Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No real suprise.

The unofficial transfer window usually opens directly after last PL game in mid May, (although registration of new players can only happen from 30 June) and ended just before the season started in mid August (brought forward from previous seasons) - so in practice a full 3 months.

So the TW is starting later (due to PL finishing later) on 27 July and finishing on 5 October (or a week later for EFL transfers) so actually its a shorter TW than usual !

2 CBs in and Verts and Sanchez out very likely IMO.

£26m

£720, 000 :rolleyes:

I really like the idea of Kim Obv I've only seen YouTube clips so I accept it's incredibly hard to know how he'd do but he's big, strong, quick, a good passer off both feet, good on the ball and said himself enjoys the physicality and puts himself about.

sounds perfect.

I counted 2 mistakes in the entire game. Tried to play Antonio offside for the third goal. Other mistake was standing off Soucek in the box in the first half, allowing him to get a strike on goal.

Zonal marking for the first goal. Norwich lose the first header on the near post (Vranjic). Lose the first header, and a defence is in big trouble.

I put the final goal down to a disgraceful defensive effort by their midfield. Klose makes a poor attempt to stop the cross, and Godfrey is worried about all the West Ham bodies who flooded the box. I think Aarons could have been more alert.

It's always hard to judge defenders, especially centre backs, in struggling teams and I do think Godfrey has many good traits that could make him a potentially good centre half in future for a bigger club than Norwich - but he's 22 years old and I genuinely think we'd be best off just developing Tanganga.

£15m release clause, sign him back for £7.5m, get Kim Min-Jae in for £13m as touted, flog Foyth and Jack Clarke and instantly we have more quality we can utilise for a breakeven number.

I reckon we could sell Lamela for the same fee we could get Edwards back for.

I just don't think Edwards would come back, even if he had the opportunity. I think he probably knows his talent and that he could probably get a better move to a team that would probably start him a lot more and one that hadn't got rid of him for nothing previously.

I still have high hopes for Sessengon , i just hope Jose does as well and gives him a chance to show what he can do!

Injuries, playing under 5 different managers, two different clubs and playing in 3 different positions all within 16 months probably hasn't helped his development at all.

Just turned 20, would be silly to write him off.

It's always hard to judge defenders, especially centre backs, in struggling teams and I do think Godfrey has many good traits that could make him a potentially good centre half in future for a bigger club than Norwich - but he's 22 years old and I genuinely think we'd be best off just developing Tanganga.
I am not saying I think we should buy him (I'd imagine the HG "tax" would be severe) but he has qualities I like, and if he ends up at RBL or Dortmund (or even a Man City one day), I'll be very interested to see how he does.

Anyone been following Jack Clarke?

Played 19 minutes out of a possible 2,340 at Leeds in his first loan of the season.

Played 139 minutes of a possible 1,440 for QPR in his second loan.

We haven't dealt with this one well at all - some say he hasn't really been the same since he had his seizure last season. Some say the whole signing was so that Poch could just give his mate Bielsa some money. Some say Pochettino didn't even want Clarke.

Next season will be telling. Jose gets to have a look at him. But I think it's likely we'll try and loan him out again and hope he does well enough that the particular loan club end up buying him and we cut our losses. I doubt we'll ever be able to get the same amount for him, especially if he doesn't develop how we'd like.

This isn't like Sessegnon underperforming, because at least we know Sessegnon can at least perform consistently at Championship level if we do try and sell in future.

Last edited:
Played 19 minutes out of a possible 2,340 at Leeds in his first loan of the season.

Played 139 minutes of a possible 1,440 for QPR in his second loan.

We haven't dealt with this one well at all - some say he hasn't really been the same since he had his seizure last season. Some say the whole signing was so that Poch could just give his mate Bielsa some money. Some say Pochettino didn't even want Clarke.

Next season will be telling. Jose gets to have a look at him. But I think it's likely we'll try and loan him out again and hope he does well enough that the particular loan club end up buying him and we cut our losses. I doubt we'll ever be able to get the same amount for him, especially if he doesn't develop how we'd like.

This isn't like Sessegnon underperforming, because at least we know Sessegnon can at least perform consistently at Championship level if we do try and sell in future.
Clarke may have been a signing just to sign someone. What did we pay for him, like 10 mil?

Clarke may have been a signing just to sign someone. What did we pay for him, like 10 mil?

We were linked for a while though.

There was a list of players "Spurs wanted to sign" that came out in May last year.

That list was:

Sessegnon
Clarke
Ndombele
Lo Celso

By the end of the transfer window in August - we signed all 4 of them.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a Levy signing, seeing a young English player plying his trade in a top Championship side and thought Pochettino could potentially develop him into a better player.

I think Clarke has some good traits. He's deceptively quick, got a good physique that with a bit more muscle could see him power himself through players out wide but I question whether he has that drive to be any better than a professional footballer who earns money.

The fact he couldn't get a start for the club that sold him (where he got starts last season) was baffling. The fact a struggling Championship side who WANTED him on loan can barely afford him a start is telling.

There's talent there.

But something is stopping teams from giving him games. Whether that's worries over his health after the seizure he had. Perhaps he doesn't train as hard because he feels he's better than QPR? Who knows? I remember a few Leeds fans weren't happy with him during the loan earlier in the season as if he felt a bit big time signing for Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom