Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Shame Leeds are going up from a selfish standpoint. Kalvin Phillips looks a talent in the defensive mid role.

Should be throwing money at Lucas Digne, but no idea what it would take for him to leave. No doubt way out of our range.
I like Phillips and Digne a lot.
I still like the idea of Grealish but again no doubt too expensive. GLC and Grealish with a ball winning midfielder just behind would be really hardworking but with ability to play.
I doubt there is a lazier player in the country than Grealish.

Phillips would be really good, we could still get him but he'd be relatively expensive.

Really the elephant in the room is Ndombele, I'm sure we are shopping him around like crazy trying to get our money back or players in exchange. If we can get even £40m for him then we can target a different level of player.

Yeaaa... let's look at the absolute clusterfuck of a season we have right now and rate our players soley on that. Result is simple - essentially everyone is sub-par. And I get that you meant to compare our players within this season but... I'd still think that some other moments are more telling of the abilities.

But when you ask "what else he could get praise for" - well I think mr Gould recently pointed out his leadership skills he witnessed in an empty stadium without crowd roars.

Btw, his crossing is quite average. I don't remember which game it was after the restart but he put ball literally on a plate to Son who squandered it. Sure if he'd try 90 crosses per game as Aurier, he'd get some assists. I'd argue that on net level it is harmful not benefitial.

I will not dig deep into passing stats of this season, but from actually watching games themselves, it is quite surprising conclusion for example that he would be worse passer than for example Sanchez. Ofc when for one player from midfield has to drop to 3 meters from him to pick the ball, it could be as high as 99%, still does not mean he is a better passer on foorball pitch...

P.S had a quick glimpse - Davies passing is better than for example Alli's and Moura's.
also if you want to base your valuation of how good someone is on the ball then Davinson Sanchez pass completion is higher than Alderweirelds. And Sissoko's is higher than Ndombele's.
Now if you claim that Sanches is better passer than Toby and Sissoko is better on the ball than Ndombele "cause pass completion proves it" ... well then I have proven my point about watching games and understanding game :D

I'm sorry but if the only thing being seen as a positive, besides being relatively average, is his shouting ability, then we have a problem and if that is used as a reason NOT to replace him, then we're in trouble.

That's because you'll see what you WANT to see. As evident by this whole conversation. You mention Davinson Sanchez, who has the best pass completion out of any of our defenders.

But Sanchez usually gets abuse for his attempted long passes that are misplaced, whilst Dier and Toby tend to get a pass for those, certainly more of a pass anyway. I think Sanchez's awkward technique makes it seem like he's not comfortable on the ball, a bit like Sakho or Rudiger, when he's more comfortable than people think.

Again though, having a competent defensive midfielder to take that ball from him instead of relying on our centre backs to break lines would be a good start and help our centre backs out a lot more.

I will base my valuation on what I watch.

I don't use Sissoko's pass completion stats to tell me he's a better passer than most. I mix that with how many passes he tends to make a game as well as the touches he makes and see that it's likely he's making simply 5 yard passes unlike say Ndombele or Lo Celso who will look to play more dangerous passes with a lower pass completion, yet making alot more.

You can't tell me you understand the game only to then tell me you rate Ben Davies enough that he shouldn't be upgraded.

Phillips would be really good, we could still get him but he'd be relatively expensive.

Really the elephant in the room is Ndombele, I'm sure we are shopping him around like crazy trying to get our money back or players in exchange. If we can get even £40m for him then we can target a different level of player.
Lets sell him for £40 million then buy another player who might take just as long to Adjust the PL , meanwhile Ndombele comes to Fruition somewhere else?:mourshock:
why not just give him a chance next season when we have hopefully signed a decent DM

You obviously need more than homegrown youngsters and a mixture is best but its why i'd be happy with the likes of Aarons, Godfrey, Eze
I have been having a good look at Godfrey lately, and I like him. Bags of pace, great ability on the ball, but I've heard Norwich fans say his positional sense is rubbish. One of them compared him to Rio Ferdinand, saying he uses his pace to bail him out of mistakes he has made. Have you picked up on any notable weakness in his game? His aerial ability, perhaps?

I have been having a good look at Godfrey lately, and I like him. Bags of pace, great ability on the ball, but I've heard Norwich fans say his positional sense is rubbish. One of them compared him to Rio Ferdinand, saying he uses his pace to bail him out of mistakes he has made. Have you picked up on any notable weakness in his game? His aerial ability, perhaps?

He was involved in pretty much all of West Hams goals when they lost 4-0 the other week.

He lost Antonio for the opening goal, Weak in the air for Antonios second. Lets Antonio sprint beyond him for his hattrick and then isn't aware of Antonio coming across him for the fourth.

Franz Ferdinand might have been a better comparison. Murdered.

On top of all that though - he's better than Aarons and Lewis.

He was involved in pretty much all of West Hams goals when they lost 4-0 the other week.

He lost Antonio for the opening goal, Weak in the air for Antonios second. Lets Antonio sprint beyond him for his hattrick and then isn't aware of Antonio coming across him for the fourth.

Yeah maybe they meant Anton not Rio.

Eredivisie is a top 6 league? Half the teams are league 1 material and defences are hard to come by.

edit: I see he’s in the Portuguese league which is basically the same

Whilst you're probably right - you probably won't find many U21s in the Championship or League 1 with that many goal involvements either.

On top of all that though - he's better than Aarons and Lewis.
I counted 2 mistakes in the entire game. Tried to play Antonio offside for the third goal. Other mistake was standing off Soucek in the box in the first half, allowing him to get a strike on goal.

Zonal marking for the first goal. Norwich lose the first header on the near post (Vranjic). Lose the first header, and a defence is in big trouble.

I put the final goal down to a disgraceful defensive effort by their midfield. Klose makes a poor attempt to stop the cross, and Godfrey is worried about all the West Ham bodies who flooded the box. I think Aarons could have been more alert.

Second goal-Klose is marking Antonio, and loses the aerial duel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom