Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And there you are bigging up Rose less than five mins ago, a player we bought from Leeds.

Dele from MK Dons. Walker from Sheffield Utd., Tripps from Burnley (and I'm not even a fan of him), Son from Leverkussen, Toby (on loan at Southampton and unwanted by his club), Dier from Sporting.

You don't know anything about the philosophy of this Club, you continue to fight against it. Simply bizarre how you are so against what Poch's philosophy is.
I agree. Signing potential talent that may or may not come good has been instrumental in getting us back where we belong.
But Poch himself said we needed a new approach to get us to the next level of competing for and winning trophies. It's not unreasonable on that basis to question the potential signing of Grealish, surely. FWIW, I think he's a decent player and if he signs I hope he tears it up for us

Yep. I think people are overthinking this. Levy, like the gloriously majestic shit he is, will look to get Villa’s principle asset at around a 70% discount. It represents a good business deal whilst simultaneously helping our homegrown player count.

I think he’s a good player but I think he’s a touch too slow both on and off the ball. He reminds me of Mark Noble - perfectly acceptable but not what we need to really go for it.
rememberhow he got Bale's transfer fee reduced when we bought him cos Southampton needed cash quickly?

I agree. Signing potential talent that may or may not come good has been instrumental in getting us back where we belong.
But Poch himself said we needed a new approach to get us to the next level of competing for and winning trophies. It's not unreasonable on that basis to question the potential signing of Grealish, surely. FWIW, I think he's a decent player and if he signs I hope he tears it up for us
Then judge what we do at the end of the window, not on a player by player basis. Given what has worked for us and more importantly what hasn't worked for us, it is these types of signings we should be more excited about, not the other way around.

Where we are right now with "those players" is a team that has finished 3rd, 2nd & 3rd (beaten to 2 titles by two clubs not competing in Europe at the time, and the other having spent nearly half a billion on defenders alone) held more than their own against Europes elite thrashing (and not losing away) both the teams that made it to the final and have got to 2 FA Cup semi's and a League Cup final. This team is at the level required on it's day. It didn't turn up in the FA Cup semi this year, it didn't play to it's potential or what we have seen what it's capable of.

This team is at the level required, there are tweaks needed to keep it that way, tweaks needed to keep the competition for places, tweaks needed to keep it fresh, tweaks needed to bin those not on message. The rest is down to the group of players that we have to perform in the games that matter, to continue to learn and grow as a team. More important than signing Carlos Thunderball because his club and agent value him at £70m.

Then judge what we do at the end of the window, not on a player by player basis. Given what has worked for us and more importantly what hasn't worked for us, it is these types of signings we should be more excited about, not the other way around.

Where we are right now with "those players" is a team that has finished 3rd, 2nd & 3rd (beaten to 2 titles by two clubs not competing in Europe at the time, and the other having spent nearly half a billion on defenders alone) held more than their own against Europes elite thrashing (and not losing away) both the teams that made it to the final and have got to 2 FA Cup semi's and a League Cup final. This team is at the level required on it's day. It didn't turn up in the FA Cup semi this year, it didn't play to it's potential or what we have seen what it's capable of.

This team is at the level required, there are tweaks needed to keep it that way, tweaks needed to keep the competition for places, tweaks needed to keep it fresh, tweaks needed to bin those not on message. The rest is down to the group of players that we have to perform in the games that matter, to continue to learn and grow as a team. More important than signing Carlos Thunderball because his club and agent value him at £70m.

Carlos Thunderball sounds amazing.

Pool are improving the squad and we are in the hunt for Grealish? really? That's how we are going to improve our squad? Hopefully we have other targets.
Ive heard for the last 6 windows Liverpool are doing this and Liverpool are doing that and look at Liverpool.

FUCK LIVERPOOL

Let them spend another quarter billion to finish below us, I couldn’t care less.

There’s a good chance we’ll buy more than one player this window, JT.

Calm ya tits, mate, you’ll do yourself a mischief. :adethumbup:

Utterly bizarre reaction by many about Grealish, I'd also wager those moaning have barely watched him play too. Our success in the transfer market has been making signings just like this, young player with bags of potential, yet still there exists a form of football snobbery that signings like these are beneath us for some reason. This kid's got a lot of ability.

There is a reason why you've heard of this player and that's because he's good. The only doubt about him would be his mentality, driven by tabloid media for getting caught being pissed whilst on holiday in the off season (no different to Kyle Waker and other players) which given the esteem he is held in at his club it's not hard to see why that may go to a young lads head. He is their Harry Kane, their pin-up player and he achieved this status before Kane did with us (when he was 17yrs-18yrs old).

I'm looking forward to this signing more than an N'kodu, N'jie & Sissoko player any day of the week.

I'm not big on YouTube compilation clips across multiple games but taking clips from a single game gives a much better reflection of the ability of a player. He was MOM against Liverpool in their FA Cup semi-final win at the age of 19yrs old!! So that's against top 6 PL opposition, on a big stage at Wembley in Cup semi-final which they won, largely down to him. NINETEEN!!!

Just a little something to ponder...

Aston Villa 17/18

Josh Onomah - 2.140' 4 goals, 3 assists
Jack Grealish - 2.138' 3 goals, 6 assists

Doesn't it seem a waste of money going after this lad when our own player did pretty much the same as Villa's golden boy last season.

Aston Villa 17/18

Doesn't it seem a waste of money going after this lad when our own player did pretty much the same as Villa's golden boy last season.
i don't fancy grealish, but unless we talk about strikers i don't judge by status a lot, dembele one of our best players always have really shite status and that doesn't mean is shite.

And Villa fans rate grealish to the moon and say onomah is average

in reddit they don't rate him

r/coys - Villa fan here - Onomah

Obligatory I come in peace.

Just thought I'd give you guys an update on Onomah - I confess it's a bit of a rant too.

At the beginning of the season he looked good, a real talent with a need for refinement and to discover his true position.

I confess to being an England fan just as much as I'm a Villan. So I was excited he joined us on loan and for him to get some playing time in a tough league.

The reality as it stands is he's been god awful to watch for the last couple of months.

He is lazy, doesn't chase balls down, doesn't seem to have any situational awareness and doesn't seem to care about pulling the shirt on.

Today summed it up, when he came off we bagged 3 goals and won the match.

I hope you as the reader feel that this isn't a knee jerk reaction, he's been simply awful for the last few games he's played, to the point I don't understand why he's being picked.

Granted we have Grealish and Adomah out injured, as is why he got to feature today I would imagine.

My over-riding feeling is one of disappointment. He started well for us at the beginning of the season, but he's been steadily declining in terms of quality and commitment in a Villa shirt.

He almost always starts as an AM, and he does seem to link up well with Keinan Davis when he gets a game, but can't seem to link up with any other players.

I hoped Terry would have influenced him to be hungry and committed like he has done with all of our other youth players - Onomah really has no fire about him.

I hope things change, and Steve Bruce must see something in him in training, but the general consensus with the Villa fans is we'd rather send him back.

Perhaps he hasn't bonded with our coaching staff, maybe he just hasn't settled well in Brum, but he's wasting an opportunity here to show Poch what he's capable of which is a genuine shame.

Anyway I hope you guys have a strong end to the season. Genuinely buzzing for the world cup and to see what Kane, Alli and co can do.

Cheers.

3 months ago

in reddit they don't rate him

r/coys - Villa fan here - Onomah

Obligatory I come in peace.

Just thought I'd give you guys an update on Onomah - I confess it's a bit of a rant too.

At the beginning of the season he looked good, a real talent with a need for refinement and to discover his true position.

I confess to being an England fan just as much as I'm a Villan. So I was excited he joined us on loan and for him to get some playing time in a tough league.

The reality as it stands is he's been god awful to watch for the last couple of months.

He is lazy, doesn't chase balls down, doesn't seem to have any situational awareness and doesn't seem to care about pulling the shirt on.

Today summed it up, when he came off we bagged 3 goals and won the match.

I hope you as the reader feel that this isn't a knee jerk reaction, he's been simply awful for the last few games he's played, to the point I don't understand why he's being picked.

Granted we have Grealish and Adomah out injured, as is why he got to feature today I would imagine.

My over-riding feeling is one of disappointment. He started well for us at the beginning of the season, but he's been steadily declining in terms of quality and commitment in a Villa shirt.

He almost always starts as an AM, and he does seem to link up well with Keinan Davis when he gets a game, but can't seem to link up with any other players.

I hoped Terry would have influenced him to be hungry and committed like he has done with all of our other youth players - Onomah really has no fire about him.

I hope things change, and Steve Bruce must see something in him in training, but the general consensus with the Villa fans is we'd rather send him back.

Perhaps he hasn't bonded with our coaching staff, maybe he just hasn't settled well in Brum, but he's wasting an opportunity here to show Poch what he's capable of which is a genuine shame.

Anyway I hope you guys have a strong end to the season. Genuinely buzzing for the world cup and to see what Kane, Alli and co can do.

Cheers.

3 months ago

Mate, you can read stuff like that about any player on any forum. It's opinion and based on what person A and person B sees. It rarely equates to 'knowledge' unless it's coming from someone who knows football, and even then it's up for debate when pundits like Paul fooking Merson bat out the usual drivel (God that muppet winds me up, even if he wasn't a dirty gooner I'd still think he is a twat).

Mate, you can read stuff like that about any player on any forum. It's opinion and based on what person A and person B sees. It rarely equates to 'knowledge' unless it's coming from someone who knows football, and even then it's up for debate when pundits like Paul fooking Merson bat out the usual drivel (God that muppet winds me up, even if he wasn't a dirty gooner I'd still think he is a twat).
no doubt, it's all a matter of prespective

Aston Villa 17/18

In statistical terms, since you bring it up, Onomah is nowhere near Grealish.

Player | Team | Football | Stats Comparison Tool | Squawka.com

Though if you look to the bottom 25% of Grealish’s cards are for diving and 50% of his cards are for verbal abuse. In other words, lad is a massive cunt and still the perfect wheelchair 2.0 for woolwich.

rememberhow he got Bale's transfer fee reduced when we bought him cos Southampton needed cash quickly?
I think it was the sell-on percentage that Levy managed to buy out for cheap when they had financial difficulties.

Southampton agreed to it because they thought Walcott was going to be the bigger star out of the two.

giphy.gif

Think he would be a bit like Alli......if he's not on your team you hate him, if he is you like him.
What if he’s on your team & you hate him?
On a serious note, if Poch wants him, then it’s cool.
I just don’t rate him. Would take a lot of convincing. When Alli signed, couldn’t wait to see him. Grealish just seems very Wilshere.

Back
Top Bottom