Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Basically said that Toby wants to join Utd and he's willing to just see out his contract until he gets the move.

Think United will give a fuck in 2 years time? ...That makes him 31 1/2 yrs old.

What a clusterfuck! He could have signed last year; had 2 years at an improved wage and probably left with our blessing.

I still think it makes sense to keep Toby and “lose” him for £25M next summer:
(A) we get another year of one of the best CB’s in the league
(B) Sanchez, CCV and Foyth all get a year more experience meaning potentially ready-made replacement might be in house already
(C) something might occur to correct the current crazy prices meaning a De Ligt is actually going for £30M rather than £60M
(D) he might get injured/perform poor/“do a Rose” in which case we might be able to keep him another year
(E) he may realise that he’s leaving £75k per week on the table by not signing a new deal and risking having to make a move summer 2019 and sign a contract

a) ...He'll start the season on our bench unless we play 3CBs
b) See a) ...He's already been replaced by Sanchez.
c) ...And we'd have Toby clogging up a CB (and non-HG) spot in the unlikely-hood that this did transpire.
d) Why would we want to have an injured/moody/under-performing player for final year of his contract if for whatever reason he's been shit?
e) So many 'ifs' before that is of any benefit to us.

It really is best if he goes now. Keeping him poses more questions than answers.

Last edited:
You'd only go to Utd at the moment for financial reasons. It's a stale club, out dated manager who probably won't last the season, out dated stadium, boring football. De Gea and Sanchez are only there because they're being obscenely overpaid. Alderweireld's shown himself to be a questionable character. I think you could understand a player pushing for a move to City, great vibe there at the moment with Guardiola, on upward trajectory, but Utd are a festering and decaying cash cow who every charlatan from Mourinho to the Glazers sucks money out of.

Not wishing to write out of turn but things do not seem completely tickerty boo at Spurs do they ?
Despite the infrastructure put in place, youth players either want out and are legging it to Germany like a facist in 39 or they are simply not hitting the mark and are ending up in the lower leagues, like they always did when we were training near the council tip in Chigwell......

And despite consistently being in the Champions League some of our “big” name stars continue to flash their Alan Wickers @ Manchester and other such flash places in the hope of a better tomorrow. Seems they are oblivious to the glory offered by our NFL branded Soccer stadium / sky walk / cheese bar / brewery / Death Star.

Despite investment.

Walker walked.

“Rose” proved himself a bramble bush

& Toby has shown the same level of loyalty and class as Amanda Holden did to Les Dennis...

Add to the internal problems with the reality that players like Zaha opt to stay at Palace despite our bonus scheme being Redknapp levels of tasty :harryhmm:

Ungrateful bastards the lot of them. Has to be said.

But then also it’s a money game and our club seems hell bent on copying the Gooner business model of short arms / deep pockets and Austerity ( self imposed Austerity or self created due to poor project management )

The balance is still in ENIC’s favour, And while we are top 4 they will get a bit of a pass but questions at some point will need to be asked of this chap :levystare:and what his next 5 year plan is. We finished one cycle so what’s next ?

553,000,000 have died in the past 10 years while his stadium project has been on going. At this rate another 553,000,000 will peg it before we can buy a player on market rate wages. I joke but there is a lot of cake tomorrow with ENIC and the cake is ready in September, so we assume.

The direction post stadium move can’t be the same as it was pre stadium move. And that someone has spent £800 million on a £400 million project, while micro managing the CCTV in the club car park ( true story that ) while he should be running a football club are points to look at and question.

Anyway, buy a decent CM and I can recover my sanity. :parker: :klinsmann:

Last edited:
He's got history hasn't he?

Wasn't he a massive cunt during the whole Southampton/Atletico situation??
Don't want to tar him with the 'cunt' brush on that one given he was always on the way out of Athletico Madrid and we gave him a better option than Southampton.

Though you can just imagine he gave Southampton no reason to think he'd opt for someone else...

Lucas and Son would 100% be better in a 433. I think Dier and Wanyama would be too. Dier more so, because he's a bit better on the ball.

Eriksen deeper is the dream. He practically plays there anyway, just not on 'paper' - Dele, who played central midfield for most of his professional career, would benefit from the ability break through the lines of defence unmarked to be a killer in the box.

433 also benefits Sissoko in central midfield.

Whilst it isn't the same formation we played against Liverpool. Eriksen and Dele played deeper in that game and it was probably Deles best performance all season

We also bought Lamela after he scored 17 goals in Serie A, playing WRF in Roma's 433.

I don't agree about Dier being better on the ball than Wanyama - Dier shouldn't be anywhere near a midfield IMO - And Grealish shouldn't either - and Sissoko shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch, but I've been banging the 433 drum for a long while, we've been buying (and producing from our academy) players that suit it and playing everything but for the last few seasons.

Ah. Not a massive surprise considering what we've been hearing about his contract situation for months.

Still the mark of a cunt.

This whole situation has really opened my eyes on Toby. He and his agent seem like right cunts. Sanchez at this point, IMO, is as good as Toby ever was for us and has a higher ceiling. Toby severely underperformed coming back from injury last season. He’s not even close to being committed and keeping him around could have the danger of the likes that Kaboul, Capoue, and Adebayor were trying to cause. We just need to fuck him off this summer.

Is it bad that part of me hopes that if he goes to Utd that when Dele or Lamela are pressing they absolutely take him out and smash him into the pitch?

This whole situation has really opened my eyes on Toby. He and his agent seem like right cunts. Sanchez at this point, IMO, is as good as Toby ever was for us and has a higher ceiling. Toby severely underperformed coming back from injury last season. He’s not even close to being committed and keeping him around could have the danger of the likes that Kaboul, Capoue, and Adebayor were trying to cause. We just need to fuck him off this summer.

Is it bad that part of me hopes that if he goes to Utd that when Dele or Lamela are pressing they absolutely take him out and smash him into the pitch?
Honestly, he'll injure himself regardless before too long. Interesting to see how our players react to him if he does go - regardless of what we've said about Walker on here, the players seem to have maintained a decent relationship with him and are pally when they meet.

You'd only go to Utd at the moment for financial reasons. It's a stale club, out dated manager who probably won't last the season, out dated stadium, boring football. De Gea and Sanchez are only there because they're being obscenely overpaid. Alderweireld's shown himself to be a questionable character. I think you could understand a player pushing for a move to City, great vibe there at the moment with Guardiola, on upward trajectory, but Utd are a festering and decaying cash cow who every charlatan from Mourinho to the Glazers sucks money out of.

I think that is a bit wishful thinking on all fronts.

Back
Top Bottom