Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Debts of £637m. Roughly 5-6 seasons of Champions League qualification prize money & gate receipts compared to the prize pot for winning the FA Cup 100 times. I wonder why we seem to prioritise the top 4 over a cup run :gallashmm:

£637m is a proper slab we have to pay of. No wonder we tip toe the line like we have done in recent years.

637m on a 1.2 billion pound business, with turnover of 400m, that's nothing to worry about ... stick it on a 20 year bond at competitive interest and it's only 40m a year ... the New Stadium will add >100m a year so as you can see we are still way better off ... not sure why people can't grasp this simple fact, we didn't spent 800m to be worse off, whatever you think about DL and ENIC they aren't feckin' stupid.

We've already had the 'pain' funding some 350m out of our own money ... that's done now finally we can start reaping the rewards of 16 years of belt tightening (yup we starting land purchases 16 years ago) ... this summer is a new financial dawn just wait and see

637m on a 1.2 billion pound business, with turnover of 400m, that's nothing to worry about ... stick it on a 20 year bond at competitive interest and it's only 40m a year ... the New Stadium will add >100m a year so as you can see we are still way better off ... not sure why people can't grasp this simple fact, we didn't spent 800m to be worse off, whatever you think about DL and ENIC they aren't feckin' stupid.

We've already had the 'pain' funding some 350m out of our own money ... that's done now finally we can start reaping the rewards of 16 years of belt tightening ... this summer is a new financial dawn just wait and see
Damn dude. Tight finance analysis

Those trust minutes didn't exactly fill me with hope.
We're in with a real possibility of losing CL football and he seemed totally non fussed about our failure to strengthen. If we have no money then I'd suggest we have a problem because sooner or later others who are investing will catch up - see the scum this year. And I presume no CL means a massive loss in revenue which would leave us even further behind.

In the summer I'd love for us to go on a spending spree as the squad clearly needs strengthening and freshening up but it seems likely that there is no chance of that happening. Worrying times.

Those trust minutes didn't exactly fill me with hope.
We're in with a real possibility of losing CL football and he seemed totally non fussed about our failure to strengthen. If we have no money then I'd suggest we have a problem because sooner or later others who are investing will catch up - see the scum this year. And I presume no CL means a massive loss in revenue which would leave us even further behind.

In the summer I'd love for us to go on a spending spree as the squad clearly needs strengthening and freshening up but it seems likely that there is no chance of that happening. Worrying times.
It's the same as usual. We buy based on what we sell. Like 90% of all other clubs.

It's the same as usual. We buy based on what we sell. Like 90% of all other clubs.
That's not true though is.

Saying most other clubs only spend what they make through transfers would mean we wouldn't be bottom of the net spend pile. I find the argument strange, it's like working class people arguing for austerity.

If you want to succeed you have to invest. Sure we have a stadium to pay for but I don't think anyone can argue that we have weakened ourselves in the past couple of years.

That's not true though is.
But it is true. Majority of clubs spend mainly what they make on sales on players in + whatever they have in their transfer budget. Which is based on what other investments they have. Clubs that aren't taking part in major infrastructure projects obviously have a bit more flexibility in their investment on the pitch. Which is why CL football is so important since it generates more income that can be used to bring in more/better players.

We are on the right track. A title might still be a few years away but the club is placing itself in just the right position to push on. We cannot compare ourselves to the sugar daddy clubs like City, PSG and up until recently the Chavs because they are just that, sugar daddy clubs.

Back
Top Bottom