Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use this thread as an aggregator for Twitter rumours but it's been nothing but babble since about page 290. I will continue to enter and skim through in the hope a beautiful embedded tweet says we've agreed a deal for Barkley/Ginter/Crouch

I think what Ossie Wembley is saying is that if Poch would just save his game before we play, he could go back to the saved game if we don't win. I've won everything in football using this method and I really can't understand why Poch and Levy haven't done the same.

:pochsmirk:

FM and FIFA have wrecked a generation of fans. If he doesn't play those games then Ossie Wembley is just deluded with high expectations. Despite what some fans of successful clubs think, no one is assured of winning a trophy. This "Spurs need to win a trophy now" crap has come from the media because they have to be either building a team up or pulling them down to sell newspapers/get viewers/get clicks. So now if we challenge for the title again this season but fail to win anything, they can hammer us even if there has been further improvement in the team. They want nothing more then to have the old Sky 4 + City come in and take all our exciting young players and then see us fighting with Everton for 6th and a Europa League run. "See, I told you Spurs didn't belong fighting for the title ... See I told you all that Kane, Dele, Toby, Walker, Rose, Eriksen, Son etc were too good for little old Spurs and had to move on ... "
Fuck the media and fuck deluded fans. We are contenders for the title and outplaying some of the richest clubs in the world. The future is bright ...

Aussie Joe Aussie Joe ... This "Spurs need to win a trophy now" crap has come from the media...

Harry Kane said:
"i just want to win trophies, i just want to win. i don't think there's a day that goes past where i wake up and think; i want to win something. i want to win the premier league, i want to win the champions league, i want to win. in three years time if i haven't won a few trophies by then, i think it will be disappointing."

and he's right. the club need to deliver silverware, it's what football players are here to do (well, the very best and a few lucky ones - Gary Mabbutt's thigh)

this is the limbo for the coming season. while at the moment i'm walking around with a grin of my face, enjoy the cerebral highs, another year without a trophy and the shouts from manchester will be louder.

of course, the club can rebuild a new team and no doubt will in the future but, it would be a shame to have a team this good that couldn't deliver on player's aspirations.

I think what Ossie Wembley is saying is that if Poch would just save his game before we play, he could go back to the saved game if we don't win. I've won everything in football using this method and I really can't understand why Poch and Levy haven't done the same.

:pochsmirk:

FM and FIFA have wrecked a generation of fans. If he doesn't play those games then Ossie Wembley is just deluded with high expectations. Despite what some fans of successful clubs think, no one is assured of winning a trophy. This "Spurs need to win a trophy now" crap has come from the media because they have to be either building a team up or pulling them down to sell newspapers/get viewers/get clicks. So now if we challenge for the title again this season but fail to win anything, they can hammer us even if there has been further improvement in the team. They want nothing more then to have the old Sky 4 + City come in and take all our exciting young players and then see us fighting with Everton for 6th and a Europa League run. "See, I told you Spurs didn't belong fighting for the title ... See I told you all that Kane, Dele, Toby, Walker, Rose, Eriksen, Son etc were too good for little old Spurs and had to move on ... "
Fuck the media and fuck deluded fans. We are contenders for the title and outplaying some of the richest clubs in the world. The future is bright ...

No the '90s have created a generation of passive supporters who have and place little to no expectations on the side. The fact that you claim it is deluded to have expectations of silverware about one the most talented sides in the league is ample demonstration of that. How many more decades without silverware have to go by before it is acceptable to say that something isn't right here hey? The whole media conspiracy nonsense is also indicative of this mentality. The media rightly recognise the talent we possess, state that the outcome of possessing such talent is silverware and that this needs to be realised but this is nothing more than a grand conspricacy against our club? What utter paranoid nonsense. We started this process in 2004, we adopted the DOF model and invested in youth to obtain a side that could challenge at the highest level. We have now reached that point of that process and yet the reaction amongst many supporters is to still live in this supposed future success. The whole future is bright comment is a perfect example of that.

Last edited:
Aussie Joe Aussie Joe ... This "Spurs need to win a trophy now" crap has come from the media...

and he's right. the club need to deliver silverware, it's what football players are here to do (well, the very best and a few lucky ones - Gary Mabbutt's thigh)

this is the limbo for the coming season. while at the moment i'm walking around with a grin of my face, enjoy the cerebral highs, another year without a trophy and the shouts from manchester will be louder.

of course, the club can rebuild a new team and no doubt will in the future but, it would be a shame to have a team this good that couldn't deliver on player's aspirations.

Clearly the solution is that Kane stops playing FIFA and believing the lies of then press hating Spurs media.

And it just demonstrates how warped the modern game is when supporters can make such statements. My prioritisation is silverware as it should be for any supporter. The club should always strive to achieve success not simply addtional revenues streams through league placings.

What the fuck is warped about that? Winning trophies is a warped focus, imo, particularly when you count community shield and the league cups as trophies that mean anything. The euro league, particularly this season, required Utd to beat a string of teams that would barely survive in the Championship.

To win it they embarrassed themselves in the league, and they played the type of football that works well in cups: A Park-the-bus snoozefest style.

Our second place in the league meant we were entertained and could watch our team with pride pretty much every game of the season. The average United fan, however, was disgraced and unhappy, watching their billion pound team only beaten by Boro to have the lowest number of goals in their games. Throughout the season we were the most entertained and happy bunch. That's what means something, not who got the Community Shield trophy in a friendly.

What the fuck is warped about that? Winning trophies is a warped focus, imo, particularly when you count community shield and the league cups as trophies that mean anything. The euro league, particularly this season, required Utd to beat a string of teams that would barely survive in the Championship.

To win it they embarrassed themselves in the league, and they played the type of football that works well in cups: A Park-the-bus snoozefest style.

Our second place in the league meant we were entertained and could watch our team with pride pretty much every game of the season. The average United fan, however, was disgraced and unhappy, watching their billion pound team only beaten by Boro to have the lowest number of goals in their games. Throughout the season we were the most entertained and happy bunch. That's what means something, not who got the Community Shield trophy in a friendly.

And there you have it, how far the rot has set in when someone can say that winning trophies is considered a warped focus. If that doesn't highlight the madness of the modern game and supporter I am not sure what will.

The history books remember silverware, no one cares or remembers about finishing second. Woolwich did that the season before, so what? Their FA Cup win will be their reference point for future success, that will the measure for them.

And you can mock the UEFA cup all you want but that is a trophy that we have consistently failed in despite often being the wealthiest club in the tournament.

No the '90s have created a generation of passive supporters who have and place little to no expectations on the side. The fact that you claim it is deluded to have expectations of silverware about one the most talented sides in the league is ample demonstration of that. How many more decades without silverware have to go by before it is acceptable to say that something isn't right here hey? The whole media conspiracy nonsense is also indicative of this mentality. The media rightly recognise the talent we possess, state that the outcome of possessing such talent is silverware and that this needs to be realised but this is nothing more than a grand conspricacy against our club? What utter paranoid nonsense. We started this process in 2004, we adopted the DOF model and invested in youth to obtain a side that could challenge at the highest level. We have now reached that point of that process and yet the reaction amongst many supporters is to still live in this supposed future success. The whole future is bright comment is a perfect example of that.
You sound exactly like that chubby fella on Woolwich fan TV. Allways having a pop at supporters, it's the fans fault. Fuck off.

Poch and this team carrying the weight of previous teams and management, fuck off. He's been at this club for just 3 years!

Passive? I expect us to be challenging for a title for a third successive season, whilst you are praying we win the Caraboa Cup. Oh dear.

Things must be real slow on Red Cafe ,,,,,

Man U are the greatest, its their capacity that makes then all powerful and have the financial muscle to dominate,,,,

All other clubs who don't win trophies aren't really trying even though there are 2 other financially doped clubs, and the colossus that is Man Yooo.

It the Fans fault, support Man Yoo from Surrey ,,

Last edited:
And there you have it, how far the rot has set in when someone can say that winning trophies is considered a warped focus. If that doesn't highlight the madness of the modern game and supporter I am not sure what will.

The history books remember silverware, no one cares or remembers about finishing second. Woolwich did that the season before, so what? Their FA Cup win will be their reference point for future success, that will the measure for them.

And you can mock the UEFA cup all you want but that is a trophy that we have consistently failed in despite often being the wealthiest club in the tournament.

Yeah, fuck me for thinking that being a football fan should primarily be about loving the sport and what we get to see on the pitch. A warped focus indeed.

Surely, being a football fan should be all about watching men lift shiny objects once to four times per season.

I think my stance makes a hell of a lot more sense than yours.

The last couple of seasons I've loved watching Spurs for damn near every match they play; For their effort, for the style of football, for the impressive performances.

You would rather watch a Mourinho team, playing defensive, stale, boring, goal-starved games, because they win a glorified friendly, a reserve cup and a tournament we don't want to participate in if we can do better (which, unlike your favourite team, Man United, we can).

I am surely the warped one.

Their fanbase is reacting against a club that is solely focused on increasing its revenue streams, that openly stated CL qualification constitutes silverware, that retains hundreds of millions in cash reserves and does not utilise for the squad. A fanbase that was was told that its capital projects would postion them against the elite but did not. If we are not careful we could easily follow the same path as them.

You introduced their reaction as a reaction to not winning silverware, and are now talking about how it's understandable that they are unhappy despite winning the FA cup three of the last four years. Make up your damn mind.

Their reaction stems from the fact that they seem to show no ambition except for in the money making business, coupled with them having the finances and standing that should see them fight for the title every season, while they regress year by year. It most definately is not a reaction to them not focusing their effort on the league cup or europa league, but a reaction to them getting further and further from a league title year by year, by their "talented" group of players moving into their prime and getting worse every year, and by lack of ambition in the transfer market despite having hundreds of millions of pounds in cash reserves and a new stadium. A reaction to moving from "the invincibles" to a team barely able to sustain top 4, and finally missing out.

For someone who seems so sure of himself, you are impressively clueless. I'm starting to think you may be a member of the press.

You introduced their reaction as a reaction to not winning silverware, and are now talking about how it's understandable that they are unhappy despite winning the FA cup three of the last four years. Make up your damn mind.

Their reaction stems from the fact that they seem to show no ambition except for in the money making business, coupled with them having the finances and standing that should see them fight for the title every season, while they regress year by year. It most definately is not a reaction to them not focusing their effort on the league cup or europa league, but a reaction to them getting further and further from a league title year by year, by their "talented" group of players moving into their prime and getting worse every year, and by lack of ambition in the transfer market despite having hundreds of millions of pounds in cash reserves and a new stadium. A reaction to moving from "the invincibles" to a team barely able to sustain top 4, and finally missing out.

For someone who seems so sure of himself, you are impressively clueless. I'm starting to think you may be a member of the press.

You sound as one dimensional as him. The reason people deem our current team a success is because statistically they are and we're playing great football with home grown players. The logical conclusion of that journey is silverware and if it isn't that would be disappointing.

Everyone's happy enough now but I guarantee if we now went on to achieve fourth for 10 years and no trophies that wouldn't last long.

If you were a player under Bill Nicholson and tried to claim this team was a success without winning anything he'd eat you alive.

You sound as one dimensional as him. The reason people deem our current team a success is because statistically they are and we're playing great football with home grown players. The logical conclusion of that journey is silverware and if it isn't that would be disappointing.

Everyone's happy enough now but I guarantee if we now went on to achieve fourth for 10 years and no trophies that wouldn't last long.

If you were a player under Bill Nicholson and tried to claim this team was a success without winning anything he'd eat you alive.

You're wrong. Everyone isn't "happy enough now". They should be, but some, as evident on this site, clearly are not.

Of course, I am not denying that getting fourth ten years on the trot with resources available to do better and with apparent weaknesses in the first team could rightfully make fans unhappy. However, in our situation, having a bunch of English players who joined us early in their careers, with some being true Tottenham boys, where we improve year by year and where we've been the best team in the league over the last two season, being unhappy because we haven't won the league cup is fucking petty.

People need to realise that what we've been doing the last few years is extreme, it is top quality club building, laying the foundations for years of success, and means more than a pesky medal from a small time cup or pre-season friendly.

You have missed the one thing we haven't had.
Stability.

We haven't won anything because we have had nearly 20 managers in as many years and probably 600 players in the last decade.

As soon as we are getting somewhere like under Redknapp, everyone wants to start taking giant "next level" steps too soon.

The same with Jol....."thanks but he's taken us as far as he can" and all that. The shiney new toy brigade always get their way, then start crying about lack of silverware and ambition when it goes tits up.

Now it's happening again, excuse the pun, where people want to start splashing cash on names and not sticking with something good. Fucking hell we just nearly won the title, but instead of looking up at the rate of progression, some just look at last year as a wasted opportunity.
Fucking scandalous outlook.

I suppose we bottled it too in your eyes. The cliches are strong in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom