Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll suck myself off.
giphy.gif

No. He’s awful.
Fair enough.

It was just a thought, obviously (hopefully) a 3rd choice keeper would only play in an extreme emergency. Which leaves any up and coming 'keeper we have free to play in the U23s or go on loan to get experience.

I'm assuming that 3rd choice keeper travels with the squad in case of injury in the warm up etc. ?

I'm going to throw a name in from left field.

Joe Hart as back up/3rd choice keeper ?
HG and free.

With Lloris' age I think we need a back-up that can play in a lot (if not all) Cup/Europa games. Hart sucks now and I wouldn't trust him in many of those games past the very early stages.

I think there are enough younger English keepers or even veteran English keepers that we could get for cheap enough that they would be better options even if they cost rather than Hart being free.

I think ideally we would bring in a guy that at least has a chance at taking over for Lloris in a year or two. Not sure if a HG player would fit that with Ramsdale going to Sheffield but that would be ideal in my view.

Joe Hart has been done for years. No one wants him for a reason.

Shame really. Reminds me a little of Robbo where at one point he really was one of the best. Anyone remember that opening day home match against City that ended 0-0 because he pulled a bunch of worldies out of the bag.

With Lloris' age I think we need a back-up that can play in a lot (if not all) Cup/Europa games. Hart sucks now and I wouldn't trust him in many of those games past the very early stages.

I think there are enough younger English keepers or even veteran English keepers that we could get for cheap enough that they would be better options even if they cost rather than Hart being free.

I think ideally we would bring in a guy that at least has a chance at taking over for Lloris in a year or two. Not sure if a HG player would fit that with Ramsdale going to Sheffield but that would be ideal in my view.
So I take it you don't think that Gazza is good enough for the number 2 keeper ?
I think he is (just) and can't see him being shipped out.
With Vorm gone we need a number 3. Someone who never plays except in exceptional circumstances.

Agree 100% with your last paragraph.

Fair enough.

It was just a thought, obviously (hopefully) a 3rd choice keeper would only play in an extreme emergency. Which leaves any up and coming 'keeper we have free to play in the U23s or go on loan to get experience.

I'm assuming that 3rd choice keeper travels with the squad in case of injury in the warm up etc. ?
Unless the manager thinks "fuck it, he hasn't played in 18 months, lets throw him into the only competition we can win and hope he doesn't fuck up". I mean, that would never happen

ShutUpPatrik ShutUpPatrik is Swedish isn't he?

Over to you..
He's good IMO. 26 years old. Mobile, able to operate both as a striker, a second striker (Müller role) and one the wing. About the same size as Kane. 13 goals in the Bundesliga this season (7 in the previous one) and carried our goal scoring in the Nations League and Euro qualifiers.

He would be a good option to Wilson IMO. But Wilson is probably more of a traditional 9 whilst Quaison is more versatile.

This. I dont think Gazzaniga is good enough, certainly never to be a first choice. Lloris was great after lockdown but has been on and off for a couple of years now. Both only have 2 years left on their contracts. Henderson would be ideal but United arent likely to sell, Ramsdale at 22 could cover Lloris well for a couple of years before hopefully stepping up to first choice, i'd even take Ben Foster as a more short term option. All 3 homegrown and all better than Gazzaniga.

So I take it you don't think that Gazza is good enough for the number 2 keeper ?
I think he is (just) and can't see him being shipped out.
With Vorm gone we need a number 3. Someone who never plays except in exceptional circumstances.

Agree 100% with your last paragraph.

I think is adequate at best as a back-up.

I think we saw last year he is a poor option if needed for an extended period and likewise not an option at all to take over for Lloris when he is done, which I think is likely 2 years from now.

With our HG issues I think that back-up keeper is a spot that is easily used to fill those roles and that we can likely get a HG player that is at least as good as Gazzaniga. So I would prefer us getting a HG player in that spot if we don't have a guy that has the potential to be our next starter.

I think that Alfie Whiteman is good enough to fill the 3rd spot, I guess it is a risk if Lloris goes down early in the season that we would need to wait until the Winter break to get in a replacement but goalie seems to be an easy enough position to get a guy in the winter if we need someone to fill in for a Lloris injury. I mean Vorm was experienced but pretty crap for us as a 3rd stringer. I don't think we are bringing anyone in to be the 3rd guy that will be much better than Whiteman. But I am not sure if that works with his presumed role with the U-23's as I don't follow that too much so maybe Whiteman isn't even an option.

I think is adequate at best as a back-up.

I think we saw last year he is a poor option if needed for an extended period and likewise not an option at all to take over for Lloris when he is done, which I think is likely 2 years from now.

With our HG issues I think that back-up keeper is a spot that is easily used to fill those roles and that we can likely get a HG player that is at least as good as Gazzaniga. So I would prefer us getting a HG player in that spot if we don't have a guy that has the potential to be our next starter.

I think that Alfie Whiteman is good enough to fill the 3rd spot, I guess it is a risk if Lloris goes down early in the season that we would need to wait until the Winter break to get in a replacement but goalie seems to be an easy enough position to get a guy in the winter if we need someone to fill in for a Lloris injury. I mean Vorm was experienced but pretty crap for us as a 3rd stringer. I don't think we are bringing anyone in to be the 3rd guy that will be much better than Whiteman. But I am not sure if that works with his presumed role with the U-23's as I don't follow that too much so maybe Whiteman isn't even an option.
Don't disagree with any of that, however;
Would Whiteman have to travel with the first team squad, in case of injury ?
If so would this rule him out of U23 games ?
If it does I would be against it, young lads need to play to improve and it could hamper his development.

Don't disagree with any of that, however;
Would Whiteman have to travel with the first team squad, in case of injury ?
If so would this rule him out of U23 games ?
If it does I would be against it, young lads need to play to improve and it could hamper his development.

I doubt he would travel with the 1st team squad if both goalies were healthy. Teams rarely dress 2 back-up goalies.

I guess you could be concerned that a goalie could get hurt in warm-up, but that seems to happen so rarely that bringing along a 3rd stringer to sit in the stands seems unnecessary.

I doubt he would travel with the 1st team squad if both goalies were healthy. Teams rarely dress 2 back-up goalies.

I guess you could be concerned that a goalie could get hurt in warm-up, but that seems to happen so rarely that bringing along a 3rd stringer to sit in the stands seems unnecessary.
Yep I'm not sure either.

Just found this;

"To many it seems like the loneliest job in football - the third-choice goalkeeper who never plays.

They train with the first team and travel to matches, knowing they will only play in the event of an injury crisis."

Back
Top Bottom