Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm sorry but if the only thing being seen as a positive, besides being relatively average, is his shouting ability, then we have a problem and if that is used as a reason NOT to replace him, then we're in trouble.

That's because you'll see what you WANT to see. As evident by this whole conversation. You mention Davinson Sanchez, who has the best pass completion out of any of our defenders.

But Sanchez usually gets abuse for his attempted long passes that are misplaced, whilst Dier and Toby tend to get a pass for those, certainly more of a pass anyway. I think Sanchez's awkward technique makes it seem like he's not comfortable on the ball, a bit like Sakho or Rudiger, when he's more comfortable than people think.

Again though, having a competent defensive midfielder to take that ball from him instead of relying on our centre backs to break lines would be a good start and help our centre backs out a lot more.

I will base my valuation on what I watch.

I don't use Sissoko's pass completion stats to tell me he's a better passer than most. I mix that with how many passes he tends to make a game as well as the touches he makes and see that it's likely he's making simply 5 yard passes unlike say Ndombele or Lo Celso who will look to play more dangerous passes with a lower pass completion, yet making alot more.

You can't tell me you understand the game only to then tell me you rate Ben Davies enough that he shouldn't be upgraded.

No I don't use stuff just to base on what I want to see. I pointed out that
- passing stats might be misleading
- and overall I would not base any players evaluation soley on this year.

But I see that in this part I made bold, you actually think that Sanchez is better passer than Toby (and furthermore that he is best passer from our defenders), and this is where I certainly draw a line. We live in different worlds and I don't think they can be merged even in my wildest of imaginations.

I reckon we will end up with something like this

Min Jae
Aarons or Castagne
Hojbjerg
Willian
Eze

If Dier leaves we will probably try and sign Gabriel from Lille or Ajer from Celtic

I do like Farke but I think he got this one terribly wrong. Maybe he’s hoping for a lucky performance from Drmic and Rupp, so he can get someone to take them this summer. Besides of playing them I think he should have made a tactical change early on.

Marcos Alonso was clearly playing a lot higher than Azpilicueta, so Cantwell was almost playing RWB tracking him. I would have liked the Norwich defence to move further to the right so Aarons could deal with Alonso, instead of having Cantwell playing to his weaknesses, cos clearly he’s no strong defender. Maybe that would take the sting out of Alonso, if he knew he had Cantwell camping somewhere behind him.

It’s a shame these Norwich FBs aren’t bombing forward, overlapping on every attack. Not that they are brilliant attackers, but they freed up so much space for the wingers cutting inside. Can’t remember seeing this since the start of the season. Shame

I wouldn’t mind Aarons if he didn’t cost an arm and a leg. I would even go as far as £15m-£17m and think that’s a fair deal. It was always gonna be a tough season for the young players at Norwich. There is some sort of mismatch that the young players, Buendia, Cantwell, Godfrey, Aarons and Lewis, are the ones who have to carry the team. Not enough quality from their seasoned players.

I thought the use of Cantrell was a bit daft as well, it reminded me of Poch using Eriksen almost as a WB to mark Robertson at Anfield. I wasn’t paying loads of attention to tactical detail, I was mostly just watching Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey (and hoping to see Buendia) but I actually thought generally his idea was ok, just think he got the personnel and application of it kind of wrong. I was equally unimpressed with Lampard, who’s team again seemed to lose control of this game for phases of it.

No I don't use stuff just to base on what I want to see. I pointed out that
- and overall I would not base any players evaluation soley on this year.

But I see that in this part I made bold, you actually think that Sanchez is better passer than Toby (and furthermore that he is best passer from our defenders), and this is where I certainly draw a line. We live in different worlds and I don't think they can be merged even in my wildest of imaginations.

No - I don't.

But I think Sanchez gets unfairly criticised on his passing because people will see one or two misplaced passes and blast him as an awful passer. Again that's people seeing what they want to see and believe when judging a player.

I think Vertonghen is our best passing defender, personally.

Part of our decline in the transfer market over the last 5 years is us moving away from what had worked previously and that is buying young British players. Started with Defoe, Robinson, Lennon, Carrick through to Bale, Walker and Alli. Over the last 4 years we were heavily linked with Joe Gomez, Maddison, Brookes and Grealish but didn't pull the trigger. Only Sessegnon comes to mind since Alli. You obviously need more than homegrown youngsters and a mixture is best but its why i'd be happy with the likes of Aarons, Godfrey, Eze (or Edwards back), add in Milik and a decent defensive midfielder and that would be a good window imo. Its easy to be sniffy but its served us well in the past and easier for them to settle.
Totally agree with this. That's why I'd welcome the addition of Brookes, Fergerson, Eze. I'd like all three this window and see zero risk in any of them as signings. Sent the lad (Clarke) at QPR on loan to Bournemouth. Ferguson's on a free I think. Eze should be made part of a permanent deal for Amos. All these deals are realistic.

Part of our decline in the transfer market over the last 5 years is us moving away from what had worked previously and that is buying young British players. Started with Defoe, Robinson, Lennon, Carrick through to Bale, Walker and Alli. Over the last 4 years we were heavily linked with Joe Gomez, Maddison, Brookes and Grealish but didn't pull the trigger. Only Sessegnon comes to mind since Alli. You obviously need more than homegrown youngsters and a mixture is best but its why i'd be happy with the likes of Aarons, Godfrey, Eze (or Edwards back), add in Milik and a decent defensive midfielder and that would be a good window imo. Its easy to be sniffy but its served us well in the past and easier for them to settle.
Well, we live in an age of globalization, I’m not sure restricting ourselves to British players is a good idea.

I do agree with buying young players though.

Jack Clarke has had a wasted season essentially, but he also only turned 19 this season. The situation at Leeds was very annoying, as they had agreed to take him back on loan, then proceeded to take too many players on loan, so one of their loans had to miss out. I'm not sure what has happened to him at QPR, but he was also one of the best dribblers in the Championship in 18/19 as an 18 year old. I say be patient with him, maybe he'll blossom later in his career.

If you actually think that Sanchez is better passer than Toby (and furthermore that he is best passer from our defenders), and this is where I certainly draw a line.
We live in different worlds and I don't think they can be merged even in my wildest of imaginations.
Lee (and I've heard other old pros) was saying passing stats (especially defenders') are nonsense. He alleged some players build up their stats by easy passes and are frightened to take risks because some managers supposedly base team selections on them.
Sanchez has a high proportion of passes to Hugo and the others are mainly to Toby or Eric.

Well, we live in an age of globalization, I’m not sure restricting ourselves to British players is a good idea.

I do agree with buying young players though.
I wouldnt solely do British players. Who wants to miss out on the next Son or Eriksen? Its just when we did that it gave the club an identity in the market that we've totally lost in the last few years. Since 2016 it just seems totally scatergun.

Can I please ask posters to stop mentioning Willian in connection to my club it makes me physically ill. I fucking can't stand him, some players are just tainted by too deep an association with an ugly thing...like the winger at Sunderland. Willian and Chelsea same thing. IF it happens which it won't I'll have to deal till then please lads stop....

I thought the use of Cantrell was a bit daft as well, it reminded me of Poch using Eriksen almost as a WB to mark Robertson at Anfield. I wasn’t paying loads of attention to tactical detail, I was mostly just watching Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey (and hoping to see Buendia) but I actually thought generally his idea was ok, just think he got the personnel and application of it kind of wrong. I was equally unimpressed with Lampard, who’s team again seemed to lose control of this game for phases of it.

Chelsea didn’t play well but there was no real question about who would win the game. Only once did Norwich rest on the ball and manage to push FBs high. Only a spell of a couple of minutes around the hour mark. Disappointing from a relegated team who could have played free without thinking about the score

Back
Top Bottom