Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have a history of buying cheap players and turning them into class. Why do we want to get away from a winning formula?
Partly because even 'cheap' players back in 2013 would be going for at least £30m in today's market.

Eriksen was the jewel in the crown at Ajax with a year left on his contract (so timing-wise we were fortunate) but going for an equivalent like Sanchez last year ended up being our record transfer fee.

Haven't most of our high-priced transfers usually turned out to be flops?

Sissoko
Soldado
Some argue Lamela is
Even Son took a year and a half to settle

Sanchez and Lamela are imo the only high priced players that have been worth their fee so far.

We have a history of buying cheap players and turning them into class. Why do we want to get away from a winning formula?

I agree totally. However the issue now is the market is so fucked that average players are going for 3 times their real worth. Herein lies the problem - do we go into that market (Hi Sissoko!) or put trust in the yoof boys, as there isnt an "in the middle" option anymore that we've used so often that I can see. Is Kovacic (a decent holding midfielder) *really* worth £45M+, for example? Liverpool and a few other teams out there have totally buggered valuations up. Its a buyers market, and we dont want to play the game.... yet.

Maybe this is what Pochettino talked about when he said to take risks and be brave.

what CL competing club, with title winning aspirations, that finished 3rd, 2nd and 3rd over 3 seasons gets rid of its best CB, LB and arguably Midfielder.
2 of them for no other reason than injury really.
Then ‘maybe’ replaces them with untested PL level youngsters like KWP, Grealish, Foyth an don’t CCV

Maybe Pochettinos team are telling him Toby and Rose are never recovering pre injury levels, we all can see with Mousa.
Sell now before it becomes apparent.

Then again it’s all just speculation.

And.....” it’s all because the Levy loves last Day”

Apparently wants a move to Chelsea. Part of me thinks it’s bullshit as I think he’d have been burnt by his United move, and seeing what is happening at young talent at Chelsea I’d hope he’s smarter than that.

How I’d love to rescue Loftus-Cheek from them.

Haven't most of our high-priced transfers usually turned out to be flops?

Sissoko
Soldado
Some argue Lamela is
Even Son took a year and a half to settle

That's not an excuse to stop buying big, that's just an excuse to fire the scouting department.

And anyway Soldado was a decent player who had to perform in a team stuffed full of unfamiliar players who didn't know each other from Adam, and the only creative outlet was Andros fucking Townsend :townhmm::avbshit:

Apparently wants a move to Chelsea. Part of me thinks it’s bullshit as I think he’d have been burnt by his United move, and seeing what is happening at young talent at Chelsea I’d hope he’s smarter than that.

Zaha is not young talent mate. He’ll be 26 already before the end of the year. He’s entering his prime. He would start there I reckon. Only competition is Willian.

Sarri looks to be giving youth a go. Though could just be because of pre season.

Davies replaced Rose. 18+ months ago.
Sanchez essentially replaced Toby last year.

...Effectively bench players. Not necessarily a pre-requisite that they're "elite"/world-class.

God-mode Dembele... Gonna be tough to replace tho'. :pochsulk:

I love Davies, and he approached those levels at times last year, but he's not 2016-17 Rose.

Sanchez was a club record new signing.

You could see Winks being Davies to Dembele's Rose if you squint. You could see KWP being the same for Rose if you squint really really hard. And if you just gouge your eyeballs clean out you can see Foyth or CCV covering for Toby.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom