Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Everton are among ten clubs interested in signing Tottenham outcast Tanguy Ndombele on a loan-to-buy deal, according to a report from FootMercato.

Ndombele joined Spurs in a £60m deal in 2019 but has failed to make a positive impact at the club and was loaned back to Lyon for the second half of last season after Antonio Conte made him surplus to requirements.

With Lyon unable to afford him he returned to north London but with no future at the club, Everton are among a host of clubs across Europe who are interested in signing the 27-year-old.

However Everton, Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest, Marseille, Real Betis, Bayer Leverkusen, AC Milan and Galatasaray are also keeping track of the situation although they currently see a deal as too expensive.

Steer clear

Ndombele is exactly the type of signing that the club have been pushing to move away from in recent windows, and signing him would be a backwards step.

Despite his obvious talent on the ball, Ndombele has struggled with the pace of the English game and with his massive wages and the fee Spurs would demand to make it happen it should be a non-starter.

Everton
The addition of Amadou Onana plus the reportedly imminent arrival of Idrissa Gueye should see the midfield strong enough for the coming season and he’s simply not needed.

While he would definitely add creativity and quality to the side, the rest of his game doesn’t suit what Everton want or need in that area and it would be a statement signing for no reason.

Talented? Yes. Needed? No. This is one fans shouldn’t get excited about and the club should stay well away from if they have any sense.

Seriously why do Everton persist with signings like this? Who’s calling the shots up there

Option.... oh, so the dozens of articles that stated it was an option  were right.

Like I said, when everyone kept saying obligation.
You can have an option and an obligation within the same contract, I don't know what we have but conte said obligation

Conte has revealed, however, that it is an obligation to buy. It is understood that the situation is not quite that simple, but that the agreement essentially amounts to an obligation, and that he is very much considered a permanent Spurs player by everyone at the club.

“He’s on loan but we have an obligation to buy,” Conte said. “We bought him!”

You can have an option and an obligation within the same contract, I don't know what we have but conte said obligation

Conte has revealed, however, that it is an obligation to buy. It is understood that the situation is not quite that simple, but that the agreement essentially amounts to an obligation, and that he is very much considered a permanent Spurs player by everyone at the club.

It's always been as clear as mud this one. LOL

Might be that the contract is 5 years but the club have an option to extend by one year as well.
I think he means the first year as a loan + the 5 once it is permanent makes it pretty much a 6 year deal.

Which might be why we hold off on activating the Kulusevski deal until next summer… then we’d have him under contract for 6.5 years.

Last edited:
Seriously why do Everton persist with signings like this? Who’s calling the shots up there
Their owner. The one who used to be involved with owning Woolwich.

He's apparently steamrolled every sporting director and coach since he took over.

Impeccable logic. Unless you're Barcelona.....

Alasdair Gold has claimed that Tottenham Hotspur have scouted Bristol City’s Alex Scott “heavily”.

Spurs have been linked with the 18-year-old midfield talent for quite a few months now.

At the end of February, London World claimed that Spurs were leading the race to sign Scott.
The Mirror repeated the claim in April, also reporting that Tottenham were up against Leeds for his signature.

That report claimed the Robins were looking for £10million for the talented teenager.

So far, Scott remains at Ashton Gate and has made three appearances this season.

On Thursday, Gold hosted a fan Q&A on football.london, where a supporter asked him about Tottenham’s plans for young homegrown talent.

“Spurs will have to start building their homegrown numbers up for the long-term,” said Gold.

“Because they have let Alli, Carter-Vickers, Clarke, Etete, Rodon (for the Premier League) and eventually will see Winks go.

“And in the short-term both Troy Parrott and Dane Scarlett have left on loan.

“Djed Spence has come through the door but the club will want to boost their numbers going forward.

“Although they may be ok for their registered limits this season which requires club trained and locally trained in the Champions League, depending on what happens with Harvey White.

“Ultimately younger academy players can bump up those numbers registered but you’d prefer Premier League ready players so I think they have to make moves for homegrown players, whether it’s in this window or the coming ones.

“As for Alex Scott, he’s a player Spurs have scouted heavily and spoken about and the 18-year-old has got a fair bit of interest in him at the moment.”

“He can float around the football pitch”
Scott enjoyed a superb breakthrough campaign last term, making 38 Championship appearances for the Robins.

The Guernsey-born prodigy also registered four goals and two assists in the league.

As per Bristol World, Scott has earned comparisons with Aston Villa and England ace Jack Grealish.

This is ‘due to dribbling style, both being fouled often, and simply the way that both wear their socks. Hence the ‘Guernsey Grealish’ label.’

And Guernsey FC boss Tony Vance told the same outlet that Scott “has got all the right attributes in terms of nothing fazes him.

“He delivers at whatever level you play him at… He’s got tremendous balance when he moves.

“He can float around the football pitch. He’s looking like a no.10-type player but things can change.”

I watched him a bit in the summer for england and he looks a good player. I would be more than happy with getting him in and giving him until January with the option to loan him back to them from then.

I keep seeing we’ll sign a cb ‘if the opportunity presents itself’ I don’t really get that. It’s not like Leipzig are gonna be like ‘actually do you want Gvardiol for 40M?’

Drop Dier and have Sanchez in?

Hmmmmm.

It's well past time people like you put some respect on Dier's name tbh.

Joel Mchale Lol GIF by NETFLIX
It was a more a suggestion if dier is injured or needs a rest. Just an option. We know Dav can play rcb reasonably well. He did end of last season.

Wonder if Paratici is sniffing about Tomori? Surely some form of swap deal would tempt them…. Sanchez, Ndom amd or Reg and a few milly’s

Rate our back 3 highly but he would add incredible recovery pace, he’s rapid
No chance Milan sell him. He's the future of their backline, and he's signing a new deal.

I keep seeing we’ll sign a cb ‘if the opportunity presents itself’ I don’t really get that. It’s not like Leipzig are gonna be like ‘actually do you want Gvardiol for 40M?’
May be a defender at a club who are suddenly desperate for cash at the end of the window and prices reduce or more open to sell.

Annoying but good news he have actually had bids in for the players. I was sceptical anyone would come in for ndombele

Sportsmail understands that Tottenham have received offers for the players deemed surplus to requirements, but have found difficulty in completing those deals due to hesitancy from individuals to commit to moves.

The delays have caused irritation behind the scenes at Spurs, who are prioritising outgoings as they look to balance their squad after making six first-team signings.

Tottenham are pressing those players for a decision, but the club are being made to wait.

Regulion and Lo Celso has interest in Spain; while Ndombele and Winks both have interest from Premier League and foreign clubs.

But with under three weeks of the transfer window left to run, despite having concrete interest in the foursome, Spurs are facing a race against time to sell.

Defence not backline
Squad not roster

Sorry to be a pedant and I welcome the international community to our sport and league but I really dislike the use of language that has never ever applied to football in this country. It was always squad and defence, the other terms such as roster didn't ever exist in any way, shape or form when it came to football.

Please respect our terminology and use it. Thanks.

Defence not backline
Squad not roster

Sorry to be a pedant and I welcome the international community to our sport and league but I really dislike the use of language that has never ever applied to football in this country. It was always squad and defence, the other terms such as roster didn't ever exist in any way, shape or form when it came to football.

Please respect our terminology and use it. Thanks.

100% regarding "roster", but "back" has always been interchangeable with "defense"

CB
FB
WB
4 at the back.
Build from the back.
Weak at the back
etc.

Back
Top Bottom