Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

London trio Woolwich, Tottenham and West Ham are also in the pack of clubs hoping to sign Lallana, and they have now been joined by Dyche's ambitious Burnley.

If Poch was our manager I could see us going for lallana as they’re best buds but not now with Mourinho in charge.

GREAT!
Although I doubt this is entirely true , Tottenham will surely have some money , however small that figure is

Of course we will have some money from sales, Rose, Aurier, Foyth, maybe Lamela, we will probably have money for one £30m-ish signing. The rest will have to be free transfers and loans, just like every club that isn't United, City or PSG. It's simply disrespectful to society to spend in the way that we were doing before.

When there are club employees in danger of losing their livelihoods due to the pandemic, I do not want us to spend £50m on a player. We have good players already at this club and many young players ready to help the first team, let's just get on with it and be sensible. Do what we can with free transfers and loans and only in an exceptional circumstance spend a low-ish fee up front.

5 home games remain. 800000 x 5 = £4m
+ NFL games x 2 = £4m
+ NFL matchday revenue x 2 = £1.6m
+ Lady Gaga + GnRoses gigs (Presumably rescheduled so not lost revenue; just delayed.) = £0

= £9.6m lost.

Obviously there'll will be additional stuff to add to that I've not considered.... Anyone care to add to that list?
I miss the cheese room does that count

I miss the cheese room does that count

Of course, everybody loves cheese.... Tough times for all.

Seriously though, yourself as someone that is usually worried that we don't spend enough; how much do you see us losing between now and the end of the current campaign?

My point in all this is that if we say that maybe we had a kitty of 80m planning for this summer; if we see the season completed we'll get all the associated TV money etc. still, so I struggle to see how the potential shortfall comes close to wiping out out what ever kitty we did have in place?

(The projections above barely exceed 10m so far hence me wondering what else I may have missed....)

Of course, everybody loves cheese.... Tough times for all.

Seriously though, yourself as someone that is usually worried that we don't spend enough; how much do you see us losing between now and the end of the current campaign?

My point in all this is that if we say that maybe we had a kitty of 80m planning for this summer; if we see the season completed we'll get all the associated TV money etc. still, so I struggle to see how the potential shortfall comes close to wiping out out what ever kitty we did have in place?

(The projections above barely exceed 10m so far hence me wondering what else I may have missed....)
Well of course the current situation will affect everyone, and I have said previously that I can only see loan or out of contract deals happening for us.
Despite my reservations about the club and it's policies, the one good thing is that with Levy's tight rein this will probably leave us in a better position than most.
A lot of clubs could and maybe will go under, that won't happen to us thankfully, having said all that we may spend more than we expected, I think club managers and fan's will need to adjust and review their expectations for the foreseeable.

Well of course the current situation will affect everyone, and I have said previously that I can only see loan or out of contract deals happening for us.
Despite my reservations about the club and it's policies, the one good thing is that with Levy's tight rein this will probably leave us in a better position than most.
A lot of clubs could and maybe will go under, that won't happen to us thankfully, having said all that we may spend more than we expected, I think club managers and fan's will need to adjust and review their expectations for the foreseeable.

But estimated figures-wise, what impact do you see it having on our kitty?

.....I understand no figures can be set in stone, but if you had to, how would you forecast it?

Not ideal if we do, but plenty out there to improve what we already have if we’d need to keep an eye on things financially in light of the Covid situ.

Meunier - free
Hojlberg - swap for KWP + whatever is required
Willian - free
Kurzawa - free
Gotze - free

Not ideal but with that we could easily set up two lots of 11 looking like this:

Lloris
Meunier
Alderweireld
Sanchez
Kurzawa
Hojlberg
Lo Celso
Ndombele
Son
Bergwijn
Kane

Gazzaniga
Aurier
Tanganga
Dier
Davies
Winks
Sissoko
Dele
Lucas
Willian
Gotze

Add Austin, Foyth, Sessegnon, Cirkin, Skipp, Gedson, Lamela, Clarke, Parrott to the mix and even though it’s not as heavyweight as we would like our team to look, it would be far stronger than it is now with hardly any outlay.

People say that a lack of spending this summer will be typical Levy etc but a lot of teams will pull the spending in now, I think this pandemic has hit a lot of teams hard and those that were previously frivolous in their spending will start to be more cautious, especially with the possibility of a second wave/ lack of vaccine to date.
Based on the articles saying both we and Woolwich have no (net) money to spend I think Willian is 100% off to them rather than us. It's accidentally a brilliant market for him to sell himself as a free agent and you can bet your bottom dollar that Woolwich will be offering him a king's ransom of a contract.

They have form for that. We don't. Best we look at other targets.

FWIW I agree with Alastair Gold and reckon we'll be getting Fraser in for free and making the painful decision to sell Lamela to someone in Italy to raise funds for a player like Aarons.

Based on the articles saying both we and Woolwich have no (net) money to spend I think Willian is 100% off to them rather than us. It's accidentally a brilliant market for him to sell himself as a free agent and you can bet your bottom dollar that Woolwich will be offering him a king's ransom of a contract.

They have form for that. We don't. Best we look at other targets.

FWIW I agree with Alastair Gold and reckon we'll be getting Fraser in for free and making the painful decision to sell Lamela to someone in Italy to raise funds for a player like Aarons.
Is it a painful decision? For me it’s a easy and correct one to do.

But estimated figures-wise, what impact do you see it having on our kitty?

.....I understand no figures can be set in stone, but if you had to, how would you forecast it?
Maybe I'm wrong but I would estimate that our spend will be between 20-30 m without wages factored in, is that optimistic or a conservative one.

Maybe I'm wrong but I would estimate that our spend will be between 20-30 m without wages factored in, is that optimistic or a conservative one.

I'm not asking how much you think we'll have to spend.

Question is/was how much do you expect C19 to knock off of our kitty(*)?

(*....Not what derisory amount could one attribute to the notion that "Levy is tight". I'm genuinely trying to side-step the repetitive boring part.)

I'm not asking how much you think we'll have to spend.

Question is/was how much do you expect C19 to knock off of our kitty(*)?

(*....Not what derisory amount could one attribute to the notion that "Levy is tight". I'm genuinely trying to side-step the repetitive boring part.)
Wow that's a tough one, I reckon with sponsorship and TV rights plus everything thrown in maybe 80-100m.

Back
Top Bottom