest I get a little bit wet thinking about how much chaos he'd create running in behind Kane and those amazing shots from distance.

But if we're talking about amazingly high profile transfers that have zero chance of happening, I'd take Griezmann before Bale at the moment. A lot of the same strengths, but none of the additional baggage, and we need a left inside forward a bit more at the moment than a right sided inside forward, now that more people are getting on board with what Lamela brings to the team. We were very highly touted for Griezmann before he chose A. Madrid. Too late now.

Bale Pros:
  1. Still an extremely good player.
    2015-2016:
    24 games
    15 goals
    13 assists
    Goal/assist every 70 mins

2. The best player in the world we can possibly buy. A player of Bales stature isn't likely to normally join Tottenham, even if we finish 2nd, so this could be a one-off chance.

3. Athletically fit. I think, physically at least, he would fit into the system without any trouble. He's quick, he's tall, he's strong and he use to be a left back.

4. Commercial value. Bale carries a massive amount of sponsorship deals around with him, which in turn makes us look good and brings in money.

5. The sake of sentiment. A lot of used loved him and simply for that it would be nice to have him back.
Bale Cons:

1. Defensively poor. Despite being an ex-Left back his tackles per game stats are ridiculously low. On average he makes 1 tackle every 2 games, which raises questions over how well he'd fit into the system. Lamela made 9 against United. He seems to have turned into a luxury player.

2. Turned his back on the club. Despite seeing his best form with us, seeing us progress (Stadium, training centre etc) he still left. Many fans won't ever forgive this.

3. Blurs the set up. If Bale joined, you either drop Eriksen, Alli or Lamela. This could have an impact on their playing time and development (I view this differently as the Kane & Lukaku situation, as I think there's room for both). It puts a lot of plans up into smoke.

4. Cost. The Bale transfer fee will be at least £60m-80m. This would cost us the equivalent of 10-20% of the new stadium (Depending on what reports you read, some say £300m, some say £500m) and add years of interest to the debt.

5. Would he fit in? I'm not entirely sure the players would appreciate him coming back. I'd imagine a lot of them would be angry at him (Lloris, Jan, Walker) and would have moved on.

6. Age. He'll be 27 in the summer. If he moves to us his re-sale value will drop dramatically and when you sell him, he'll go for a lot less. It could also take him a year to understand the system.

I think the cons outweigh any positives. He could be 28 by the time he learns the system, he could cause disruptions in the dressing room, he may not fit into the pressing system and I think we can unearth some gems for far less that have the same output.

I think the goal is to keep the core of the team together, see the new stadium through and pay off the debt, while using the scouting system to find great players for low cost. Signing Bale goes against all of that. I vote no.
An excellent, balanced analysis. I agree with you, no time to look back - the future is where it's at.

It's the same principle as with ex girlfriends - never go back, no matter how tempting it may seem. It's never as good as the first time!

I don't get where this baggage thing is coming from? Apart from his manner of leaving, he never caused drama, was a popular player, a leader and celebrated others' goals as much as his own.

Rafa had more of an ego when he left than Bale yet we all, correctly, adore the guy.

Just because you join Real Madrid doesn't mean you suddenly become some egotistical maniac.

His views on Spurs since leaving have been nothing but holding us in the highest regard and saying how much he loves us.

Why must we make shit up to slander one of our greats. He left for Real Madrid, I don't begrudge him it.

Fix up people, ffs.

I don't want him back but boy do I remember the good he did.

You lot are like scorned girlfriends.

Exactly, he provided us with numerous moments of quality during his time and his leaving was the catalyst of our greatness now.

What is not to like?
He was fantastic for us Schmoods, all I'm saying is I wouldn't want him back. It's only my opinion, but if he did come back (which he won't) I feel he would disrupt the amazing team spirit that Poch has created. This is not meant to denigrate his achievements with us - he's a fabulous player.

Am I the only person who doesn't rate Eriksen as irreplaceable? I like him as a player, but I really don't think he shows enough moments of quality to merit his untouchable status a lot of people have given him. I find that he's equally as capable as Chadli of just being anonymous in games and a number of his corners this season in particular have been embarrassing for a player with his ability.

I don't get where this baggage thing is coming from? Apart from his manner of leaving, he never caused drama, was a popular player, a leader and celebrated others' goals as much as his own.

Rafa had more of an ego when he left than Bale yet we all, correctly, adore the guy.

Just because you join Real Madrid doesn't mean you suddenly become some egotistical maniac.

His views on Spurs since leaving have been nothing but holding us in the highest regard and saying how much he loved us.

Why must we make shit up to slander one of our greats. He left for Real Madrid, I don't begrudge him it.

Fix up people, ffs.

I can somewhat agree with you, and it was all down to business too. We were in a turbulent time, when he left and I do like him personally. It's just that he joined Real that makes me feel detest :pochserious2:

Am I the only person who doesn't rate Eriksen as irreplaceable? I like him as a player, but I really don't think he shows enough moments of quality to merit his untouchable status a lot of people have given him. I find that he's equally as capable as Chadli of just being anonymous in games and a number of his corners this season in particular have been embarrassing for a player with his ability.
I think you're wrong about Eriksen, just watch him. He's always involved, and his fast recycling of the ball is vital to our style. Poch has said as much, and I think he's right (obviously).

I really don't get where the idea that having Bale back would disrupt harmony and anger the squad. He's never caused any dressing room drama here or in Madrid. Hell, having a player of Bale's quality in the squad would be a huge boost to the squads morale.

Unless you're Chadli then you're like :chadliwtf: "I count Me, Eriksen, Gareth and Son for the Left Wing. I hope they really buy into my playing as a striker spiel." :chadliblow:

Exactly, he provided us with numerous moments of quality during his time and his leaving was the catalyst of our greatness now.

What is not to like?

I just see the pining for Bale as a pipe dream. Much like Utd fans thinking Ronaldo returning to them. We've moved on and so has he, it wasn't like he was forced out. We gave him every opportunity to stay but he wanted to go.

His return would be a detriment to the harmony we have within our squad.

I think you're wrong about Eriksen, just watch him. He's always involved, and his fast recycling of the ball is vital to our style. Poch has said as much, and I think he's right (obviously).

I'm not saying he's a bad player, I'm just saying he hasn't overly impressed me this season in particular. I feel he doesn't score as much as he should and I feel he doesn't create as well as he could a lot of the times. Maybe I'm just judging him too harshly, but I do want to see better numbers from him next season, definitely.

His potential is sky high though. Still young. Essential player for me.

I just see the pining for Bale as a pipe dream. Much like Utd fans thinking Ronaldo returning to them. We've moved on and so has he, it wasn't like he was forced out. We gave him every opportunity to stay but he wanted to go.

His return would be a detriment to the harmony we have within our squad.

Based on what evidence? Did he shit in Kyle Walkers coffee machine before he left? Maybe he primarily uses the N word when talking to Danny Rose? Maybe the rest of the team will feel like a player of his lack of quality is a step backwards for the club?

It is a pipe dream, but he wouldn't be a detriment to the harmony one bit.

Back
Top Bottom