Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would have preferred the window to close before the season is due to start on September 12th

I hope for once our chairman brings in the players his manager wants early in the window. Not holding my breath though.

Just been reminded that Weener has deserted RB for the remainder of their CL push because of his trf to Chavski..... Any other high profile players done similar to their clubs post June?

Last edited:
Thiago is in the peak of his career and would make us competitive for some trophies right away. He is a CDM (a 6) for Bayern but plays as a deep lying playmaker, which would enable us to add someone that is solid defensively and can generate goal scoring opportunities for us. His technical skills are elite. We can have GLC at his side and have Dele as a CAM + Son at LW + Lucas / Steve at RW and Kane at ST. Thiago plus GLC would enable us to do a better job of maintaining possession and creating opportunists. We would then do well to sign a very good attacking LB with good defensive qualities.

One thing with Bayern is that their scouting team is elite. Take a look at how much they spent for each of their players in the starting 11. They make good buys and are incredibly good at identifying and buying under-utilized and / or under-the-radar talent. Sane is the exception, not the rule.

If they’re truly willing to swap Thiago for Ndombele, it means they have a well thought-out plan for developing Tanguy and turning him into an elite player. They’re not going to take a flyer on him. Bayern is the one club where if they want our player I feel the need to ask myself what we are missing that they’ve picked up on.

Even their “bad” deals turn out to be decent. For example, so many in the English media have said that James Rodríguez underwhelmed at Bayern and Bayern didn’t want him. Not true. The player wanted to return to Madrid because he didn’t like living in Germany. But if you look at his stats while at Bayern, he was very good. In his two years at Bayern, he had 15 goals and 20 assists in 4,297 minutes, or a goal contribution every 123 minutes. Very good “underwhelming” numbers!

Having said all of that, unless we are certain to keep Tanguy longer than José, if we want to win trophies now I would swap Tanguy for Thiago if the option is there.
Lots of really bad reasoning and concluding going on in this post. So much so that I'm not goingto take the time to rebut it all. But A) Bayern dont 'scout' they mostly recruit B) they do 'miss' eg see one of their highest profile incomings in the last 5 years though I believe they've let him go as wrong time C) They spend so little because players going from German team to German team is usually quite inexpensive. Those same players on the open market would command much higher dollars. And to take how much they've spent on the XI as a metric is folly when they've had Schalke over a barrel for Goretzka & Neuer (and now the new keeper). They don't even shell out solidarity payments FFS they just say GFY.

And crucially, Thiago is old and fragile. We don't need a new coat of paint we need foundation work...everywhere. We suck and the faster we admit it the quicker we can tend to fixing it.

fu5

Benefits of the window closing after the season has started means we can improve areas which are clearly lacking after the season has begun.

Negative. Ongoing speculation of our own players.

We can forget about Thiago. Allegedly he is off to Liverpool, and who would blame him. An elite player at the peak of his powers, going to arguably the best team in the world right now (see trophy cabinet from the last 18 months).

We have 3 winnable games coming up with 9 points on the table. If we can take 7-9 points and leave us with 60 points +/- then we will be out of any european football as I think Leciester will win, wolves will win and Utd will win enough games and gain enough points to put us out of contention there. Im not including Sheff in that as although they are a force this year and who doesnt love an undergod, I wonder if they can keep it up in their second season without massive backing, which they dont have, unless there is a secret slush fund down the back of the biffa bins out side Bramhall Lane. Long story short, even with a spotless finish to the season, European footie is out of our reach unfortuantely. I'm a realist...I have to be. I've been a Spurs fan for 32 years. Proudly, I might add.

I would like to see Tanganga getting runs next season at CB. which I think he will as Jose likes him.
If we sign this Castagne fella, then that will be nice. Thats a bridging signing until we can challenge for top 4 again and get some real quality to challenge him.
We certainly need a DM to destroy and anchor to let GLC, N'dompele and Winks to do what they do best, but I havent got FM20 so I cant tell you who that might be - suggestions welcome for me to watch YouToob videos with horrendous european EDM music in the background.
In the Striker department, it would be great to get Troy playing. If we keep these tactics of 442, which worked nicely against The Arse and doesnt over complicate football, then he could do nicely in that. One suspects he might go on loan, and that might be the best call. Other than that, Manduzkic is out of contract right now....
Buendia would be nice - Norwich chairman saying the bidding starts at £20million for their stars, hes tickling the fancy of Atleti, but I suspect he has unfinished business in the EPL, but will have admirers from the likes of those around like Wolves and The shite in red down the other end of seven sisters road.

I wonder if Jose will kick the arse of Levy in to gear in the windows he's invovled with as manager. I wonder if Levy has no gag reflex and Jeff Bezos likes a bit of baldy-on-baldy action and would like to buy us.

Time will tell. Cant care right now.. im on furlough

Hopefully with the window closing later he'll be able to check things that make negotiations more likely to be successful, like how much the player wants to get paid and if they have image rights and what kind of realistic fee and financial package the selling club want instead of playing transfer chicken with the clock as usual...you know that kind of thing.

Then maybe there wouldn't be as many stories of X player (who are usually always better than what we have) being so close to signing etc.

We can forget about Thiago. Allegedly he is off to Liverpool, and who would blame him. An elite player at the peak of his powers, going to arguably the best team in the world right now (see trophy cabinet from the last 18 months).

We have 3 winnable games coming up with 9 points on the table. If we can take 7-9 points and leave us with 60 points +/- then we will be out of any european football as I think Leciester will win, wolves will win and Utd will win enough games and gain enough points to put us out of contention there. Im not including Sheff in that as although they are a force this year and who doesnt love an undergod, I wonder if they can keep it up in their second season without massive backing, which they dont have, unless there is a secret slush fund down the back of the biffa bins out side Bramhall Lane. Long story short, even with a spotless finish to the season, European footie is out of our reach unfortuantely. I'm a realist...I have to be. I've been a Spurs fan for 32 years. Proudly, I might add.

I would like to see Tanganga getting runs next season at CB. which I think he will as Jose likes him.
If we sign this Castagne fella, then that will be nice. Thats a bridging signing until we can challenge for top 4 again and get some real quality to challenge him.
We certainly need a DM to destroy and anchor to let GLC, N'dompele and Winks to do what they do best, but I havent got FM20 so I cant tell you who that might be - suggestions welcome for me to watch YouToob videos with horrendous european EDM music in the background.
In the Striker department, it would be great to get Troy playing. If we keep these tactics of 442, which worked nicely against The Arse and doesnt over complicate football, then he could do nicely in that. One suspects he might go on loan, and that might be the best call. Other than that, Manduzkic is out of contract right now....
Buendia would be nice - Norwich chairman saying the bidding starts at £20million for their stars, hes tickling the fancy of Atleti, but I suspect he has unfinished business in the EPL, but will have admirers from the likes of those around like Wolves and The shite in red down the other end of seven sisters road.

I wonder if Jose will kick the arse of Levy in to gear in the windows he's invovled with as manager. I wonder if Levy has no gag reflex and Jeff Bezos likes a bit of baldy-on-baldy action and would like to buy us.

Time will tell. Cant care right now.. im on furlough
It's wishful thinking hoping the club get bought out, the club probably won't sell as they won't get the huge asking price that they require.
Levy has probably done his time at spurs but who would be available right now to take it on.

I was actually very impressed with Romeu tonight. He is surprisingly press resistant, well able to pass off both feet and seems quite an intelligent player too. He knows his limits, when and where to pass.
Whilst he's not the DM we need, he's most certainly the type of DM we need.

Watched him a bit since the lockdown and with all links. Like you say he's not World class but he's defo better then anyone else we have in the role won't cost a fortune and will do a solid 7/10 job almost every game.

Reminds me a lot of a Parker type player hon don't realise how important he is until you don't have one

These are our deadline day signings over recent years. Not many successes

LoCelso and Sessegnon
Moura
Llorente, Aurier
Sissoko, Nkoudou
Lloris, Dempsey
Forgot about Lloris

Rest are mostly ranging from average to beyond tragic (Lo Celso still to be proven)

Hopefully with the window closing later he'll be able to check things that make negotiations more likely to be successful, like how much the player wants to get paid and if they have image rights and what kind of realistic fee and financial package the selling club want instead of playing transfer chicken with the clock as usual...you know that kind of thing.

Then maybe there wouldn't be as many stories of X player (who are usually always better than what we have) being so close to signing etc.

I don't get this latest round of Levy winge being brought about by the trf window dates.... Every window has a deadline day regardless and it was universally agreed that shutting the window before the rest of Europe a couple of years ago was a dumb move.

Back
Top Bottom