Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Context is extremely important here, if they had Conte and they bought in the players we have I'd be shit scared, the reality is they don't, they still have a rookie manager who's learning on the job and winging it, our manager knows what it takes to win this league whilst their manager still needs to learn how not to bottle it when it comes to the crunch, levels.

Seems like people aren't rating our window because we haven't brought stars or household names but let me remind you who Liverpool bought in under Klopp before they started picking up trophies:

Robertson from relegated Hull, Wijnaldum from relegated Newcastle, Mane and Van Dijk from Southampton, Trent from the Academy, Salah from Roma, Matip from Shalke etc...(Come on let be real...Who would have said Trent, Robertson and Matip would be 3 of the best players in the league in their positions when they signed them?)

I don't see any stars there, they improved due to elite coaching from Klopp and fitting into that Liverpool side perfectly...I suspect that's the plan for these players, and we've seen what Conte can do when he has his players.

I just think that too many people are blinded by glitz and glamorous names when it comes to the transfer window, we've seen it time and time again when teams go out and buy established stars that don't necessarily fit the profile of their teams, look at Utd and PSG last season for example and we already have our 'stars' in Kane and Son regardless of that anyway.

The most important thing is that the gaffer is happy, we've backed him with who he wanted and we've got them in early, sure would have been great to get a Bastoni or a Gvardiol in but I don't think they're such a big miss that everyone likes to go about, they not be around that long themselves.
You make some fair points, but I’d also say the comparison with Liverpool and Klopp doesn’t really stack up.

First off, from the players you talk about that they signed “before they started winning trophies” van Dijk, Salah and Mane are all of a much higher quality than any player we have signed for Conte, and you also conveniently forget to mention Alissson or Fabinho, so that’s point is slightly mute.

Also, you speak about how Klopp improved the players mentioned through coaching. My worry is that Conte is a very different coach to Klopp. He’s not here for a long term project. He wants to come in, win a trophy for us and get out. He’s not here to build a long term legacy at Spurs. He wants to be able to win and challenge immediately. I don’t think he’s going to be here long enough for example to really coach any of our players to improve, or turn Spence into a Robertson style machine of a wing back etc.

Of course I get you point that not all players signed have to be world class superstars to be effective, but I just feel we could and should have pushed the boat out for players of a higher quality in positions we really needed them, particularly at wing back and centre back.

Yhepp, there’s Sunday league players who are every bit as good technically and some even better technically than players playing in the prem.

This is from a week ago, a top Sunday league team playing an 8a side match against a team made up of pro ballers like Iwobi, Glenn Kamara, Calvin Bassey whos just moved for 20 mil to ajax, Joe Aribo whos just moved to Southampton amongst others. The sunday league team only lost 4-3 and a few of them looked just as good with the ball at their feet as the pros.

Alex Iwobi, if ever you wanted proof that being good at football is not a pre-requisite for becoming a professional footballer...

That Sunday team are not really a Sunday team, they won the FA Sunday cup and are a standout side full of excellent semi pro’s. I get your point tho - I’ve played in the FA Sunday national cup and some of the players are superb.

Any Sunday side that plays on n the national cup would put 10 past 97% of other Sunday teams
Also we shouldn't underestimate the fact that they non-pros up against a team of pros would be playing the game of their life, whilst the pros were probably just having a laugh and trying to avoid injury.

Not much going on at the min I’d expect no more incoming before the Southampton game then we’ll asses the state of play in august.

Really hoped we’d see a few more shifted by now…

Not much going on at the min I’d expect no more incoming before the Southampton game then we’ll asses the state of play in august.

With all the incomings no doubt potentially interests clubs will be lowballing us to see how desperate we are to move players on.

You make some fair points, but I’d also say the comparison with Liverpool and Klopp doesn’t really stack up.

First off, from the players you talk about that they signed “before they started winning trophies” van Dijk, Salah and Mane are all of a much higher quality than any player we have signed for Conte, and you also conveniently forget to mention Alissson or Fabinho, so that’s point is slightly mute.

Also, you speak about how Klopp improved the players mentioned through coaching. My worry is that Conte is a very different coach to Klopp. He’s not here for a long term project. He wants to come in, win a trophy for us and get out. He’s not here to build a long term legacy at Spurs. He wants to be able to win and challenge immediately. I don’t think he’s going to be here long enough for example to really coach any of our players to improve, or turn Spence into a Robertson style machine of a wing back etc.

Of course I get you point that not all players signed have to be world class superstars to be effective, but I just feel we could and should have pushed the boat out for players of a higher quality in positions we really needed them, particularly at wing back and centre back.

Actually Mane and Richarlison has similar outputs playing for their teams, both had a 1 in 3 strike rate and Southampton for those two years he was there were generally better than Everton have been for the majority of time Rich had been there, and the point about Salah was mainly down to the fact that he had 1 strong season in Serie A and was a bit of an unknown quantity in that respect, yes they bought in Van Dijk who was one of the best performers outside the top 6 but we've just bought in Bissouma who you could say the same for.

And I say this because Klopp never had a Kane or Son in his team so he needed to rebuild that side pretty much from the ground up whilst Conte doesn't need to do that, all he needs to do is build the side to supplement Kane and Son and build a platform for them to win us games hence why we don't need massive names, more profile fits who embodies the Conte mentality.

Yes you make a good point about Alison and Fabinho by the way but the takeaway to my point about Liverpool wasn't the fact I was comparing personnel to theirs it was about more to do with the fact that they didn't need stars or names or established World Class players to succeed, they had a plan and executed it very well, you could see it in their recruitment and I can see a similar game plan with who we are bringing in this Summer, we bought in two players from Serie A in Jan who were considered flops by some however our team went up another level as a result.

I think you're probably right about RWB and LCB but I look around the market and bar Bastoni (who was never leaving Inter) I don't think there were a lot of difference makers that we could have got, the likes of Gvardiol (who I'm still not sold especially for €80m) needs another year personally, pointless buying Torres if you have Lenglet as they're the same sort of player and I'm not convinced Torres is that great anyway - the others? meh...I guess the jury is out on Spence but since we only signed him last week it seems that Conte didn't prioritise the position as much as we did.

Also we don't know whether Conte is here for long term or not so there's no point speculating on that, it's wasted energy. You can of course look at his previous jobs and make a correlation and believe that he may walk out but then you can look at when he was completely happy and completely backed when he was at Juve when he stayed for a few years, no-one knows - just gotta enjoy it whilst he's here and deal with the fallout when he leaves.

For the record I'm rating this window 8/10 so far but I still wanna see certain players leave and I still want an attacking midfielder.

Last edited:
Yeah, what we really need is a new back up goalie , versatile forward, a central midfielder, a creative centre back, as well as a couple of wing backs, ideally with experience and / or great potential.

I don’t think we will see a new signing period. Spence was the last one in my opinion. Quicker we accept that and hope that’s enough with the quality of our squad the better.

Yeah, I knew a guy that played for the local amateur league team, he was the most technical player I've ever seen in my life, he was at least ten levels above everyone else on the pitch.

We played an Irish Cup match against Glenavon reserves, a team that included a couple of future internationals, one of them was Gerry Taggart who ended up in the PL....we were like 6 divisions below them and they only beat us in a penalty shoot-out....But he played big Gerry off the fucking park that day, he didn't know whether he was coming or going,

Glenavon offered him a chance of signing, but he told them to fuck off, he liked doing his own thing and didn't want some cunt telling him how to play, I think were his exact words.
season 5 episdoe 10 GIF by Bosch

Yeah, I knew a guy

I don’t think we will see a new signing period. Spence was the last one in my opinion. Quicker we accept that and hope that’s enough with the quality of our squad the better.
I'd be amazed if that were the case. At the very least we clearly want an attacking midfielder/winger type. We have money and 5 weeks. Really cant see Levy, Paratici and Conte just shutting up shop. Reckon it will be 2 more, absolutely no idea who.

Look, I get that it is an easy way to express and to understand how people rate our dealings thus far… but when and why the fuck are we all bickering over an “out of ten” quantification?

There are so many criteria that the window can be judged on (most of them only truly able to be done in retrospect) that it is absurd to summarise your thoughts in such a way. “It’s a 7, but if we do this it’s a 9”… “I say it’s an 8, don’t say otherwise” blah blah blah. Are we watching Olympic diving? Its driving me crazy

That said… I’d rate it an 8 so far. But could slide to 7 if nothing else is done. Or go to 9 if we add a true 10. And maybe a 10 If we get a 10 and an lcb.

Yeah, what we really need is a new back up goalie , versatile forward, a central midfielder, a creative centre back, as well as a couple of wing backs, ideally with experience and / or great potential.
You forgot..a goal scoring centreback who is great with defending set pieces and converting Freekicks

season 5 episdoe 10 GIF by Bosch

Yeah, I knew a guy
He was called Alan Moore, his nickname was Ducky, because he always ducked out of everything, one of his specialties was these spins, he'd do them practically every time he got the ball, the locals just called them Ducky turns...They're called roulettes these days...He pulled them off perfectly every time whilst laughing his head off at the poor sap he'd just discombobulated...He could do them on either foot at any speed, players just couldn't handle him, they must have hated him.

Once played in the same team as Def Leppard's Vivian Campbell...That's him to the right of the keeper. The guy on the left of the keeper is Eddie Beattie, ended up on Burnley's books and roomed with Trevor Steven, got sent home for thieving, another guy that didn't give a fuck...

Last edited:

Sorry but why should we 'accept that'. Your opinion is not gospel. It's just that...an opinion.

So thanks for popping in Jeff, but no, I won't be agreeing with/accepting your opinion.

Back
Top Bottom