Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just see the pining for Bale as a pipe dream. Much like Utd fans thinking Ronaldo returning to them. We've moved on and so has he, it wasn't like he was forced out. We gave him every opportunity to stay but he wanted to go.

His return would be a detriment to the harmony we have within our squad.
Don't see how anything he's done as a player or person would warrant saying he'd effect the dressing room negatively.

Many of our players have shared a dressing room with him for starters.

But yea, he's not coming back.

Well you don't know that anymore than I think he would. Shifting the emphasis on to one player, earning £200,000 a week more than Harry Kane, would hurt the 'team' ethic that's brought us this far. Only my opinion.

I reckon the most we would pay him would be 200,000 a week anyway tbh. And in that hugely unlikely scenario I would imagine that the other players would understand that he wouldn't want to take a massive pay cut to return. Let's face facts, would any of us really take a 150K a week pay cut in our job if we didn't actually have to?

Well you don't know that anymore than I think he would. Shifting the emphasis on to one player, earning £200,000 a week more than Harry Kane, would hurt the 'team' ethic that's brought us this far. Only my opinion.

I agree with your opinion, having one player earning £150k+ pw compared to others on a lot less will have an affect on morale knowing that one player earns more than the likes of Kane, Alli, Toby, Lloris etc who are now our established stars. They would expect parity, Pochettino has carefully created unity within the squad and a minor variable could knock that completely. The star is the collective with this squad not anyone player.

Why not dream of having Luka back as well?

We should be looking to the future.

Bale returning would cost £££ will disrupt the harmony of our squad.

It's a dream, he's not coming back but Luka as well.....yes please.

Tell you what, if we were offered Messi for peanuts and he wanted to come, would you say we shouldn't bother as he'd expect to start all the time, we'd ruin N'Jie's chances of breaking through and disrupt the harmony of the squad?

Ok maybe that if as extreme as it gets but, suggesting we wouldn't want or improve for having Bale back seems odd to me and he's in the next bracket of world class star behind Messi and Ronaldo.

Tell you what, if we were offered Messi for peanuts and he wanted to come, would you say we shouldn't bother as he'd expect to start all the time, we'd ruin N'Jie's chances of breaking through and disrupt the harmony of the squad?

Ok maybe that if as extreme as it gets but, suggesting we wouldn't want or improve for having Bale back seems odd to me and he's in the next bracket of world class star behind Messi and Ronaldo.

He hasn't improved Real Madrid - why do you think he'd improve us? We're title challenging now, when he was here we were scuffing about 4th or 5th. I just don't get it. With respect, l think you're living in the past.

That is the most fucked up and comically over-exaggerated ridiculous example that I have ever heard.

He hasn't improved Real Madrid - why do you think he'd improve us? We're title challenging now, when he was here we were scuffing about 4th or 5th. I just don't get it. With respect, l think you're living in the past.

Didn't he score the winner in the Champions League Final?

He's been injured a lot and Real have been lurching around manager wise since.

It's Fantasy Football and not happening and I agree we are a better team now however, I just think a fit Bale improves the team further.

Are you saying we have the perfect team, impossible to improve?

Didn't he score the winner in the Champions League Final?

He's been injured a lot and Real have been lurching around manager wise since.

It's Fantasy Football and not happening and I agree we are a better team now however, I just think a fit Bale improves the team further.

Are you saying we have the perfect team, impossible to improve?

No, we should always be looking to improve. I can think of 4 players I'd be happy to see see go if it meant we would improve the squad.

On the Bale front I was thinking about something I heard on Football Weekly, something like Football in Spain is all about the superstars and in the Premier League, it's all about the managers. It's a massive simplification but there is some truth in it.

What has happened with the rise of Leicester and strong performances from sides without expensive signings is a narrative shift. We see Manchester United looking passed their best with the exception of their youth products, Man City looking inconsistent at best despite having the highest paid squad, Chelsea, with a League winning squad looking pretty mediocre. It's got to a point where you have to ask is there value in paying £30m+ or over £200k per week on a single player?

Our transfer approach this season has just about been right. With the caveat of the probable failure to get strong cover for Kane.

The interesting thing for me is that now it's not so important to me that we go balls out on spending for a galacticos type of player, just that we get players who match the team profile, have the work ethic and are not looking to be the centre of attention, seems that a harmony within the squad should be the priority. I think we now face the next transfer window with a completely different mentality to previous seasons.

On the Bale front I was thinking about something I heard on Football Weekly, something like Football in Spain is all about the superstars and in the Premier League, it's all about the managers. It's a massive simplification but there is some truth in it.

I think this is only partly true with regards La Liga as beyond Real Madrid and Barcelona, there is more of an emphasis on the squad of players rather collection of galacticos. Which is not to dissimilar to here. The difference being the PL teams below the elite have a lot more money due to a better commercial share of the pot. Thus allowing them to sign better players. This season has really highlighted that fact. The middling teams in La Liga have more home grown talents within their sides as they cannot all afford to go and buy ready made players from abroad.

I highly doubt anyone is advocating bringing Bale back if he'd be detrimental to the squad harmony. Likewise it's beyond questioning that Poch would do so. As such, I do agree that him coming back is unlikely since it's both a question of whether what Poch can gather of intel on Bale's mental state and attitude, whether Bale would want to come back himself, and whether Levy would finance it.

I just happen to think, however unlikely, that it's less unlikely than the generel feeling here, and unlike some I would want him back. I can understand why some wouldn't. We all have our different levels of tolerance when players leave. For instance, I wouldn't take back Modric if it was on, because I feel his way of leaving was much worse than Bale's.

I remember this being reported last month - not a marquee signing, but one I can see happening someday. Think he's the captain for England U19s and I read somewhere he is a Spurs fan!

Lens' Taylor Moore tracked by Tottenham, West Ham - source
i

Taylor Moore, left, is currently playing for Ligue 2 side Lens.
Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United, Crystal Palace and Southampton are tracking England under-19 captain Taylor Moore, a source has told ESPN FC.

Moore, who spent time with the West Ham academy as a child, is currently playing at Lens after his family moved to France at the age of seven.

The 18-year-old central defender has made five appearances in the Lens first-team and progressed through the England youth ranks from U17 to U19.

A source close to the player told ESPN FC said Spurs, West Ham, Palace and Southampton have all sent scouts to watch him play for England's U19s in their Elite Round of games against Georgia, Greece and Spain in the next five days.

Moore has been tipped to follow in the footsteps of Eric Dier, who has become a key part of Mauricio Pochettino's Tottenham side as well as earning two caps with the senior England team.

Speaking in August, Moore told the Daily Mail: "I admire Eric Dier very much, he's got the exact same story as me.

"He's been brought up in Portugal and played his football out there and I admire him for making the leap back over to England and doing as well as he did last season.

"I still feel I'm far from what I could possibly do. Dier moved back at the right time. I think it would be interesting to see what I could still achieve out here in France."

Lens are currently seventh in Ligue 2.

I remember this being reported last month - not a marquee signing, but one I can see happening someday. Think he's the captain for England U19s and I read somewhere he is a Spurs fan!

Lens' Taylor Moore tracked by Tottenham, West Ham - source
i

Taylor Moore, left, is currently playing for Ligue 2 side Lens.
Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United, Crystal Palace and Southampton are tracking England under-19 captain Taylor Moore, a source has told ESPN FC.

Moore, who spent time with the West Ham academy as a child, is currently playing at Lens after his family moved to France at the age of seven.

The 18-year-old central defender has made five appearances in the Lens first-team and progressed through the England youth ranks from U17 to U19.

A source close to the player told ESPN FC said Spurs, West Ham, Palace and Southampton have all sent scouts to watch him play for England's U19s in their Elite Round of games against Georgia, Greece and Spain in the next five days.

Moore has been tipped to follow in the footsteps of Eric Dier, who has become a key part of Mauricio Pochettino's Tottenham side as well as earning two caps with the senior England team.

Speaking in August, Moore told the Daily Mail: "I admire Eric Dier very much, he's got the exact same story as me.

"He's been brought up in Portugal and played his football out there and I admire him for making the leap back over to England and doing as well as he did last season.

"I still feel I'm far from what I could possibly do. Dier moved back at the right time. I think it would be interesting to see what I could still achieve out here in France."

Lens are currently seventh in Ligue 2.

Dier Mk2, back up for CDM sorted then :dierno:

As usual - we'd be looking to offload in order to raise funds, reduce the salary bill. etc

I'm guessing Chadli, Carrol, Bentaleb and Yedlin would all be on the list of possible departures - Mason might stick around one more season

That is the most fucked up and comically over-exaggerated ridiculous example that I have ever heard.

Well we don't want or need Lukaku, we don't want or need Bale, just trying to find our level mate. I stand by it, Messi and Ronaldo are the world's best and then there is a bracket of player that includes the likes of Bale, Suarez, Lewandoski etc.

I personally don't see Chadli being sold to raise funds. He's a useful squad player and continues to pick up points for the club. If he was as useless as Townsend we would sell, but he isn't. He's a very versatile attacking player with some good ability and decent decision making. The fact he gets so many goals/assists means we will likely keep him around, even just as a squad player/bench player. He's a good sub to have and is a drastic step up from when we had the likes of David "always looking to replicate that 40 yard screamer" Bentley.

Back
Top Bottom