Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bremen has a fair few good players if we want to look at Germany for some shopping. I was very impressed with their game against Leverkusen.

Bremen has a fair few good players if we want to look at Germany for some shopping. I was very impressed with their game against Leverkusen.

Josh Sargent.

Can play as a wide forward or up top, 19 years old, 6 ft 1, relatively quick and with him being American, could be a smart acquisition.

Also like the look of the Eggestein brothers (preferably Johannes, the striker) - oh and there's also some lad named Milos Veljkovic ;)

Josh Sargent.

Can play as a wide forward or up top, 19 years old, 6 ft 1, relatively quick and with him being American, could be a smart acquisition.

Also like the look of the Eggestein brothers (preferably Johannes, the striker) - oh and there's also some lad named Milos Veljkovic ;)
Augustinsson would also be a good left back option. Very balanced playing style. Both useful in attack and in defense.

Carter-Vickers played on the left side of a three against the oil riggers. Not that that means that that is the way forward, that?

He's pretty much dragged Villa to a play off spot mate. Without him, they're absolutely nothing as a team as proven when he missed months through injury.

It's probably a reason he's priced so high. Because to them he's pretty much priceless and without them they're pretty much useless.

Considering we NEED homegrown players - until someone can tell me a better player we can get than Grealish who has played over 100s of games of mens football, is home grown, can play in an 8 in a midfield 3 or in a 10 behind a striker for the prices listed, fair enough.

Can't help but notice Olly Norwood has better stats this season than Grealish, has played at a higher level and is Home Grown. And yet no interest in him?

Can't help but notice Olly Norwood has better stats this season than Grealish, has played at a higher level and is Home Grown. And yet no interest in him?

He's played over 1000 more minutes than Grealish yet scored less and only has 3 more assists than him. He's also 5 years older. I assume that's probably why no team worth a damn is interested.

Sigurdsson has much better stats this season than Eriksen, shall we replace Eriksen with him when he leaves us for Madrid? Get rid of Lucas and bring Ryan Fraser in?

He's played over 1000 more minutes than Grealish yet scored less and only has 3 more assists than him. He's also 5 years older. I assume that's probably why no team worth a damn is interested.

Sigurdsson has much better stats this season than Eriksen, shall we replace Eriksen with him when he leaves us for Madrid? Get rid of Lucas and bring Ryan Fraser in?

So why the clamour for Grealish. If stats don't matter and age is of the utmost importance, why should we sign Grealish.

And if stats don't matter, why do you constantly use them?

Stats are all well and good, I rather see someone play in the flesh and see what they're capable of.
I think we are gonna spend big in the summer
:levyeyes:

So why the clamour for Grealish. If stats don't matter and age is of the utmost importance, why should we sign Grealish.

And if stats don't matter, why do you constantly use them?

Because he's a great player. I think it's highly likely Pochettino makes more out of a Grealish than he would out of a Norwood.

Stats DO matter when used in the correct context. A bit like when people say Sissoko is good defensively, even when the stats prove that he isn't or when people say Winks never passes forward despite stats showing you that he makes more successful forward passes than anyone on our team (and more than he makes sideways or backwards)

But then you have to take into consideration the teams they play for, how important they are to their team, the style of play their teams play for etc. - when comparing players like this who aren't particularly KNOWN for assists or goals, it's best to look at their impact to the team.

Also how their assists or goals come about. Norwood is Sheffield Uniteds penalty taker, so his goals are coming via penalties. I believe he also takes their set pieces. Grealish doesn't take set pieces for Villa nor does he take their penalties. He's more of an assist the assister (a bit like Dembele)

Norwood is a good busy player and there are PLENTY of those about in the lower leagues and the lower end of the Premier League, probably a big reason why he's not played a single second of Premier League football in his 10 year career.

Hard to compare their importance to the team when it comes to Norwood as he's played every single game this season in the league. Last season however, he missed 10 league games, Sheffield United won 7 of them, drew 2 of them and lost just 1 game.

Grealish however, was severely missed, which probably shows how important his overall play is to the team. he missed 13 games through injury and they won 2 games. Since he's come back from injury, they've made up 6 points in the play off place, they've won all 4 games and he's scored 2 goals and got 1 assist within that time with one being the winning goal in a derby.

In fact after a slow start to the season, his stats from his last 10 league games are:

Played 10
Scored: 4
Assisted: 4
Won: 8
Drawn: 2
Lost: 0

There's a player there with untapped potential.

Because he's a great player. I think it's highly likely Pochettino makes more out of a Grealish than he would out of a Norwood.

Stats DO matter when used in the correct context. A bit like when people say Sissoko is good defensively, even when the stats prove that he isn't or when people say Winks never passes forward despite stats showing you that he makes more successful forward passes than anyone on our team (and more than he makes sideways or backwards)

But then you have to take into consideration the teams they play for, how important they are to their team, the style of play their teams play for etc. - when comparing players like this who aren't particularly KNOWN for assists or goals, it's best to look at their impact to the team.

Also how their assists or goals come about. Norwood is Sheffield Uniteds penalty taker, so his goals are coming via penalties. I believe he also takes their set pieces. Grealish doesn't take set pieces for Villa nor does he take their penalties. He's more of an assist the assister (a bit like Dembele)

Norwood is a good busy player and there are PLENTY of those about in the lower leagues and the lower end of the Premier League, probably a big reason why he's not played a single second of Premier League football in his 10 year career.

Hard to compare their importance to the team when it comes to Norwood as he's played every single game this season in the league. Last season however, he missed 10 league games, Sheffield United won 7 of them, drew 2 of them and lost just 1 game.

Grealish however, was severely missed, which probably shows how important his overall play is to the team. he missed 13 games through injury and they won 2 games. Since he's come back from injury, they've made up 6 points in the play off place, they've won all 4 games and he's scored 2 goals and got 1 assist within that time with one being the winning goal in a derby.

In fact after a slow start to the season, his stats from his last 10 league games are:

Played 10
Scored: 4
Assisted: 4
Won: 8
Drawn: 2
Lost: 0

There's a player there with untapped potential.
Better than Van De Beek who was running round making an arse out of Modric last week?

And Norwood has played in the Euro finals and given big names the runaround.

Here's a simple fact. The clamour for Grealish only started after that goal against Derby.

And if you want to go into more detail about Villa, I'd take a guess Villa play best with Grealish and McGinn. So let's make SausageVince happy.

Of course, there'd be no room for Winks

Better than Van De Beek who was running round making an arse out of Modric last week?

Here's a simple fact. The clamour for Grealish only started after that goal against Derby.

And if you want to go into more detail about Villa, I'd take a guess Villa play best with Grealish and McGinn. So let's make SausageVince happy.

Not disagreeing or anything, but the current squad has too many foreign players in it to register and not enough HG. These kind of things need to be considered when building a group of players to challenge.

But signing van de Beek is pointless when we need HG players..

They are entirely different players too. Would be happy with both of them.

I've wanted Grealish since the summer.

But signing van de Beek is pointless when we need HG players..

They are entirely different players too. Would be happy with both of them.

I've wanted Grealish since the summer.
So English goalkeeper instead of Vorm is first move, yet we kept Vorm for some reason.

We might need English players, but overpaying for an average player is no solution.

Why not get rid of Dier and Davies?

So English goalkeeper instead of Vorm is first move, yet we kept Vorm for some reason.

We might need English players, but overpaying for an average player is no solution.

Why not get rid of Died and Davies?

Well we'll just use one of our own academy goalkeepers as third choice, so that's fine.

I assume because Dier and Davies are versatile. We should be looking to get rid of Nkoudou, Janssen, Llorente before getting rid of proper first team players. Then Eriksen and Alderweireld go too. Which frees up a lot of space.

Grealish and Bowen would be great HG additions. Then get in some full backs and another midfielder. (van de beek, diawara, berge)

If we lose Vorm, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Wanyama Llorente, N'Koudou and Jansen and say Aurier, our foreigners are

LLoris-Gazaniga

Foyth-Vertonghen-Sanchez-Davies

Sissoko-Dier-Lamela-Moura

Son

11 players. We can then sign 6 foreigners.

So the clamour for HG players is only if we can't shift deadwood. Then that's just shit work at boardroom and management level.

Back
Top Bottom