Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’ve stopped sulking. Lenglet would be an amazing signing. Elite player on the ball and that’s what Conte’s system requires. I honestly can’t imagine there’s a better centreback on the ball.

I think he’ll be amazing in a back 3.

I’ve stopped sulking. Lenglet would be an amazing signing. Elite player on the ball and that’s what Conte’s system requires. I honestly can’t imagine there’s a better centreback on the ball.

I think he’ll be amazing in a back 3.

Amazing might be a stretch .. it's a bit of a punt on a guy whose career has nosedived for years now + has found himself behind players like Garcia and Mingueza.

In a 3 with this manager it could work out really well, but there's a reason he's on loan and we're not even paying his full wages.

Amazing might be a stretch .. it's a bit of a punt on a guy whose career has nosedived for years now + has found himself behind players like Garcia and Mingueza.

In a 3 with this manager it could work out really well, but there's a reason he's on loan and we're not even paying his full wages.

That doesn't tally with what I've seen of him at FCB
Clearly he’s not rated by Xavi and he’s had a tough time.

But his stats are incredible. He is a lot better than Bastoni on almost every metric with the ball. He wins more tackles, especially against dribblers, makes more carries and passes … and his passes are progressive, medium to long range, and along the floor (not aerial balls)… his completion rate of progressive passes is the same as bastoni but at far higher volume. And he’s been playing in a back 4 rather than a 3 (like bastoni) so he’ll have even more possibility to be building play with us.

People are creaming over Bastoni, and he’d be a better signing because of his age… but reputation is a funny thing and I think Lenglet is being underrated.

This is a fantastic signing if it works.

Why would we go for Depay after he was no better at United than Bergwjin is at Spurs?
Few reasons -
- since then he has been scoring bags of goals for Lyon;
- he has developed and progressed, as he was promising youngster in ManU, even now he is 28...
- he also did well for poor Barca side, before Xavi came in and dropped him
- he would come cheap (18 mEUR) and would start off as 5th choice attacking player for us

Essentially question is - who would you prefer to be the 5th attacking player to use. Lucas Moura or Memphis Depay. I know I would try something new rather than proven lack of quality.

Clearly he’s not rated by Xavi and he’s had a tough time.

But his stats are incredible. He is a lot better than Bastoni on almost every metric with the ball. He wins more tackles, especially against dribblers, makes more carries and passes … and his passes are progressive, medium to long range, and along the floor (not aerial balls)… his completion rate of progressive passes is the same as bastoni but at far higher volume. And he’s been playing in a back 4 rather than a 3 (like bastoni) so he’ll have even more possibility to be building play with us.

People are creaming over Bastoni, and he’d be a better signing because of his age… but reputation is a funny thing and I think Lenglet is being underrated.

This is a fantastic signing if it works.

He wasn't rated before Xavi either. He's been not very good at Barcelona all round. And considering how much Xavi values ability on the ball, you'd think a ball playing centre back (the way you're describing him) would be a perfect fit.

Stats are highly misleading for defenders. They can look as silky as they like and do everything right but a couple of major errors a game costs the team, same with goalkeepers. Defenders who are prone to switching off and/or overplaying can be a liability.

It's possibly a fantastic signing, if Conte can revive him. Reputation isn't all that funny, players earn it via performances and Lenglet hasn't been earning it for a while now. He's being rated as what he is, a player who once looked really good and has fallen well off the radar. It's a punt.

Only option would be Emerson, 23 and national player (not sure)
season 2 time GIF by American Gods

Back
Top Bottom