Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Or the holding midfielder Alf from Corinthians
giphy.gif

West Ham come in with an offer so far over the odds they couldn't turn it down...
If they wanted him they would have kept him, unless Yarmolenko wished not to play in CL again this Year becuase West Ham are paying him some serious ££.
They paid the 5th highest fee ever for Yarmolenko, they only paid€2.5m more for Mkhytaryan(3rd) and €5m more the the most expensive Schurlle.
He cost more than they paid to resign Gotze.

The fee is undisclosed but would West Ham not brag about breaking their recent highest for Diop £22m.
Dortmund must have only made a few million. They paid £22m for him.

Seems strange you’d pay that much for a player, give him a 4 yr contract and lodge him after one season he didn’t complete.
They either suddenly didn’t want him for whatever reason or he agitated for the move.
I can’t see it being for a massive profit.
They could have got more if he’d had a killer 18/19 season with 2 yr left on his contract.

Hardly, considering we bought him and immediately loaned him back to MK.

Anyway my point is we can't keep expecting this to be the case, that we will be endlessly lucky with lower-league bargains. If we're going to hold up Dele on the one side we should also point to the likes of Shilow Tracey, who was brought in to aertain amount of fanfare, on the other side of the equation

Honest question, now, but what goes through someones head when they have an opinion such as this?

Do you look at our at last five years signings, and think:
Dele, Eriksen, Dier, Kane, Jan, Toby, Wanyama, Trippier, Davies, KWP, Hugo, Dembele, cost a COMBINED:
80M

Where as:
Sissoko, Paulinho, Soldado Lamela (love him but still) cost 105M

Conclusion:
No more cheap punts, big fees are the way to go.

Seriously, what the fuck are you drawing your conclusions from. Even Son didnt immediately improve us, at 22M.....it took a season of being poor.
From every single player signed for big money, only Sanchez has done what it said on the tin, straight away.

Can people just get the fuck on board and stop being so Chelsea about everything

Last edited:

Archibald&Crooks
Aegina Expat

Admin

40 minutes ago
Thread starter #137
If people think they can get away with spamming the fuck out of this thread with England/Formation chat just by throwing "ITK" into their post they'll soon get the shock of their lives when they find the banstick shoved so far up their rectums that they end up choking on the handle.

God is this guy the biggest cunt on the planet!? Rules that Spurs community like some sort of Stalin figure and actually enjoys it. Even worse is the ass licking coming his way from the little lemmings on spurs community. It's the most embarrassing site and I'm ashamed to call them all spurs fans.

Archibald&Crooks
Aegina Expat

Admin

40 minutes ago
Thread starter #137
If people think they can get away with spamming the fuck out of this thread with England/Formation chat just by throwing "ITK" into their post they'll soon get the shock of their lives when they find the banstick shoved so far up their rectums that they end up choking on the handle.

God is this guy the biggest cunt on the planet!? Rules that Spurs community like some sort of Stalin figure and actually enjoys it. Even worse is the ass licking coming his way from the little lemmings on spurs community. It's the most embarrassing site and I'm ashamed to call them all spurs fans.
Agreed it's fucking tragic - people sucking his e-dick and donating money, in the hope of being drip-fed some bullshit 'ITK', which is probably all made up by the same pricks that run the site.

Honest question, now, but what goes through someones head when they have an opinion such as this?

Dele, Eriksen, Dier, Kane, Jan, Toby, Wanyama, Trippier, Davies, KWP, Rose, Hugo, Dembele, cost a COMBINED:
80M

Where as:

Conclusion:

Seriously, what the fuck are you drawing your conclusions from. Even Son didnt immediately improve us, at 22M.....it took a season of being poor.
From every single player signed for big money, only Sanchez has done what it said on the tin, straight away.

Can people just get the fuck on board and stop being so Chelsea about everything

I'm not saying your point is wrong but the way you are going about proving it is sketchy at best.

Just curious as to why Lamela is lumped into the category with the "failures?" Is it because you need the 30 million fee to make it look like Spurs wasted more money? Kane and KWP came through the academy so you can't call them "signings" and add them to your list of how impressive our business has been.

Hmmm
Skip really interests me.

Every time I’ve seen him play I’m impressed.
In fact the first time I was very surprised. He doesn’t get a lot of praise like Edwards, Sterling, Bennett’s etc, I was amazed how good he was.
Maybe it was just one game.
Then when we had that period of Televised games he seemed to be consistent.
Not a poncy like player. Quite strong, agile. Nothing flashy, passes accurately ( has a great eye for one and has a good range) and moves, intercepts, tackles, has decent positioning. Reads the game well.
Looks very mature. Makes it look so effortless.

I share the prevailing enthusiasm for our yoof, but i think it represents pseudo-opportunity to stick them out in a wholesale rotation with 10 other 2nd/3rd stringers and expect them to show a level worthy of the first XI.... The 'machine' around them will be nowhere near as well honed as if actually lining up alongside Kane, Hugo, Jan, Eriksen.

See: Spurs vs BVB, Spurs in this year's FA Cup, England B vs Belgium B etc.

Results come when like Kane, Winks, Dele were allowed to play alongside and mix their game up with our A-list.

Europa league was a gift in terms of blooding players and Poch's revolution; becomes far tougher having made the CL leap.

It's a comment others have made but we really do need to start giving the fringe players minutes if league or cup games are in the bag with 10/15mins to go.

I hope we can find the right balance... This may not be quite so pertinent for the ultra-wealthy clubs (EPL and beyond) who have no motivation to do so, but developing our 'own' and other 'prospects' continues to be pivotal to us continuing to be any kind of sustainable threat to the those whom can outspend us whenever they see fit.

Archibald&Crooks
Aegina Expat

Admin

40 minutes ago
Thread starter #137

Based off that post alone, I imagine it wouldn't be the shock of the their lives to be banned. Seems an inevitability. In this day and age, that kind of behavior is asking for a DDOS attack.

I'm not saying your point is wrong but the way you are going about proving it is sketchy at best.

Just curious as to why Lamela is lumped into the category with the "failures?" Is it because you need the 30 million fee to make it look like Spurs wasted more money? Kane and KWP came through the academy so you can't call them "signings" and add them to your list of how impressive our business has been.

The academy is the epitome of not having to spend big or proven.....it backs my point even further. So you mean take them out the list and suddenly the rest of that group look like bad business for 80M?

What, Kane for free is not good......should have bought Lukaku for 70M perhaps?

Lamela took two years to resemble a footballer. Im adressing the notion that spending big to immediately improve the first team is the way to go when it has worked once in some 15 years.
The last one I can remember was Berbatov, and he only cost 10M (admittedly a lot for us then)

How can people look at our squad and say that cheap players from lower or lesser leagues are the minority of success stories for us?
No one was creaming for Eriksen, he was as much as a punt as Son, yet cost 8M less.

Dont just second question my post, explain your thinking.....do you look at Dembele for 8M from Fulham and say "naaaah, dont want that kind of punt on some crap, we need proven"?

Im asking genuionely, I cant fathom the thinking, of disregarding something thats proven to work for us time and time and time again, and favour an approach that has failed for us time and time and time again.
Explain, please...

Last edited:
Hardly, considering we bought him and immediately loaned him back to MK.

Anyway my point is we can't keep expecting this to be the case, that we will be endlessly lucky with lower-league bargains. If we're going to hold up Dele on the one side we should also point to the likes of Shilow Tracey, who was brought in to aertain amount of fanfare, on the other side of the equation

Dier and Sanchez both slotted straight in as young prosoects from so-called lesser leagues.

Tbh, i think considering the nature of the loanback, Dele still counts too seeings as soon as soon as he did join the group he became a fixture of the first XI.... Not like we bought him then loaned him out to a mid-table EPL team... He was still playing in league 1 and the proverbial leap was still there to be made.

Grealish is a very good young player.
He’s not costing £25m at 28 with injury history on £17m contract.

He was too good for the championship and with better players could thrive.
He’s powerful and can learn. He can beat players, drives forward and has a decent passing range, usually forward.
It will be a very decent signing imo.
If he wants to come here he knows what to expect. That would tell me a lot about his attitude.
If he does I guarantee, with game time he will be in the full England squad by 2021.
I think sometimes we slam players like Grealish who we have seen play in poor Villa teams. I don't know much about him beyond what I remember in the PL when they got relegated and not followed him since.
But if the club think there is a prospect there who will thrive under Poch and his style and will improve playing with better players then we should trust their judgement. They have earned the right to have our trust.

Dele, Eriksen, Dier, Kane, Jan, Toby, Wanyama, Trippier, Davies, KWP, Hugo, Dembele, cost a COMBINED:
80M

Where as:

Conclusion:

You seem to be suggesting that we have more chance of success if we continue to buy cheap prospects in the hope we can turn them into world beaters. Rather than spending big money on proven top shelf players who can make an immediate impact on the starting 11. Even though we are a cash rich club, and even though the expensive flops you refer to are an indictment on the clubs recruiting policy rather than proof that spending money doesn't benefit the team.
Its a bizarre stance to take really. Particularly when you consider we've won absolutely nothing for a decade, and just one League cup in the decade before that. Frugality and bargain hunting can get you so far, maybe, but as Poch himself said, we need a new approach if we wish to reach that next level of actually winning stuff

You seem to be suggesting that we have more chance of success if continue to buy cheap prospects in the hope we can turn them into world beaters. Rather than spending big money on proven top shelf players who cam make an immediate impact on the starting 11. Even though we are a cash rich club, and even though the expensive flops you refer to are an indictment on the clubs recruiting policy rather than proof that spending money doesn't benefit the team.
Its a bizarre stance to take really. Particularly when you consider we've won absolutely nothing for a decade, and just one League cup in the decade before that

Why cant people explain their thinking instead of keep asking me what I think. You know what I think and why.

Can you explain why you think our cheap punts have been a failure and our more expensive signings have proven to you that that is the route we should take?
No, clearly, you cant.

You´re answer is basically:
Expensive good
Cheap bad

Despite the facts

The academy is the epitome of not having to spend big or proven.....it backs my point even further.

Lamela took two years to resemble a footballer. Im adressing the notion that spending big to immediately improve the first team is the way to go when it has worked once in some 15 years.
The last one I can remember was Berbatov, and he only cost 10M (admittedly a lot for us then)

How can people look at our squad and say that cheap players from lower or lesser leagues are the minority of success stories for us?
No one was creaming for Eriksen, he was as much as a punt as Son, yet cost 8M less.

Dont just second question my post, explain your thinking.....do you look at Dembele for 8M from Fulham and say "naaaah, dont want that kind of punt on some crap, we need proven"?

Im asking genuionely, I cant fathom the thinking, of disregarding something thats proven to work for us time and time and time again, and favour an approach that has failed for us time and time and time again.
Explain, please...

Again, I'm not saying that your point is wrong. There is absolutely no need to demand huge signings just for the sake of huge signings.

Just the way you are justifying the point is flawed.

Developing talent through the academy is great, but not comparable to a failed or successful purchase. How many seasons was Rose sent on loan before he finally broke into the squad with Spurs? If Lamela is considered a failure because he took time to find his way into the team why isn't Rose? I understand the difference in age when each was bought but you can't have it both ways.

That being said, spending to directly improve the first team shouldn't be entirely written off either. If Levy is willing to spend the cash on someone Poch has identified as an immediate improvement I'm definitely in favor.

For me the only thing we really need this year is someone to take over Dembele's role because even if he doesn't move this year, he's nearing the end of his time here. If Poch believes that is Grealish... In Poch I trust.

Archibald&Crooks
Aegina Expat

Admin

40 minutes ago
Thread starter #137

He hasn't even got the balls to say "arse".

I have heard of members being banned for even a civil request or voicing an objection to anything he says. He does this and then weeks later pleads poverty and asks for donations to keep the website running.

Many of those stupid cunts donate money totaling thousands to someone they have never met, and don't even know. These same twats would no doubt give their bank details over the internet to My N'goddibadolin who tells them a rich Aunt has left them two million in her will.

How the fuck the owner of that website let's A&C treat his members in this way is beyond me. I honestly think it's partly a website and partly a scam for making money.

Back
Top Bottom