Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure why the incomings seem to be the entire focus of rating the window: I think part of it will also come down to how successfully we shift Winks, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Reguilon, Tanganga, and potentially Emerson.

house-idk.gif
Only if you care about net spend...

From a purely footballing PoV it doesn't matter one bit, they will simply not be registered for the squad unless Conte sees a way back in for any of them (possible with Reg/Winks maybe) and they will train with the development squad.

From a financial PoV, it'd be an issue if we were about to do a Barca, however think what you like about him, but I'm certain that no matter what, Levy wouldn't have put the club at any financial risk, so don't think there's any danger of that.

The only reason getting rid of deadwood was ever a big deal to us was because we seemed to have a determined philosophy at the club of not signing anyone until space had been made by a sale. That approach has now been changed, so not shifting anyone doesn't seem to have had a negative impact on getting in players that the manager wants.

As such, for me, not shifting the players mentioned doesn't take away from the window, be it a 6/10, 7/10, 8/10 or whatever. Ultimately all that matters is that Conte has the 25 man squad that he wants to have come September.

I also think, come crunch time, they will all be shifted one way or another, even if it is only loan deals on the final day, and we can revisit the problem at a later date.

At least PSG will be well-covered at right-back this season it seems, after signing Mukiele...

Context is extremely important here, if they had Conte and they bought in the players we have I'd be shit scared, the reality is they don't, they still have a rookie manager who's learning on the job and winging it, our manager knows what it takes to win this league whilst their manager still needs to learn how not to bottle it when it comes to the crunch, levels.

Seems like people aren't rating our window because we haven't brought stars or household names but let me remind you who Liverpool bought in under Klopp before they started picking up trophies:

Robertson from relegated Hull, Wijnaldum from relegated Newcastle, Mane and Van Dijk from Southampton, Trent from the Academy, Salah from Roma, Matip from Shalke etc...(Come on let be real...Who would have said Trent, Robertson and Matip would be 3 of the best players in the league in their positions when they signed them?)

I don't see any stars there, they improved due to elite coaching from Klopp and fitting into that Liverpool side perfectly...I suspect that's the plan for these players, and we've seen what Conte can do when he has his players.

I just think that too many people are blinded by glitz and glamorous names when it comes to the transfer window, we've seen it time and time again when teams go out and buy established stars that don't necessarily fit the profile of their teams, look at Utd and PSG last season for example and we already have our 'stars' in Kane and Son regardless of that anyway.

The most important thing is that the gaffer is happy, we've backed him with who he wanted and we've got them in early, sure would have been great to get a Bastoni or a Gvardiol in but I don't think they're such a big miss that everyone likes to go about, they not be around that long themselves.
Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Great post and spot on!

I still don't think our business is done. I believe there are key players that other teams are trying to hold on to but, maybe forced to sell nearer to the window closing. So our main business is done and those players are already integrating but one or two might come in later.

Some transfers are complicated and need other things to happen before we can sign a player

It’s not cover it’s competition. Competition pushes every player to be better or lose the spot. Even Kane, Son and Romero need to be pushed. Cover is a backwards concept.

Davies and Lenglet will compete to be the first choice. That will improve them and as a result the team. Same for every other position
Excited Celebration GIF by Slanted Studios

I played against the late Bob Doyle who played for Posh (Alan Ball brought him for Blackpool i think) from Posh for a then Posh record 110K in the mid-seventies.

Many years later Bob was well past his best as a midfielder, and i was a quick left winger and at one point I was watched by Noel Cantwell and John Barnwell ( I never made it).

Bob was up my arse for the whole game, and as quick as I was he'd cut off my channels, would not let me turn with the ball and had me in his pocket all game.

Pro's know the game and although their bodies can't do what they once could, they never lose their experience, positional play and ability to kick you where it hurts.

I don't think I got more than a dozen touches all game.

Humbling experience.
Absolutely.

I played against a former Spurs CH once, can't remember his name at this moment but his nickname was "Spider," as he was tall and gangling. He was also a rather poor defender for us.

He was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch that day.

Having said that, I also played with Ian Dowie, before he turned professional. He was just a physical lump with very little technical ability. I can honestly say that I used to have him in my pocket during training matches.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that getting to play and train at the highest level can elevate your game above those who don't get that kind of training, even if those other players were more technically gifted but didn't get the opportunity.

I also played against Matt LeTissier. That guy made me look like I'd never kicked a ball in my life, and that was when he was a kid on Southampton's books.

Edit: It was John Lacy.

Goal reporting if Chelsea don’t get Kounde they’ll look to the following defenders

Pau torres
Gvardiol
Skriniar
Upamecano
Pavard

I'm not agreeing with Igula re these particular players per se, but I do not agree with your last sentence. Certainly not on pure technique or technical ability. The whole dedication, physical thing is a different matter but technically fucking loads of blokes earn money who have inferior technical ability than some who don't.
Yhepp, there’s Sunday league players who are every bit as good technically and some even better technically than players playing in the prem.

This is from a week ago, a top Sunday league team playing an 8a side match against a team made up of pro ballers like Iwobi, Glenn Kamara, Calvin Bassey whos just moved for 20 mil to ajax, Joe Aribo whos just moved to Southampton amongst others. The sunday league team only lost 4-3 and a few of them looked just as good with the ball at their feet as the pros.

A good window so far and by recent standards unbelievable.
Not necessarily super exciting but pretty solid and overall sensible . Remarkable that City/,Chavs seem to pay less for quality but maybe it's down to inflated wages.
7:5 .
I feel we are lacking that creative element that would make it a 9.
Hopefully the icing on the cake will arrive before the season starts.

Same with Skipp and Romero tbh. Both missed half the season with injuries. Skipp was decisive in scraping togther a decent haul of points under Nuno. Lots to get excited about.

Tbh, this is what it's about, not waiting for the final day of the transfer window for some crap signings, your star player doing a runner, dreading the thought of existing players etc.
Yeah - fully fit and focused Kane too. Amazing to think we had that boring, dour mute for over a 1/4 of the season and still finished fourth. Remarkable

If we win our first two games, we will be in a great position. That Chelsea game is so pivotal - arguably for both clubs

Yhepp, there’s Sunday league players who are every bit as good technically and some even better technically than players playing in the prem.

This is from a week ago, a top Sunday league team playing an 8a side match against a team made up of pro ballers like Iwobi, Glenn Kamara, Calvin Bassey whos just moved for 20 mil to ajax, Joe Aribo whos just moved to Southampton amongst others. The sunday league team only lost 4-3 and a few of them looked just as good with the ball at their feet as the pros.

That Sunday team are not really a Sunday team, they won the FA Sunday cup and are a standout side full of excellent semi pro’s. I get your point tho - I’ve played in the FA Sunday national cup and some of the players are superb.

Any Sunday side that plays on n the national cup would put 10 past 97% of other Sunday teams

Yeah, I knew a guy that played for the local amateur league team, he was the most technical player I've ever seen in my life, he was at least ten levels above everyone else on the pitch.

We played an Irish Cup match against Glenavon reserves, a team that included a couple of future internationals, one of them was Gerry Taggart who ended up in the PL....we were like 6 divisions below them and they only beat us in a penalty shoot-out....But he played big Gerry off the fucking park that day, he didn't know whether he was coming or going,

Glenavon offered him a chance of signing, but he told them to fuck off, he liked doing his own thing and didn't want some cunt telling him how to play, I think were his exact words.

Back
Top Bottom