Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wonder would Chelsea look at Pau Torres?

Torres was apparently quite keen on Barca when Kounde looked less likely but who knows.
The cunt is treating Spurs Lodge as an all inclusive spa getaway to be fair
I'd be surprised if Lengelt displaces Ben in the first 11 frankly.

Lenglet for me is cover.

if we go big on a Gvardiol/Ndivka/Torres - then maybe but I see Lenglet purely as left sided cover.
It’s not cover it’s competition. Competition pushes every player to be better or lose the spot. Even Kane, Son and Romero need to be pushed. Cover is a backwards concept.

Davies and Lenglet will compete to be the first choice. That will improve them and as a result the team. Same for every other position

Used to play on a Sunday morning, beer league team with a 38 year old who had played a couple of seasons at York City. He was slow as fuck but consistently the best player on the pitch by a country mile. He saw a pass seconds ahead of everyone else and was able to let the ball do the work unlike pretty much everyone else on the pitch.

I played against the late Bob Doyle who played for Posh (Alan Ball brought him for Blackpool i think) from Posh for a then Posh record 110K in the mid-seventies.

Many years later Bob was well past his best as a midfielder, and i was a quick left winger and at one point I was watched by Noel Cantwell and John Barnwell ( I never made it).

Bob was up my arse for the whole game, and as quick as I was he'd cut off my channels, would not let me turn with the ball and had me in his pocket all game.

Pro's know the game and although their bodies can't do what they once could, they never lose their experience, positional play and ability to kick you where it hurts.

I don't think I got more than a dozen touches all game.

Humbling experience.

I’ll take Sammy, Arcspace and even Ol’ Gibbsy back if it means I never have to read anything from your miserable hands again.

:lucasl:
friday ice GIF

Igula's gone already?

For 10 glorious hours the entire forum was united against a single enemy. TW ratings, vaccines, net spend, none of it mattered.

As soon as he was gone, faction lines were renewed and the infighting began again.

This forum is epic!
:sonlol:

Keep:

Kane / Rich
Son / Rich / Gil ?
Kulu / Lucas / Gil ?

Yves / Skipp / Sarr ?
Bentancur / PEH / Sarr ?

Perisic / Sess / Doherty
Emerson / Spence / Doherty

Davies / Lenglet
Dier / Rodon ?
Romero / Sanchez

Sell:
Lo Celso
Ndombele
Winks
Reguilon
Rodon ?

Loan:
Gil ?
Sarr ?

Replacement needed positions for Gil/Sarr/Rodon:
LW/RW
CM
CCB

Conclusion:

From a purely footballing perspective this window should already be considered a huge success. The remainder of the work that needs to be done is selling or loaning out all the deadwood, as well as resolving the issues of 6th attacker, 5th central midfielder, and 2nd CCB. I think we all agree Gil, Sarr and Rodon *could* do a job in these roles, but that their development might be better served by playing on loan elsewhere this season. If they are loaned however, based on Conte's preferences, it does put the club in a position of needing to buy/loan to replace them.

Its hard to envision a scenario in which the club gets less than an A- from me. If they move out most of the deadwood, A. If all of the deadwood- A+.

Not sure why the incomings seem to be the entire focus of rating the window: I think part of it will also come down to how successfully we shift Winks, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Reguilon, Tanganga, and potentially Emerson.

house-idk.gif
Only because if nothing else happened, regardless of the financial particulars, we'd still be able to field a better squad than we did before the window.

If being judged by some kind of long term financial health/opportunity cost guidelines, it gets a lot more subjective and difficult to assess. Point of course taken that finances are important though.

Bissouma will be the signing of the window for us. I think he’s gone under the radar a bit but he’s a fantastic player.
Perisic and Bisosuma both will shock the league next season, not only because they're very very good but because they're such a big upgrade on what had in those positions before.

Good post that I'm surprised more Spurs fans on a wider scale don't agree with.

The reality is, if say Woolwich had the window we've had, would we be worried? I certainly wouldn't.

It's been a decent window with some solid signings, but I must say all with all the pre window talk of a warchest and really going out and backing Conte, im a little bit dissapointed we havent gone out and tried to sign players of a slightly higher quality.

Context is extremely important here, if they had Conte and they bought in the players we have I'd be shit scared, the reality is they don't, they still have a rookie manager who's learning on the job and winging it, our manager knows what it takes to win this league whilst their manager still needs to learn how not to bottle it when it comes to the crunch, levels.

Seems like people aren't rating our window because we haven't brought stars or household names but let me remind you who Liverpool bought in under Klopp before they started picking up trophies:

Robertson from relegated Hull, Wijnaldum from relegated Newcastle, Mane and Van Dijk from Southampton, Trent from the Academy, Salah from Roma, Matip from Shalke etc...(Come on let be real...Who would have said Trent, Robertson and Matip would be 3 of the best players in the league in their positions when they signed them?)

I don't see any stars there, they improved due to elite coaching from Klopp and fitting into that Liverpool side perfectly...I suspect that's the plan for these players, and we've seen what Conte can do when he has his players.

I just think that too many people are blinded by glitz and glamorous names when it comes to the transfer window, we've seen it time and time again when teams go out and buy established stars that don't necessarily fit the profile of their teams, look at Utd and PSG last season for example and we already have our 'stars' in Kane and Son regardless of that anyway.

The most important thing is that the gaffer is happy, we've backed him with who he wanted and we've got them in early, sure would have been great to get a Bastoni or a Gvardiol in but I don't think they're such a big miss that everyone likes to go about, they not be around that long themselves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom