Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So all the other trophies they’ve won are irrelevant? We made the final last year - does it mean we’re better than them? It’s about sustained success. They’ve won 2 of the last 3 PLs. We last won it 60 years ago.
Apparently the FA Cups and Carabous are irrelevant. Or is that only for spurs, can’t quite remember the ever changing flip flop views of TFC....

And I didn’t ask about the PL.
I asked why the theory isn’t working in the CL?

Is it a domestic only theory?

Apparently the FA Cups and Carabous are irrelevant. Or is that only for spurs, can’t quite remember the ever changing flip flop views of TFC....

And I didn’t ask about the PL.
I asked why the theory isn’t working in the CL?

Is it a domestic only theory?
Not sure who deemed what irrelevant but the correlation of their success following MAJOR investment is undeniable

What City have to do with us is beyond me. Point is - they’ve won 15 major trophies since major investment came in inclusion 4 PLs. In the same period we’ve won fuck all. Guess who won
What City have to do with us?
I thought we needed to spend like the big clubs?

Is it only ok to mention City when they win something?

Last edited:
Not sure who deemed what irrelevant but the correlation of their success following MAJOR investment is undeniable
Not in Europe
Can you explain why they are massively failing and how little old Spurs have been better than them in the CL?
And how we knocked them out without Kane.

Think carefully now because by saying “we had Poch” only backs my argument, that money isnt always the answer.

So money wasn’t the answer?

Cheers
The answer to why they haven't reached a semi final? Not in this case. They consistently qualify for this competition and win trophies by spending money. I would also direct you to 13 time winners Real Madrid who splash the cash.

The truth of it is, we are in real trouble now because we have a big rebuilding job to do, in order to try and get back into the top 4 and we have to sell the likes of Aurier for 22million and Sissoko for 18 million to fund some transfers.

Ahhhh we’ve gone from spend big to consistently win the biggest honours to consistently compete for them.
We consistently competed for the CL for 4 years in a row.
Longer than Liverpool recently actually.

And how’s that going for city in the CL?
You know theres “only two trophies worth winning” and they’ve spent billions and only won one.
In fact they lost that one to a team with 9M Hull LB, an academy RB, a 30M Basle striker, a 34M Southampton AM, a 20M Sunderland DM and a 12M Aston Villa CM who was used as a LB for a while.

But don’t tell me, they won it all because VVD cost 75M
There is a difference between participating and competing.

Not all 32 clubs compete to win the CL, for 26/27 teams, including Spurs, It's about how far they can go in the competition.

Can you just explain what in your view, is going wrong for City in Europe.
It’s not a trap.

I want to know why you feel spending billions hasn’t worked consistently in the CL.
I don’t know and I don’t care (most likely combo of poor tactics and lack of belief) but I would LOVE to be in their position trying every season to win it

Can you just explain what in your view, is going wrong for City in Europe.
It’s not a trap.

I want to know why you feel spending billions hasn’t worked consistently in the CL.

In my view, a big expensive squad of superstars allows you play concistently. So, in a league situation you can always field a quality team over the duration of the campaign and rarely have a dip in form.

In a elite cup competition the dynamic changes. It is down the the performance on the night and mistakes can be fatal (see Sterling's open goal miss).

We've seen teams with the so called worlds best in De Bryne, Messi, Ronaldo, Hazard, Bale all eliminated in embarrassing fashion in this years champions league.

Spending money on the best players of course helps, but discipline, desire and concistency can take you just as far.

I would have thought Lewis from Norwich is a much better option to replace Chillwell. Will be the same price as Castagne and Lewis is a natural left footer too.

Yeah good point. But with Norwich likely to lose Aarons I would be surprised if they willingly let both fullbacks leave. Hence why they priced Lewis out of a move to Liverpool.

The answer to why they haven't reached a semi final? Not in this case. They consistently qualify for this competition and win trophies by spending money. I would also direct you to 13 time winners Real Madrid who splash the cash.

The truth of it is, we are in real trouble now because we have a big rebuilding job to do, in order to try and get back into the top 4 and we have to sell the likes of Aurier for 22million and Sissoko for 18 million to fund some transfers.
Why hasn’t spending billions stopped City massively failing in the CL for over a decade?

Still waiting for an answer to that one specific question

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom