Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In my view, a big expensive squad of superstars allows you play concistently. So, in a league situation you can always field a quality team over the duration of the campaign and rarely have a dip in form.

In a elite cup competition the dynamic changes. It is down the the performance on the night and mistakes can be fatal (see Sterling's open goal miss).

We've seen teams with the so called worlds best in De Bryne, Messi, Ronaldo, Hazard, Bale all eliminated in embarrassing fashion in this years champions league.

Spending money on the best players of course helps, but discipline, desire and concistency can take you just as far.
A good point, and one for me flies in the face of just spending huge amounts.
I don’t know and I don’t care (most likely combo of poor tactics and lack of belief) but I would LOVE to be in their position trying every season to win it
So again, spending billions hasn’t stopped them failing in Europe.
Thanks

And we was in their position trying every season to win it, and actually doing a better job of it than them.
Now we are in transition and will have to settle for an EL run.
I’m ok with that.

They can fail again next year with their 40M Bournemouth CB. Because who buys players from lower league south coast clubs eh...?

Last edited:
All gone a bit quiet on any transfers being remotely close.

Let’s hope there are a few we haven’t heard about that will come out of nowhere.
It does have that familar feel of absolutely nothing happenning. Problem is we need players in the next week or two to bed in before our horrendous fixture schedule mid September to mid October. I have pretty much zero confidence we'll add anyone before the season starts, certainly no one that will make a major difference.

There is a difference between participating and competing.

Not all 32 clubs compete to win the CL, for 26/27 teams, including Spurs, It's about how far they can go in the competition.
So we didn’t compete by knocking them out and reaching the final?
If they are spending billions to compete, then their failing is even greater.

Can you explain why it’s not working for them in Europe.
They didn’t spend billions to take part, they have tried to win it every season and made it out of the groups about twice.
1/4 finals the furthest they have come.

Why is the theory not working for them in Europe, can you just answer in your opinion why spending so much on players hasn’t worked?

So again, spending billions hasn’t stopped them failing in Europe.
Thanks
Hahaha - complete non point. I’d love to fail like this every season. You’ve chosen an investment company over the club - astonishing since you wanted Levy out over Stratford

I think we will get top 4 comfortably next season.

Jose gets teams going whenever the whole squad pull in the same direction, which they seem to be.

Regardless of what some people think we have a very capable squad, albeit some players in rotten form or condition (alli, ndombele). if we can get them both playing at the level they should be are game changers.

Our results form was pretty good when Jose 1st arrived and after restart.

We have 2 of the best forwards around. We will score goals. Losing both to injury did affect us last year no doubt.

2 or 3 smart transfers in to help balance the squad depending on who leaves and I think we ready to go. COYS!!

Why is Europe the only criteria all of a sudden ? What about the 4 PL titles? Or 11 other domestic trophies?
It’s not the only criteria.
Again, the domestics have been dismissed by the money brigade on here, so why should they count for City.
Also, if you think they spent 2bn to win some Carabous I have to laugh my head off.

They have done ok for the money spent, but let’s be honest, they keep losing the titles to teams who spend a fraction of what they have.
Liverpool, Leicester, even Chelsea have reigned it in over the last years.

4 titles and they won the lottery in what? 2006?

So many people on here said they’d rather win the CL than PL, and you keep saying they are trying to win it every year.

Don’t you need to at least make a semi final first for that?
They arent even competing, just making up the numbers like Zurich Grasshopers

Why hasn’t spending billions stopped City massively failing in the CL for over a decade?

Still waiting for an answer to that one specific question
I think you've been told, players and manager didnt do it right when it mattered Sterling missed a sitter yesterday Edson dropped a clanger.

What's your point in all this anyway?

And we aren’t in Stratford, we are at a billion pound stadium on the same site as WHL

But that’s not investment.
Should have bought Mahrez for 60M.
So you rather see us grow our assets and their investment and salaries than win trophies - ok, at least now I know where you stand. Thanks for clarifying, mate. After all these years you were the last cunt I expected to say that ...

Hmm no we aren’t buying tactics. We are paying a world class manager to manage the team....but I’m not talking about Spurs here.

Why hasn’t money bought City tactical knowledge in Europe?
A world class manager who is good at using tactics to win and like I said we are paying him 15 million to do it. if money doesn't make a difference why didn't we go after a much cheaper manager?

Already told you.

Back
Top Bottom