Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
A seriously flawed team that consisted of Bale, Modric, VDV, Sandro, Lennon, King, that finished 4th, 5th and 4th and got to a CL quarter final in its first season in the tournament? Some flaws that.
You didn't read the post at all. But with the exception of Bale and Modic where are the others, most were held together with bandaids and could barely walk, some couldn't even finish a game whilst, others couldn't train and play more than one game on the spin.

Make your mind up, one minute you're talking down modern football and getting into CL, but here you are lording getting to the QF's??!!

Now let's not embarrass ourselves here with such statements.

They are richest club on the planet, they are the biggest and most successful club in English football. They broke the world transfer record last season despite not being in the CL. They are every bit an elite club, their capacity dictates that.

We may not like this but it is a reality and players will still be desperate to join them, they pay the highest wages in the game firstly and secondarily their capacity means that they will get back to challenging for the highest honors soon. They are simply to wealthy for this malaise to continue.

Go suck up to United somewhere else, please. You sound like a MU fan, thinking they can have anyone they want.

Yeah, they managed to get Pogba, someone who had history there and had something to prove. Do you really think they'd be as fucking shit as they've been for years if they could get whatever they wanted?

Darmian, Bailly, Lindløf, Rojo, Blind - the defenders they've signed the last few years haven't excactly been world class, have they? Schneiderlin, Fellaini, Herrera...

They had to get an out-of-contract Zlatan to fill their gaping FW hole, that is gaping once again.

They may be rich and commercially succesful, but they suck at sports.

No that is the solution, we apply rotation to the league as well as the cup tournaments which is something which we have never done. We don't play weakened teams in the early rounds like we did in the league cup. If we play in the UEFA cup we don't throw the tournament like we did against Dortmund or play in such a disinterested manner against Gent. There is a clear disconnect between our Cup performances and a league ones, rectifying that would be the start. Tell me what do you think our solution should be?

Thanks. I would broadly agree with those sentiments.

Don't make me laugh - their fanbase is reacting to not winning the league for years, yet you paint them as a group of principled deep thinkers on the evils of the modern game. Hilarious and wrong.

Their fanbase is reacting against a club that is solely focused on increasing its revenue streams, that openly stated CL qualification constitutes silverware, that retains hundreds of millions in cash reserves and does not utilise for the squad. A fanbase that was was told that its capital projects would postion them against the elite but did not. If we are not careful we could easily follow the same path as them.

Definitely.

I'd also say that them "discovering" the 3 at the back 2 months before us was key. Our form from mid-Dec was pretty sensational. Hull at home the first time we implemeted the formation. Chavs mid-Oct I think after their goons horror show.

If only Poch would pay more attention to this site. I said we should go three at the back several years ago.

You didn't read the post at all. But with the exception of Bale and Modic where are the others, most were held together with bandaids and could barely walk, some couldn't even finish a game whilst, others couldn't train and play more than one game on the spin.

Make your mind up, one minute you're talking down modern football and getting into CL, but here you are lording getting to the QF's??!!

King and VDV are retired whilst Sandro's career was effectively put an end by injury. Whatever your view on Redknapp is and I was never an of his that was a hugely talented side that did extremely well in a tournament that it hasn't played in before and is structured to benefit the elite sides. That side was easily good enough to win a UEFA cup, FA Cup and league cup and it failed to do so because largely it didn't even try too.

I am just pointing out our best 11 only started twice last season so the "who do you drop" argument was very irrelevant.
I would think that most games you would have 1 of the best 11 injured, tired, suspended or out of form.
Unless we have a miracle season where our starting 11 stays fit, in form & don't tire. Last season they managed it twice.

I think you could easily sign a top player & fit them in most of our games without having to just drop 1 of our best 11 every time.

If there is a fairly expensive player who poch wants, then I am all for it even if some aren't.

I think you're forgetting that when we have ten out of eleven of our first eleven, we may not be missing the same guy every time. Meaning, if we buy this mystery New Player, he won't get a place in the starting eleven 36 out of 38 games just because we could only field our strongest 11 for two games.

Hugo missed some, Walker some, Rose some, Verts, Toby, Dembele, Kane. This New fella would have to be quite the versatile fucker should he get more than ten games without replacing an injury-free first eleven player.

I don't get that from his posts. What I do get is a bloke who's happy where we are, and with the team he supports. I think support is an alien concept with you.

I would add Joe that from his posts he's a fan who's seen the ups and downs and seen some of the awful tripe we delivered for long spells whilst just dreaming of being competitive.

We have changed so much as a club over the last 10-15 years and especially the last 2-3 years.

I for one have been and am in it for the long haul and I'm enjoying the ride so much at the moment. It may be slow but we are doing it our way, the right way, the Spurs way. :tobyarm:

Good night!

Their fanbase is reacting against a club that is solely focused on increasing its revenue streams, that openly stated CL qualification constitutes silverware, that retains hundreds of millions in cash reserves and does not utilise for the squad. A fanbase that was was told that its capital projects would postion them against the elite but did not. If we are not careful we could easily follow the same path as them.

Yet 3 FA cups in 4 years hasn't mollified them. They don't seem too bothered about silverware to me, but you appear to be championing their stance? I find this odd.

Yet 3 FA cups in 4 years hasn't mollified them. They don't seem too bothered about silverware to me, but you appear to be championing their stance? I find this odd.

I am championing the stance they have taken because this is the only semblenace of a reaction against this. Their supporterbase is undoubtedly greedy but those Cup wins have masked many ills at that club.

King and VDV are retired whilst Sandro's career was effectively put an end by injury. Whatever your view on Redknapp is and I was never an of his that was a hugely talented side that did extremely well in a tournament that it hasn't played in before and is structured to benefit the elite sides. That side was easily good enough to win a UEFA cup, FA Cup and league cup and it failed to do so because largely it didn't even try too.
That side would get hammered by the one we have now.

I am championing the stance they have taken because this is the only semblenace of a reaction against this. Their supporterbase is undoubtedly greedy but those Cup wins have masked many ills at that club.

So, not 'cured' then; merely "masked"....?

Last edited:
Woolwich fans haven't taken a stance against anything. They are currently the worst example of a fairweather fanbase that view their club as a fashion accessory rather than a lifetime commitment.

Not really the point.
The point is we are a genuinely decent side. A side that are title contenders, we have never been that in my lifetime, which is getting on to half a century. I have allways looked towards a cup because that has been our place, never expecting mind you, but hopeful. A cup also requires luck, luck of the draw and luck within the game. The best teams don't win cups and that's where the hope comes in. A cup win is great don't get me wrong but it's a snort of coke, the joy is short lived, within weeks the new season has kicked off and the drubbings begin again.

I've had a smile stuck on my face for two seasons now, why? Because we are the real deal, 2nd best in the league and improving with ever game. I love being this good.

The reason why the scum are screaming is in no small part in reaction to what we are doing. The hatred towards us is growing, it's real and it's from multiple clubs. They are shitting themselves and I'm loving it.

Last edited:
The point is we a genuinely decent side. A side that are title contenders, we have never been that in my lifetime, which is getting on to half a century. I have allways looked towards a cup because that has been our place, never expecting mind you, but hopeful. A cup also requires luck, luck of the draw and luck within the game. The best teams don't win cups and that's where the hope comes in. A cup win is great don't get me wrong but it's a snort of coke, the joy is short lived, within weeks the new season has kicked off and the drubbings begins again.

I've had a smile stuck on my face for two seasons now, why? Because we are the real deal, 2nd best in the league and improving with ever game. I love being this good.

The reason why the scum are screaming is in no small part in reaction to what we are doing. The hatred towards us is growing, it's real and it's from multiple clubs. They are shitting themselves and I'm loving it.

Bravo!!

This is the best Spurs side since the early 60s

And it's going to get better!

For the past 50 odd years most of the time when I meet someone new and the conversation quite rightly turns to the beautiful game I've always been a bit apprehensive when I have to admit to supporting Spurs expecting some stick!

Not now

Loud and proud me

:pochohshit:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom