Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yep I'm not sure either.

Just found this;

"To many it seems like the loneliest job in football - the third-choice goalkeeper who never plays.

They train with the first team and travel to matches, knowing they will only play in the event of an injury crisis."

I think that is the case for a player like Green or Vorm who are the 3rd choice keeper and can't play for the U-23's. What I am not clear is if every teams has a designated 3rd string keeper that isn't part of the U-23's or if some use their 3rd string keeper as their 3rd. I will say I can't think of a single 3rd string keeper for another club.

Either way not thanks to Joe Hart whether we use Whiteman as the 3rd stringer or not.

Oh Mamma, has this thread been busy since my last post.

People now saying City's defeat to Lyon proves that spending money has no impact on success

:freund:

Only, you know, they've won like Fifteen (15) trophies since our last effort?

giphy.gif

According to Di Marzio, Leicester and PSG are in for Castagne.

By the way, why would Leicester want a new RB? They´ve got one of the best in the Premier League, and also a very good young prospect in James Justin.

Is Pereira leaving?

According to Di Marzio, Leicester and PSG are in for Castagne.

By the way, why would Leicester want a new RB? They´ve got one of the best in the Premier League, and also a very good young prospect in James Justin.

Is Pereira leaving?

Maybe they want him to play LB for them as it seems they will lose Chillwell to Chelsea.

Or more likely they are an easy name to throw in to create a few more clicks.

But hopefully Pereira is leaving...... to us.

Even if Ben Chillwell moves to Chelsea and Leicester want Castagne to play as their new LB - which would be a bit strange, if you ask me -, it wouldn´t be the first time Leicester is being linked with a new RB by a serious journalist. For example, Leicester is also mentioned as a club very interested in Zeki Çelik.

One can dream...

We should see if VDV is interested in making a return a la Robben. He looks to be in similar shape to when he actually played for us
idxteharstg51.jpg

(photo credit COYS on reddit)

I think is adequate at best as a back-up.

I think we saw last year he is a poor option if needed for an extended period and likewise not an option at all to take over for Lloris when he is done, which I think is likely 2 years from now.

With our HG issues I think that back-up keeper is a spot that is easily used to fill those roles and that we can likely get a HG player that is at least as good as Gazzaniga. So I would prefer us getting a HG player in that spot if we don't have a guy that has the potential to be our next starter.

I think that Alfie Whiteman is good enough to fill the 3rd spot, I guess it is a risk if Lloris goes down early in the season that we would need to wait until the Winter break to get in a replacement but goalie seems to be an easy enough position to get a guy in the winter if we need someone to fill in for a Lloris injury. I mean Vorm was experienced but pretty crap for us as a 3rd stringer. I don't think we are bringing anyone in to be the 3rd guy that will be much better than Whiteman. But I am not sure if that works with his presumed role with the U-23's as I don't follow that too much so maybe Whiteman isn't even an option.

Spurs have 5 GK's in the development squad (ie over 18 years old) of which Brandon Austiin will probably go out on loan again, so Whiteman plus 3 spare is plenty to staff u23 games and we could easily sell another and not be affected.

Whiteman didnt play many games for u23's last season and no reason to expect he would do in 2020/21 except to get a bit of match practice in. So if JM wanted him to be 3rd GK I see no reason why he couldn't do that role playing a couple of u23 matches now and again for match practice if appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom