Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What I should have said was, I would have to watch them more with this question in mind to specifically address it. They have a very intelligent coach. They clearly have players that can follow his coached instructions, that takes intelligence and/or cognitive ability.
I don't want to hear any more tangential stuff from you. We are talking specifically about what individual players do when they have the ball.

Could it be that you underestimate these factors in the RBL team?
No. Compare them to Dortmund or Bayern, and tell me if they have more technically gifted players than either of them.
Who do think has more intelligent players, as a group, Spurs or RBL? And I mean in the footballing sense obviously.
Technical, tactical, physical, psychological.

RBL are light years ahead of us in terms of the physical and tactical stuff. I would imagine they are ahead of us in the psychological department, too. Technically, I am not sure there is much between us.

But his career stats don't support that bullshit do they?

How much did you watch him at Lyon?

The danger of basing your opinions on the sound bites of others.
As a matter of fact, we have been having this ménage à trois for ages now; todd1882 todd1882 , bus-conductor bus-conductor , and RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK . You have spilled your seed everywhere raving to me about this guy (Fekir). On the other side of the bed, I have had todd telling me that you are blowing your load without adequate justification. So, I have had two of the nuttiest (but most informed, and in your case, absurdly recalcitrant) Spurs fans with an Internet connection in my ear over this for two years now, fighting for my approval. So, I took it upon myself to watch Fekir at Lyon; because I like to listen to what certain people have to say (people like you and todd), and then made up my own mind. And I decided that all things considered, Fekir would not be right for us. For the reasons I have given.

Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho has earmarked Chelsea ace Willian as one of his priority targets ahead of the next transfer window. Spurs could face a problem in attempting to secure the 31-year-old winger’s signature on a free transfer at the start of July, however. He is out of contract at Chelsea on June 30 but the coronavirus pandemic has raised the possibility of staying at Stamford Bridge until the 2019/20 season officially ends.

The only reason fekir went to betis for fuck all was because we got Gio from them. I'm more than happy with that arrangement since Gio has arguably been our best player for the last 4 months or so.

I don't want to hear any more tangential stuff from you. We are talking specifically about what individual players do when they have the ball.

No. Compare them to Dortmund or Bayern, and tell me if they have more technically gifted players than either of them.

Technical, tactical, physical, psychological.

RBL are light years ahead of us in terms of the physical and tactical stuff. I would imagine they are ahead of us in the psychological department, too. Technically, I am not sure there is much between us.

You berate me for allegedly going off on tangents, then you do the same.

Do you think you underestimate the footballing intelligence and cognitive ability of the RBL players - specifically their ability to understand and carry out instructions of their coach?

What I'm getting is that you are possibly mistaking technical ability for intelligence/cognitive ability - and I used us v them to demonstrate this. On paper they don't have "better" (more technically talented players) - certainly not vastly - but they were able to function at a much higher level than us.

Does this not suggest to you that one of the reasons could be they have players who are more intelligent or with better cognitive skills ?

Edit
And psychology is also a function of the brain, not a physical one.

As a matter of fact, we have been having this ménage à trois for ages now; todd1882 todd1882 , bus-conductor bus-conductor , and RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK . You have spilled your seed everywhere raving to me about this guy (Fekir). On the other side of the bed, I have had todd telling me that you are blowing your load without adequate justification. So, I have had two of the nuttiest (but most informed, and in your case, absurdly recalcitrant) Spurs fans with an Internet connection in my ear over this for two years now, fighting for my approval. So, I took it upon myself to watch Fekir at Lyon; because I like to listen to what certain people have to say (people like you and todd), and then made up my own mind. And I decided that all things considered, Fekir would not be right for us. For the reasons I have given.

Ok, that's fine.

Which one of these would you prefer to have available to us now, Alli, Moura, Son, Lamela or Fekir ?

Yes, they could end up with Fatty Fekir, and they already have that other guy who kicks a ball and chases after it whom you were desperate for us to sign.

Pepe you mean ? The fella who's already scoring/assisting at a higher rate than half of our attack force, in his first season in English football you mean?

Yeah, I definitely think we could have worse and he'd have been a drastic improvement on Moura, Lamela, Bergwijn and possibly Alli (who he's already nearly on par with for output) long term.

What I'm getting is that you are possibly mistaking technical ability for intelligence/cognitive ability - and I used us v them to demonstrate this.
Am I mistaking technical ability for tactical intelligence? No.
On paper they don't have "better" (more technically talented players) - certainly not vastly.
Thank you.
Does this not suggest to you that one of the reasons could be they have players who are more intelligent or with better cognitive skills ?
What it certainly says to me is that Nagelsmann understands very well the strengths and weaknesses of the players at his disposal, and has a very clear vision of how to get the best out of that group, both in terms of his ability to explain to his players what he wants from them, and his ability to sell his ideas to them.

Ok, that's fine.

Which one of these would you prefer to have available to us now, Alli, Moura, Son, Lamela or Fekir ?
Son. Without question.
Yeah, I definitely think we could have worse and he'd have been a drastic improvement on Moura, Lamela, Bergwijn and possibly Alli (who he's already nearly on par with for output) long term.
Would you have spent £72m on a player with such iffy close control?

What it certainly says to me is that Nagelsmann understands very well the strengths and weaknesses of the players at his disposal, and has a very clear vision of how to get the best out of that group, both in terms of his ability to explain to his players what he wants from them, and his ability to sell his ideas to them.

You are completely ignoring the players role in all this. Can you not accept that if they were all stupid they wouldn’t be able to carry out those ideas as well as they do.

Ie: he wouldn’t be able to get our bunch of fuckwits to do what he wanted as well would he? Just like Poch couldn’t get them to do what he wanted ( and even Mourinho seems to be struggling to get them to do basic collective drills).

Does it not occur to you that intelligence and cognitive ability are something that good recruitment takes into account.

Hence Liverpool (one of the best recruitment machines in football - who buy from Rangnick’s recruitment quite a lot) were interested in Fekir maybe?

Son. Without question.

Exactly. So Fekir is an instant upgrade on the other 3. For 20m

Would you have spent £72m on a player with such iffy close control?

I don’t think it’s that bad, and will get better the more he acclimatises.

But I also think there will always be compromises - if you wait until you find the perfect specimen, with our budget, you will sign no one.

The question isn’t is Pepe perfect, it’s could he be better than what we have. Does he produce.

Nabil Fekir is not an instant upgrade and isn’t at Liverpool right now because of a recurring knee issue. I don’t really see him as someone who even gets in our regular starting XI.

We need to upgrade our defense so much more than bringing in another attacking midfielder.

Exactly. So Fekir is an instant upgrade on the other 3. For 20m
Exactly nothing. I never said Fekir would be an instant upgrade on Alli, Lamela, Moura (all of whom have maddening technical deficiencies). The sum total of his "qualities" (and how he would mesh with the players we already have) would not persuade me to swap him for the other three. As I said earlier, Fekir does nothing without the ball. For that reason alone, I would not even begin to consider him. Another reason I would not even begin to consider him is that he is so slow (we already have one of the slowest teams in the PL). And another reason I would not pick him is because of his dodgy knee, which is one reason why Liverpool pulled the plug on doing a deal for him, according to his agent.

The question is this; was he value for money? Or would you prefer a CEREBRAL player like Brandt, who cost about three times less?

I would prefer Brandt, as you probably know, specially at a third of the price, but Brandt didn’t want to come to us, and if he moved this summer, with his current contract, he would not be a third of the price, and would again probably have better options.

And Brandt also does not play where/how Pepe does, so we could conceivably have both.

Exactly nothing. I never said Fekir would be an instant upgrade on Alli, Lamela, Moura (all of whom have maddening technical deficiencies). The sum total of his "qualities" (and how he would mesh with the players we already have) would not persuade me to swap him for the other three. As I said earlier, Fekir does nothing without the ball. For that reason alone, I would not even begin to consider him. Another reason I would not even begin to consider him is that he is so slow (we already have one of the slowest teams in the PL). And another reason I would not pick him is because of his dodgy knee, which is one reason why Liverpool pulled the plug on doing a deal for him, according to his agent.

You’d prefer Lamela and Moura ? Pfft...

Do you really think Klopp/Liverpool would have been remotely interested in him if he was the idle loafer who only turns up once a month, you think he is?

I would prefer Brandt, as you probably know, specially at a third of the price, but Brandt didn’t want to come to us, and if he moved this summer, with his current contract, he would not be a third of the price, and would again probably have better options.

And Brandt also does not play where/how Pepe does, so we could conceivably have both.
I am not saying we could have had Brandt. I understand the appeal for German players of playing in the BuLi. What I am doing is using the example of a genuinely cerebral player to see how Pepe measures up in that department. One is an artist. The other is a bumbler.

If they both went for £72m, which of them would you prefer?
And putting Brandt aside, was Pepe value for money at £72m?
And if you don't think he was, at what price would you say he would have represented value for money to us?

You are talking as if there is no value to be had out there. Quite clearly, there is. But we have become atrocious at finding it.

You have to ask what the hell we were doing chasing after the likes of Dybala and Coutinho. Depressingly scattergun stuff.

You’d prefer Lamela and Moura ? Pfft...
I would prefer not to replace flawed players with more deeply flawed players.
Do you really think Klopp/Liverpool would have been remotely interested in him if he was the idle loafer who only turns up once a month, you think he is?
Their judgement is not bulletproof up there. You raved about Keita before they signed him. Looks like he is surplus to requirements.

Fekir would be a strange fit for a team like Liverpool, who are more about intensity than anything else.

I had a good look at Kabak's performance against RBL from a while back, and decided to put together a few clips of some of the things he did/didn't do that gave me cause for concern. He is wearing #4.

Back
Top Bottom