Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's going to be some cash. But the club would be stupid to not plan for a worst case scenario. People tend to forget that the club has to plan for the worst whilst this is going on.

With today's market prices what money we will have available not counting money generated through sales will be more or less no cash.
Ok fair enough I think its key to stress the wording of the article 'preparing' because no clubs know their financial situation

Ok fair enough I think its key to stress the wording of the article 'preparing' because no clubs know their financial situation
Exactly. We are preparing for a scenario where our transfer budget will be very small. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but better to be prepared than caught sleeping.

Exactly. We are preparing for a scenario where our transfer budget will be very small. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but better to be prepared than caught sleeping.
I think we’d have to assume no match day revenue until 2021 at the earliest. That’ll put a fair hole in any budget we’d planned.

If we want to sign say Max Aarons we're gonna have to offer cash , similarly Eze (very small amounts)
Other players we can get on FREE'S / SWAPS /LOANS so I'm not too worried
But Hopefully there is some cash

Is Aarons all that? I don't recall him being a major threat such as Traore or even Ings. Not knocking the guy. I genuinely don't know.

In my head he is in the Sess category. Good player for the future but not worth breaking the bank over.

Is Aarons all that? I don't recall him being a major threat such as Traore or even Ings. Not knocking the guy. I genuinely don't know.

In my head he is in the Sess category. Good player for the future but not worth breaking the bank over.
Just think we need a RB
and He'll be very cheap if we stump up the cash
Happy to see another RB come in though

He’s young, English and decent enough. An upgrade on aurier that’s for sure and he has a high ceiling.

we need better than what we have currently. If we can get a high level CDM and CB to go with him I would be extremely happy with that window.

We also need clever scouts in order to pull this off though and we don’t have those.

GREAT!
Although I doubt this is entirely true , Tottenham will surely have some money , however small that figure is

Matt Law wrote it so I’d say it’s 99% bullshit. He covers us for the Telegraph yet never writes a positive article on us. He’s a very strange man.

I don’t think many clubs will be slashing the cash, especially ones that rely on stadium income like us.

Saying that, I don’t believe we won’t have any cash to spend.

I seem to recall thinking that the other FB was actually better than Aaron's. Lewis is it?

Not ideal if we do, but plenty out there to improve what we already have if we’d need to keep an eye on things financially in light of the Covid situ.

Meunier - free
Hojlberg - swap for KWP + whatever is required
Willian - free
Kurzawa - free
Gotze - free

Not ideal but with that we could easily set up two lots of 11 looking like this:

Lloris
Meunier
Alderweireld
Sanchez
Kurzawa
Hojlberg
Lo Celso
Ndombele
Son
Bergwijn
Kane

Gazzaniga
Aurier
Tanganga
Dier
Davies
Winks
Sissoko
Dele
Lucas
Willian
Gotze

Add Austin, Foyth, Sessegnon, Cirkin, Skipp, Gedson, Lamela, Clarke, Parrott to the mix and even though it’s not as heavyweight as we would like our team to look, it would be far stronger than it is now with hardly any outlay.

People say that a lack of spending this summer will be typical Levy etc but a lot of teams will pull the spending in now, I think this pandemic has hit a lot of teams hard and those that were previously frivolous in their spending will start to be more cautious, especially with the possibility of a second wave/ lack of vaccine to date.

People say that a lack of spending this summer will be typical Levy etc but a lot of teams will pull the spending in now, I think this pandemic has hit a lot of teams hard and those that were previously frivolous in their spending will start to be more cautious, especially with the possibility of a second wave/ lack of vaccine to date.

I think where it will come unstuck for a lot of fans is that we have had all the charts rubbed in our noses that we are the best placed financially going into this mess. Kieran Maguire (from the great podcast called Price of Football) rates us as the most valuable club in England.

Be that as it may, the Telegraph don't know anything but what the club/Hercules tell them. And Levy is hardly going to be saying that we have cash to splash.

I think where it will come unstuck for a lot of fans is that we have had all the charts rubbed in our noses that we are the best placed financially going into this mess. Kieran Maguire (from the great podcast called Price of Football) rates us as the most valuable club in England.

Be that as it may, the Telegraph don't know anything but what the club/Hercules tell them. And Levy is hardly going to be saying that we have cash to splash.

We for sure are extremely well placed financial for the immediate and short term but we do also have near on £600m of debt, let alone the interest to try and clear over a 20-25 year period, which most teams don't.

The owners will for sure be keeping an eye on the immediate and the possible outcomes with one eye on that in mind. The market could shift, money may ease up significantly from sponsors or TV rights, the inflation the game was seeing could easily halt making that £600m an even steeper looking thing to overcome. I would prefer us be frivolous with our spending for sure but until the landscape of football and the economy collectively looks far clearer I wouldn't begrudge us being wary of all potential possibilities and outcomes attached to Covid19 and as our debt danger grows by the day, much like other clubs but for different reasons I can see us being cautious even more so than we are used to seeing with those up top. Hopefully I'm wrong but with how prudent they usually are until this wave is less choppy I fully expect it.

Last edited:
If we sign Fraser or Willian then I don't see us signing a back up striker. I think Son will be that then, as we'll have more cover for the wings. The only way we'll sign one is if they are free or dirt cheap.

Any money we do have will go on absolutely necessary signings (right back, defensive mid)

As for the article by Matt Law, I don't believe a word he says. He's reported every year that Kane is leaving and we don't have any money. He doesn't like Spurs.

As they say, hope for the best, plan for the worst.
I'd imagine the "extra curricular" events that got cancelled will come into the equation in a big way. The two NFL games were said to be worth over £4million. Take that with the other events, merchandise and food sales and there's a big old dent in finances. That's before the ongoing costs and the failure to get the naming rights deal.

Back
Top Bottom