Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
we probably still owe money on Lamela, so hopefully that has been reduced as part of the deal. Otherwise this sort of fee, even £5M makes no sense at all. Fazio is a decent player just unsuited to our system. Can't see why Levy, of all people, would sell for that without it being part of a bigger deal.

Maybe there's going to be a special relationship?

None of the Everton signings would Start for us. The only player signed in this window for any team that would start for us is Bernardo Silva.
tumblr_nw23rvS5931qfrhf6o1_400.gif

Notabadsquad you think Everton have a great squad, that compares to other top sides? Yet ours needs improving?

You really are an odd one :dembelelol:

Who said they had a great squad but Koeman is seeking to build a squad that reflects his persona and if he can add Rooney, will have someone who can be his mouthpiece on the pitch and who will understand what is being asked.

So in my opinion last season they had a squad that finished about par for them comparatively and is now better even if they have lost Lukaku.

Let us be clear about our squad. A fair number of the players would not have been considered as good as they have become without Pochettino's ad valorem. We cannot yet know what Koeman will do with his purchases but I would expect them to be better. Remember the likes of Walker, Rose, Alli and Dier were not exactly top of wanted lists.

We on the other hand better be doing serious behind the scenes work or face the consequences of our inertia.

I hoped we would make a statement of intention very quickly, pre-empting outgoings and showing no sitting on our laurels.

Disappointment is only tempered by knowing I was being stupidly optimistic.

As someone who's tiny myself, I find this height thing baffling.

The best player in the world right now was born with dwarfism and is only around 5'5. Maradona was 5'4. Pirlo was 5'8. Aguero is 5'6. Xavi was 5'5. Modric was 5'7. Ribbery is 5'6. Lahm is 5'6. Fuck, even Sanchez is only 5'5. There are hundreds more.

A small player with a burst of pace and balance has shown time and time again to be able to cope in football.

Please fuck off with this "But he's small" shit, this isn't basketball and this isn't the 90's, where English coaches instantly dismissed anyone below average height.
One of my mates was a real footballing talent. Was on schoolboys books at a few clubs. Thing is he was and still is only 5 foot 2. He was always rejected becuase of his size. He played with Paul Walsh, who was taller.
I saw some kids with not even half his talent turn pro. Lumps who liked running and could head the ball.

Be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit envious of the money Everton are spending. 30m for Sigurdsen is the latest apparently!

Obviously we are building the stadium and they are spending the lukaku money (or at least it's covering some of the spending).

We don't need to add much but it'd be nice to see us show a little bit of intent and get one quality player in soon.

It'd be fascinating to know exactly what does go on behind the scenes at the club with regards to transfers. I can see the usual scenario of the season starting and us bemoaning once again that the bloody window doesn't close BEFORE it all kicks off.
Everton going to sell then. Siggy would make about 9 midfielders off top of my head

Maybe they will all be content not getting the game time, exposure.
Shit Rooney makes 10, unless he's the CF

I think many here are under-rating Salah because he "failed in England". But there's failing in England, and failing at Mourinho's Chelsea. KdB, Lukaku, Mata, Cudrado and David Luiz also failed there. Not sure we can purely blame the players.
I think many here are under-rating Salah because he "failed in England". But there's failing in England, and failing at Mourinho's Chelsea. KdB, Lukaku, Mata, Cudrado and David Luiz also failed there. Not sure we can purely blame the players.
im not sure Lukaku failed there, or Mata.
Mata was their best player. Jose came and ousted him.
Lukaku was bought by AVB too, and Jose loaned him out twice and although on those loan spells he banged them in, more goals than any Chelsea players, he sold him to Everton.
He now relies on Mata and has paid astronomically for Lukaku who last season scored 5 goals more than he did on loan to WBA in his first loan spell
He doesn't like others managers decent signings. I think those two suffered not becuase of football but becuase of spite.
In fact De Bruyne was signed under AVB too wasn't he?

Who said they had a great squad but Koeman is seeking to build a squad that reflects his persona and if he can add Rooney, will have someone who can be his mouthpiece on the pitch and who will understand what is being asked.

So in my opinion last season they had a squad that finished about par for them comparatively and is now better even if they have lost Lukaku.

Let us be clear about our squad. A fair number of the players would not have been considered as good as they have become without Pochettino's ad valorem. We cannot yet know what Koeman will do with his purchases but I would expect them to be better. Remember the likes of Walker, Rose, Alli and Dier were not exactly top of wanted lists.

We on the other hand better be doing serious behind the scenes work or face the consequences of our inertia.

I hoped we would make a statement of intention very quickly, pre-empting outgoings and showing no sitting on our laurels.

Disappointment is only tempered by knowing I was being stupidly optimistic.

This is Koeman who really was nothing special at Southampton yeah?

Forgive me if I don't pay any attention to your opinions, which have been wrong again and again.

I still think we are in for a much more difficult season.
Not because of the pitch size, but becuase it's not our home and it won't feel like it either.
This coming season will be the litmus test of just how good we really are as forma long while at least, it will feel like playing away every week

You can sneer at Everton all you like, but their target is to break into the Top 6, Top 4 at a push. It may be a stretch but they've decided upon a strategy, think they have the right man in Koeman. If I were an Everton fan I'd be quite excited about the project right now.

We have loftier aims of course, to win the league, or one of the domestic cups at the least, to raise our profile in Europe by performing better in the European Cup. Not simply to tread water. We need to improve our squad by two or three quality pretty much "good to go" players if we're serious about competing on 3 or 4 fronts.

At the moment there's not much sign of that. A low par would be keeping our first XI together. Selling Walker for example and either not replacing him or else buying what is realistically a downgrade would be well below par, however you try to spin it.

Stoke have as good a group as Everton, so do Southampton ... if they can keep them.

Not now with the signings being made they don't. Everton have made some sensible signings and I think they will improve. The problem Everton have is a similar one to that which Spurs faced a few years back which is that they need to improve better than multiple clubs ahead of them. When Spurs first tried to break the top four it required only one team to collapse for a few seasons, and that quickly became two clubs when Citeh got rich overnight. That was hard enough, and frankly only highlights what an amazing job we've done. But Everton have the same problem, plus now us. There are six teams better than them. At best they will finish ahead of one of them in sixth place. The idea that three of the clubs ahead of them will go through poor patches is unlikely so top four for Everton looks pretty implausible. Everton's best bet is to win the Europa League and qualify that way and make all the right moves with signings for a few seasons in a row. Not easy, but I respect they are trying - that's what we did and no one thought we could do it either.

It's quite funny really. People on here worry that if we sign anyone of quality our top players might WANT to leave !!

Whats funny? Eriksen playing 35+ games and staying, or Eriksen being rotated and playing 17 games, and so joining a club bigger than us, and playing every week...

At the end of the day, competition for places is what we need, but that needs to be quality squad players who grab their chances when they get it.

Big difference to spending 60M to "upgrade" on Eriksen, and expecting him to stay, when he could go and play for Barcelona.

Whats funny? Eriksen playing 35+ games and staying, or Eriksen being rotated and playing 17 games, and so joining a club bigger than us, and playing every week...

At the end of the day, competition for places is what we need, but that needs to be quality squad players who grab their chances when they get it.

Big difference to spending 60M to "upgrade" on Eriksen, and expecting him to stay, when he could go and play for Barcelona.
We are going to play a minimum of about 50 games, and that is assuming no decent runs in either domestic cup. If Eriksen plays 35 games that means you could still spell him in 15-20.

Am I the only one that wouldn't even be slightly pissed off if we signed nobody? We have a fantastic squad that will only get better as long as it's together.

Personally, I'd only replace players that are sold (Sissoko, Wimmer). I'm not sure we need to make any big signings to challenge for the league again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom