Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The players don't give a shit about Tottenham. They want to get a good wage and win stuff.

Applies to 99.99% of all players.

The only thing surprising is that people find this surprising. Danny Rose and Kyle Walker knew each other from when they were kids until now. They've been rivals for at least 12+ years. Do you not think they would talk about things such as being home sick (An apparent reason for Walker moving and now something Rose is stating)?

They would both have had similar worries and Walker leaving may be the final nail in Rose's Tottenham career.
It's not a surprise that he thinks that but it's unbelievable that he's gone and given this interview to to a newspaper.

It causes a monumental public shit storm for the club just a couple of days before the season starts.

He's "happy at Spurs and loves his team mates and fans". Yeah bollocks does he. People praising him for being "honest" when he's being anything but.

Stop panicking. Rose may stay or may go. Pochettino is the one we need to keep hold of.

I would invite you to look at his Southampton team and all the highly coveted players there. Where are they now? Not one is a better player doing better than under Pochettino. His tactics are not about individuals they are about a fluid but structured shape hard work and pressing like animals.

The tactics always make the players shine IF they're willing to put the hard work in.

Schneiderlin, Lovren, Clyne, Shaw, Rodriguez, Davis...nowhere near the level they were under Poch. Nowhere near.

We may well sell players but it will be down to Poch. If he wants rid of Rose I think we would bring someone else in who will be just as God after a season or two providing they have the right attributes and mentality.

We have a world class team but pay 7th-8th place wages and transfer fees. The fact that we find it hard to do transfers right now is no surprise as the type of player that Poch needs in certain positions narrows our search down then there is the fact that to improve our squad we are looking at players where we are competing with clubs with bigger budgets, more prestige and who are basically sometimes willing to engage in corrupt practices like paying unofficial agents (not mentioning any names) to get deals done which we are either not willing or able to do.

So we are looking for opportunism such as a player like Barkley who has stagnated but has a lot of potential and due to his contract situation is within our budget. Or young players like Alli we nab before others are willing to take a punt on.

The fact that we are challenging for the title despite our budget shows how successful we have been yet I see fans describe us as a shambles when nothing could be further from the truth. We are victims of our own success in that fans expect now that we will compete with the top clubs purely because we have finished alongside them or above them in the table. The reality is we have no right to be there. We are not an elite club and are not even half way to being one although we are moving in the right direction.

The stadium will make a big difference. Not straight away but like Woolwich in a few years the revenue will mean our budget increases significantly.

What I think every Spurs fan needs to do is look at us from the outside. Look at how we thought about Leicester fans when they won the title and started acting like they were an entitled elite club questioning why any of their players would want to leave and talking about who they should sign and how they needed to kick on and do well in the CL. The reality was they had a fluke season and their objective for the next season was still to avoid the drop as their club budget never changed from that so anything above was a bonus.

We looked at their fans and thought they were deluded and when some turned on Ranieri and their board the next season we couldn't understand it. They should have been pinching themselves everyday we thought and still should be happy with 15th but their expectations had been unrealistically raised by just one season of success so it appeared so disappointing to them the next season when their performances tailed off. They thought it must be because the club was being badly run when it wasn't it was that they were always going to drop back to a more realistic level of performance.

We will too. We will have a season where we drop back from 2nd or even top 4 as we should not even be competing there.

But we have chosen our coach very well and have bought very well and developed a world class academy that has produced a world class striker and some promising players coming behind him.

We are competing well beyond our realistic level due to our club being so we'll run.

I've seen some say we haven't been showing enough ambition but at the same time saying we shouldn't be going after Josh King....well what do you want?

We either go after players comfortably attainable for clubs with our budget like King or Andre Gray and get them in early or we try for the likes of a Keira Balde hoping that a long courting and convincing process will make him give us a go over other clubs like Juventus but with the knowledge that it's always a long shot they are always aware they might be able to get something better so it's always a long drawn out process with stalling tactics and prolonged negotiations as to compete with their budgets we have to structure deals differently and offer performance related bonuses to top up lower fees and wages. These ambitious transfers are unlikely to be successful but if you want us to try we get a window like this one.

No doubt if we lose out on our ambitious targets you'll see deals quickly rapped up for back up options we could have had months ago like King, like maybe Mawson or whatnot similarly to when we lost out on Mussachio and quickly signed Fazio late on as well as when we lost out on Schneiderlin so went quickly for Stambouli.

It's just the reality of our situation and instead of declaring the club a shambles when it's not, instead of giving yourselves a heart attack with all the stress, why don't you try sitting back and enjoy what we have. Marvel at our team and our tactics and the football we currently play. Accept that as we develop players some will want more money and will go for large fees that we may either replace with a youth player and still give the big clubs a run for their money or we will take our time over who to buy.

I'm surprised that after a few Paulinho's, Soldado's and Sissoko's and people are still posting stuff on these forums like "just buy anyone, anyone is better than nobody, we need numbers in now I don't care this is a shambles...aaaaaargh I hate my club even though it's the best period in the club's history since the 60s which was 4 decades before I was born I still think we are terrible aaaargh *shoots self*"

Stop panicking. Rose may stay or may go. Pochettino is the one we need to keep hold of.

I would invite you to look at his Southampton team and all the highly coveted players there. Where are they now? Not one is a better player doing better than under Pochettino. His tactics are not about individuals they are about a fluid but structured shape hard work and pressing like animals.

The tactics always make the players shine IF they're willing to put the hard work in.

Schneiderlin, Lovren, Clyne, Shaw, Rodriguez, Davis...nowhere near the level they were under Poch. Nowhere near.

We may well sell players but it will be down to Poch. If he wants rid of Rose I think we would bring someone else in who will be just as God after a season or two providing they have the right attributes and mentality.

We have a world class team but pay 7th-8th place wages and transfer fees. The fact that we find it hard to do transfers right now is no surprise as the type of player that Poch needs in certain positions narrows our search down then there is the fact that to improve our squad we are looking at players where we are competing with clubs with bigger budgets, more prestige and who are basically sometimes willing to engage in corrupt practices like paying unofficial agents (not mentioning any names) to get deals done which we are either not willing or able to do.

So we are looking for opportunism such as a player like Barkley who has stagnated but has a lot of potential and due to his contract situation is within our budget. Or young players like Alli we nab before others are willing to take a punt on.

The fact that we are challenging for the title despite our budget shows how successful we have been yet I see fans describe us as a shambles when nothing could be further from the truth. We are victims of our own success in that fans expect now that we will compete with the top clubs purely because we have finished alongside them or above them in the table. The reality is we have no right to be there. We are not an elite club and are not even half way to being one although we are moving in the right direction.

The stadium will make a big difference. Not straight away but like Woolwich in a few years the revenue will mean our budget increases significantly.

What I think every Spurs fan needs to do is look at us from the outside. Look at how we thought about Leicester fans when they won the title and started acting like they were an entitled elite club questioning why any of their players would want to leave and talking about who they should sign and how they needed to kick on and do well in the CL. The reality was they had a fluke season and their objective for the next season was still to avoid the drop as their club budget never changed from that so anything above was a bonus.

We looked at their fans and thought they were deluded and when some turned on Ranieri and their board the next season we couldn't understand it. They should have been pinching themselves everyday we thought and still should be happy with 15th but their expectations had been unrealistically raised by just one season of success so it appeared so disappointing to them the next season when their performances tailed off. They thought it must be because the club was being badly run when it wasn't it was that they were always going to drop back to a more realistic level of performance.

We will too. We will have a season where we drop back from 2nd or even top 4 as we should not even be competing there.

But we have chosen our coach very well and have bought very well and developed a world class academy that has produced a world class striker and some promising players coming behind him.

We are competing well beyond our realistic level due to our club being so we'll run.

I've seen some say we haven't been showing enough ambition but at the same time saying we shouldn't be going after Josh King....well what do you want?

We either go after players comfortably attainable for clubs with our budget like King or Andre Gray and get them in early or we try for the likes of a Keira Balde hoping that a long courting and convincing process will make him give us a go over other clubs like Juventus but with the knowledge that it's always a long shot they are always aware they might be able to get something better so it's always a long drawn out process with stalling tactics and prolonged negotiations as to compete with their budgets we have to structure deals differently and offer performance related bonuses to top up lower fees and wages. These ambitious transfers are unlikely to be successful but if you want us to try we get a window like this one.

No doubt if we lose out on our ambitious targets you'll see deals quickly rapped up for back up options we could have had months ago like King, like maybe Mawson or whatnot similarly to when we lost out on Mussachio and quickly signed Fazio late on as well as when we lost out on Schneiderlin so went quickly for Stambouli.

It's just the reality of our situation and instead of declaring the club a shambles when it's not, instead of giving yourselves a heart attack with all the stress, why don't you try sitting back and enjoy what we have. Marvel at our team and our tactics and the football we currently play. Accept that as we develop players some will want more money and will go for large fees that we may either replace with a youth player and still give the big clubs a run for their money or we will take our time over who to buy.

I'm surprised that after a few Paulinho's, Soldado's and Sissoko's and people are still posting stuff on these forums like "just buy anyone, anyone is better than nobody, we need numbers in now I don't care this is a shambles...aaaaaargh I hate my club even though it's the best period in the club's history since the 60s which was 4 decades before I was born I still think we are terrible aaaargh *shoots self*"
Great post

Think that's his point.

He doesnt want us to sign random 18 year old from Leeds. He wants us signing game changers.
Well, if we had signed a "name" he would never have got his chance, he would be like the Chelsea prospects. Spin your wheels for 3 years then off to Palace or Watford you go.

Will be very interested to see if the club comment on this interview - feels very much like it was done behind the clubs back.

No way would our press officer allow this sort of interview be released 3 days before the start of season, surely?

With Poch around I am not too worried about individual players leaving as he makes players better. Rose was average at best before Poch.

My issue is our transfer strategy of either buy late or buy no-one, we sold Walker who is a top right back and in the best case situation will get someone in late who will take time to settle most likely limiting us at the start of the season.

Happy to let Walker and Rose fuck off but we need clear immediate replacements if we do that otherwise we could cripple ourselves in a particular position. Saints are a smaller club than us but nearly always buy a replacement when they sell or have a youth player the manager believes is ready to replace them. Our model will not work unless we adopt this.

It does the manager and players no good to have a clear weakness going into the season. Thinking about it would have taken £60 mil plus Shaw and Mensah from United for Walker and Rose.

As to Rose I think it's very unprofessional of him. If you want to leave there are ways and means of doing it. Just look at Gareth Bale got on with it, didn't leak to the press, allowed us to get our dealings done before leaving was an ultimate pro.

I couldn't care less if Rose leaves now I want professionals at my club. That doesn't mean I don't agree that some will want to leave at 27/28 as it's a short career and they might have a chance at top wages but even compare him to Walker.

Walker will always be welcome back here as he didn't agitate for a move he's clearly left with the club's blessing and got on with it. Rose has undermines the club deliberately just before the season started and embroiled us in a negative press storm. That is unacceptable and says a lot about him as a person and a player.

giphy.gif

With Poch around I am not too worried about individual players leaving as he makes players better. Rose was average at best before Poch.

My issue is our transfer strategy of either buy late or buy no-one, we sold Walker who is a top right back and in the best case situation will get someone in late who will take time to settle most likely limiting us at the start of the season.

Happy to let Walker and Rose fuck off but we need clear immediate replacements if we do that otherwise we could cripple ourselves in a particular position. Saints are a smaller club than us but nearly always buy a replacement when they sell or have a youth player the manager believes is ready to replace them. Our model will not work unless we adopt this.

It does the manager and players no good to have a clear weakness going into the season. Thinking about it would have taken £60 mil plus Shaw and Mensah from United for Walker and Rose.

It's easier for Saints to have replacements lined up as theyre buying players with finishing 10th in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom