Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But it is true. Majority of clubs spend mainly what they make on sales on players in + whatever they have in their transfer budget. Which is based on what other investments they have. Clubs that aren't taking part in major infrastructure projects obviously have a bit more flexibility in their investment on the pitch. Which is why CL football is so important since it generates more income that can be used to bring in more/better players.

We are on the right track. A title might still be a few years away but the club is placing itself in just the right position to push on. We cannot compare ourselves to the sugar daddy clubs like City, PSG and up until recently the Chavs because they are just that, sugar daddy clubs.

100% agree, to be honest I don’t expect to compete with those clubs in terms of spending and any trophy would mean so much given how we have to attempt to compete. Anyone who expects us to compete with the financially will always be miserable, I don’t see how people can expect it but each to their own.

I’m guessing £60 million or so will do it. I do not believe the absurd £200 million that’s being quoted.

The more clubs that come in for him the higher the price ... 120-150m is not out of the question and provided we spend that money well it may yet prove to be a good deal. Liverpool selling Coutinho certainly didn't hurt them.

But it is true. Majority of clubs spend mainly what they make on sales on players in + whatever they have in their transfer budget. Which is based on what other investments they have. Clubs that aren't taking part in major infrastructure projects obviously have a bit more flexibility in their investment on the pitch. Which is why CL football is so important since it generates more income that can be used to bring in more/better players.

We are on the right track. A title might still be a few years away but the club is placing itself in just the right position to push on. We cannot compare ourselves to the sugar daddy clubs like City, PSG and up until recently the Chavs because they are just that, sugar daddy clubs.

Key part there is you mentioning budget based on whatever other investments they have. I'd like to make it clear I understand why we don't have much cash, I appreciate were building infrastructure that will last forever and should help us catch up with the BIG clubs and I appreciate we're in a sticky situation.

However pretty much everyone has outspend us in the past few years and whilst our amazing manager has had us competing I worry that this year there is a very real possibility that we don't get top four and as you say it's so important.

There is a balance, between austerity and sensible investment, I believe we have got that balance wrong. We look a stale and tired squad and whilst the new stadium is amazing it will look even more amazing with champions league football than it would with that bloody europa league.

It looks like another summer with little investment as Woolwich will continue to move forward, United will no doubt buy big, Wolves are a threat next year make no mistake about that and I bet Everton will spend as well. Everyone around us will be looking to kick on again this summer, except Chelsea who look to be in trouble. Can we afford to risk another summer of little to no investment?

The more clubs that come in for him the higher the price ... 120-150m is not out of the question and provided we spend that money well it may yet prove to be a good deal. Liverpool selling Coutinho certainly didn't hurt them.

I don't diasgree with the principle, but didn't Coutinho still have four or five years left on his contract? Plus, it was January.

I just don't think Eriksen is good enough to start that sort of bidding war. Fingers crossed he is though. Actually, fingers crossed he stays, but that's not likely.

Pretty certain he’ll have a relegation release clause and be on the cheapish therefore we will be all over it
:levylol:

I don't think there is a relegation clause - he singed his contract when they were in the Championship so would seem unlikely, haven't seen any mentioned anywhere.

Interesting to see that, as of 2011/2012 Tottenham had actually spent more on transfers than Man U, Woolwich & Liverpool had (we'd spent £12m more than Man U had between the years 1991/2012 according to see numbers). This slow down in spending coincides with roughly when the Northumberland Development Project properly kicks in 2011/2012.

From 1991-2009/10 we were actually the 6th biggest spenders of money in all of Europe and our name only comes into the mix 2004/2005 times, a solid 3-4 years into Levy and ENIC being at the club.

It's misleading though. Why so much spend? Because we kept getting our best players poached. It's recycling the same money. Clubs like Utd rarely had to suffer that.

It's misleading though. Why so much spend? Because we kept getting our best players poached. It's recycling the same money. Clubs like Utd rarely had to suffer that.

True but when we come into that list at around 2011/2012 time we still hadn't sold Modric, Bale or Walker I believe. The only big ones we had sold were Berbatov, Carrick.

It's definitely skewed but so are every other clubs as it doesn't show money they made on player sales. Either way it's amazing to see how quickly the likes of City and Chelsea popped up and how many names are on that list that you wouldn't guess. Rangers, Everton, Blackburn, Lazio etc

Back
Top Bottom