Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nah. They lost Insigne, Mertens and Koulibaly in the same window, basically their entire backbone. That alongside Roma, Inter, Milan and Juve looking insanely strong makes Napoli have a very slim chance to finish in the top 4.
For sure Napoli will miss Koulibaly but the other 2 can hardly be called the backbone of the club. Mertens (now 35) was mainly a sub and there is a "reason" why Insigne (31) choose to play in Canada.
And if their new signings turn "good" I certainly would not count Napoli out of the race for the CL spot.

Last edited:
If these are the terms then it WAS an obligation as we finished 4th and 6th respectively which would have activated the purchase as we qualified for CL!
Maybe Mou's quote can be explained in that it hadn't been triggered by qualification officially at the time of quoting, and so was still "an option for the club" at that time?

For the conditions to be that we merely qualify for Europe having just played in the CL final, yea, I think most people would have considered that more or less an obligation. Might have had to be worded that way to give plausible deniability in case PSG complained and filed suit.

Anyways... interesting lil story there with GLC's fee and contract...

jazzy-jeff.gif

assuming that Tottenham’s history can be deleted and we start from year zero & ENIC’s arrival, I will accept that.

But we didn’t and we have quite a lot of history before ENIC where we will find a significantly more successful football club than what we currently have. I am pleased with where we are now. But look where the current owners had us just 12 months ago.
Other teams with rich history languishing in mid table and lower leagues. I'll take us, in spite of a longer wait to get back to being in a position to challenge, every day of the week.

Other teams with rich history languishing in mid table and lower leagues. I'll take us, in spite of a longer wait to get back to being in a position to challenge, every day of the week.
A longer wait?

Norwich could be taken over tomorrow by a bunch of terrorists and would be instantly catapulted above us.

Blood money has destroyed any semblance of 'sport'.

You can have a 1 year loan with a mandated purchase at the end of the year, unless a set target is "a year needs to pass" that's an obligation.
There is no such thing as an actual obligation to buy, it is just clauses that mean it turns into an obligation it could be as simple as start one game and a year to pass.

A longer wait?

Norwich could be taken over tomorrow by a bunch of terrorists and would be instantly catapulted above us.

So could Colchester. And so could we and be catapulted to the head of the pack. What I'm talking about is the organic growing of the club, which none of the other clubs that were our peers 15-20 years ago have managed to do to the extent we have.

You realise we're still one of the most successful teams in English football history? We've fallen behind Chelsea and City, who we were miles ahead of when ENIC took over.

Other than that we're still up there. We're not a team who peaked in the 50s and fell off a cliff like a Preston or even a Blackburn.

ENIC need to do something to keep us on the coat tails of the others. We need to start making these top 4 finishes pay off. They need to be used to solidify the league positions and add trophies to those league positions.

A longer wait?

Newcastle have been and will be coming for us.

That's an odd quote. I mean when is it time for Tottenham to make more mistakes in the transfer market?

I read that in a way that says we've made so many mistakes in the transfer window in the past that's seen us go backwards that we're set up now better than ever to move forward and therefore no more mistakes like an Ndombele or Lo Celso can be made.

Last edited:
You realise we're still one of the most successful teams in English football history? We've fallen behind Chelsea and City, who we were miles ahead of when ENIC took over.
Well said sir. This is something our newer fans, and some of our overseas fans, would do well to get a grasp of.

I read that in a way that says we've made so many mistakes in the transfer window in the past that's seen us go backwards than we're set up now better than ever to move forward and therefore no more mistakes like an Ndombele or Lo Celso can be made.
Hmm so it's a translation issue and he probably meant ''Tottenham won't be making anymore mistakes in the transfer market.''

Back
Top Bottom