Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

We’re doing a Leeds.

Snoop Dogg Dancing GIF by Romy

How I see this is that Kounde is going to wait until late august. By then he will know whether Barca/Real can afford him or not. If not then he may contemplate going to us.

Is it worth waiting until late August to do it? Maybe. Maybe if we already have 1 good CB then we can wait until late August . If he still doesn't want to come by then we could have a last minute deadline day chase for another CB to replace you'd assume Sanchez.

There's a good reason why Man City - and other "big" clubs - are after Kane rather than Vlahovic. You may be right that it wouldn't matter whether Kane or Vlahovic would spearhead Spurs' attack next season as then, of course, you would be right.
But, if we could predict that (i.e. that Vlahovic would have the same contribution as Kane coming season) then he would have been snapped up by Man City or Chelski or Man U anyway.
With Kane one is guaranteed 30+ goals in all competitions.
I'm not getting this "replace Kane with someone who'll match his numbers" argument, it's limited thinking to me.
We don't actually need a like for like replacement in one player. Kane puts up big numbers by himself, that's a given, but if we were to get someone like Vlahovic, plus another forward, they then share that load between them over the course of a season.

If we were to get a couple who weighed in with 15-20 a season each, we actually either match or increase the goal return over the course of a season, with the added bonus that neither are burnt out by playing every single game available when they are fit.

Of course, this presupposes that we would get the sort of money for Kane that is being bandied about, and that these 2 players could return those numbers, but that's the gamble any team takes when they bring in new players.

My personal opinion is that Kane is not going, City won't pay the money we will demand, so I think it's moot anyway.

To understand their stance, you need to understand the mentality of their owners. I lived in Qatar for 2 years and worked for a company owned by one of the Sheikhs over there. When it comes to personal belongings etc, money is irrelevant to them. However, when it comes to business, it's a game to them that they absolutely must win. They could buy Kane three times over if they treated him as a trinket, but the have to do business to get him, and they can be the most hard nosed bastards on earth when it comes to this. I've seen Arab negotiators screw a deal down to the last Riyal, then spend an absolute fortune on buying presents for the people they've just spent days brow beating into submission. It's never about the money, it's about coming on top in a deal. If they don't see an avenue whereby they can get the absolute best of a deal, they'll walk away, simple as that. Haggling to get the best deal is like a religion to them, but in this they really don't have any real leverage, Spurs do. This will be anathema to them so, they might well leave it until next Summer, when they have more leverage or, as I think is most likely, they'll move onto someone like Haaland. A few on here think they won't want to get into a bidding war but, in my experience, they'll salivate at the opportunity to get one over on all of the other clubs that will be vying for his signature. I reckon this is why Chelsea are contemplating paying twice as much for Haaland this year as opposed to the buy out clause next year, as City can match them for wages, whilst having as much, if not more, appeal where honours are concerned.

Prestige and "bragging rights" are what motivate the Sheikh, as money is largely irrelevant to him. He won't get that if he pays the asking price for Kane, as the bragging rights for the deal would all go to Levy, and that would infuriate the Sheikh.

Is Romero/Kounde actually a realsitic possibility

Wow. Paratici would be incredible if he pulled that off.
I think, having already sold Foyth and nearly Toby, we’d also have to sell Sanchez, Dier, and CCV to bring in both Romero and Kounde.

Nuno seems to want to play a back 4 with a defensive RB. Tanganga and Tomiyasu will both contend for that spot, but both can also play at CB (which would still give us 5 CB options in squad).

I think Kounde is unlikely as indications are he doesn’t want to come to Spurs without CL football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom