Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So the tools are good enough they just need motivation?
Some are good enough some aren’t and are being replaced.
You’re talking about the CL final like it was yesterday.

There’s been a lot going on in the rest of the 2019, summer, the start of last season all the way to now.

You think Poch is a brilliant man manager that can polish turds right?
What happened then?
And why is it not his job to pick his squad up off the floor? Did you not see Eriksens face the entire time during the Amazon doc.

That was what happened to our best players.
There was no coming back from it, and 2019 was the last big push.
A better manager would have managed it all better.

For me, Foyth, Carter, Gedson, Dele or Lamela. This 3 or 4 players can leave the club. Maybe Gazzaniga too... Sessegnon depends on the system. With 3 CB i think he can stay...

And two signings, Skriniar and Milik
Major problem with Sess is he never showed that he can be a good player, always very average exhibitions at best. I would go for the loan or maybe sell for a good price. Agree on the others, if necessary we should sell, despite I would prefer to keep Lamela for the cups.

not overly fussed by Milik but would have been ok for last nights game and other less important ones. Aurier showed he can still be of use. I think he's ok back-up but not our No.1

It's good to see we're able to field a B team that still contains a high degree of quality. It's what we need to win a trophy whilst trying to get a CL spot.

I see the home grown quota as the only issue going forward.

Some are good enough some aren’t and are being replaced.
You’re talking about the CL final like it was yesterday.

There’s been a lot going on in the rest of the 2019, summer, the start of last season all the way to now.

You think Poch is a brilliant man manager that can polish turds right?
What happened then?
And why is it not his job to pick his squad up off the floor? Did you not see Eriksens face the entire time during the Amazon doc.

That was what happened to our best players.
There was no coming back from it, and 2019 was the last big push.
A better manager would have managed it all better.
I agree he should have picked up the players and he paid the ultimate price.
So after the final some tools were no longer good enough? Or between then and Poch's sacking, which must mean that Poch needed even more players than we bought that summer.

I don't think you get the point, we have a manager now, who knows how to win but he's changing the tools that got us to the CL final.
Eriksen is gone, Trippier is gone, Jan is gone, Llorente is gone. Not the same tools.

He is however playing Moura, who got us there.

Winks and Sissoko were always back up levels, and Poch was backed with Ndombele and Lo Celso.

Kane, Son, Lloris, Toby, Dele all still here and part of the squad.

We’ve replaced Aurier who Poch had as second choice.
We’ve signed Hojberg and it seems Sissoko will be back up, as he was when Dembele and Wanyama were fit.
We’ve also replaced Rose and or Sessegnon/Davies.

Bale you could say has replaced Eriksen.

So I’m not sure why you have this bizarre picture that the squad today is the one that got to the CL final and are all being replaced for not being good enough. That wasn’t the case, the likes of Eriksen and Jan were just at the end of their mental boundaries and Trippier and Llorente Poch sold.
And as I said before, being good enough in 2018/19 doesn’t mean they still are in 2020/21

We did that deal on GLC so Betis pay less on the sell on clause they had on him. If it’s an unmoved obligation the loan then buy would be an invalid contract (I don’t remember the name of the doctrine in English but like a fake contract you sign with a smaller consideration then actually paid to pay less tax).

Edit: my chitty says Illusory Promise of some sort r-u-s-x r-u-s-x

IIRC, there were some kind of performance clauses where if we played Gio X amount of times then we triggered the obligation to buy; otherwise we could send him back having just paid the loan fee.

When poor ickle Eriksen went downhill it was fatigue, ditto Dele, ditto Kane.
Only for some that have to construct bullshit narratives in order to protect the image they have in their heads. All three benefited from a system that made the sum greater than the parts. Individually each has less threat than the system had; simple, consistent, and no mental gymnastics or agenda. And that's why we should sell them all while their perceived value is based on memories of said system performances and not actual abiilty.
Now people pretending Winks has never had a decent game, or was never a good option, what a load of nonsense.
Ditto for him too.

In Spain and perhaps elsewhere in Europe for all I know, no one talks about "defensive midfielders" in the terms people do on here and elsewhere. They are simply "centrocampistas" - midfielders - who are expected to have a more varied skillset than simply "sitting" (another term I'm not keen on). Think Xabi Alonso, Makalele. Even Busquets has a far more varied remit than simply being a "pure DM".
No BM I think you might be wrong here, according to board wisdom that is. I'm reliably informed that if you tell a midfielder to do a particular job they completely lose the ability and previous skills they employed while operating in other positions. It's science.

Back
Top Bottom