Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is intresting.

We seemed all in for getting rid on loan earlier in the window. Now all of a sudden, he's making the bench and we don't want to sell. He's either really impressing in training, willing to try out a new position or we're going to be switching to a potential 424 type hybrid which benefits having Gil in the team.

There's no reason Gil shouldn't be able to beat out Lucas for the 5th attacker's minutes. In fact, I'll be worried if he's not able to.

If we were recruiting a recruiter from Italy, I would have preferred to see Geoffrey Moncada (Milan) but we’ll see how this guy does. I know very little about him.
So you´re a scout-expert?

Spence was a club signing and not a conte signing I heard. Need to integrate new signings soon as I have to say our midfield was weak yesterday. Royal has done well I have to say.
I'm not in the "Traore is shit" camp but I do see Spence as very likely having as much end product as Traore right now, with far more potential end product in the future. I just don't really see why we'd bother with anyone new in that role not already close to world class level. Like... Hakimi or bust until either Emerson or Spence come good.

If you're talking g/a I have serious doubts that if you swapped out Maddison for SMS at Leicester he'd be more productive .. in fact I imagine quite the opposite.

I don't know, you might be right, either way there's not loads in it offensively IMO. I had a look through their metrics (not just the basic but slightly more detailed on Fbref and instat) they put up some very similar numbers for a lot of stuff. Their XA90 and XG90's were absolutely identical last season. Their other metrics are pretty similar (with without the ball) but SMS is marginally better at defensive stuff pressing/tackling/winning. The biggest difference is SMS also gets through about twice as much ball per game as Maddison. Maybe because he plays more as an 8, and Maddison more as a 10, but SMS's all round skillset definitely seems more rounded.

Even though as a footballer I probably marginally prefer SMS, Maddison probably makes sense as a deal (age, HG inherent value profile etc). I'll be honest, I'm not overly keen on signing either, but I guess both bring something Conte likes to have in his toolbox for the odd occasion. I'd just rather have better options for the plan A, which gets used the majority of the time nearly every week.

The way Andersen is playing at the moment Dier wouldn’t get in over him and no way palace sell him.

I didn't watch Andersen this past weekend. I've always liked him as a player and thought he'd have been a good acquisition for us this past window. Maybe you're right but we probably need a bit more sample size, eh? Diers good with languages, and is pretty decent with the ball at the back in our back 3. And hes diehard Tottenham. And scored already this season...

Dier as been great under conte. Undisputed starter for me
hes been very good in relation to his own standard. but hes not good enough of a CB for a title chasing side. take your tinted glasses off and be honest. ive never seen a Cb get skinned so easily in a top side. andersen's passing is top notch for a cb. him in a back 3 with romero and leglet either side would be class.

and yea dier starts automatically because his competition is davinson sanchez.......

hes a target we should be able to easily get if we really wanted. he plays for palace and hes surrounded by shit so he would probably welcome the move. would upgrade us massively, dier would be a good option as backup.

Gil's a complete nothing player atm. At least Lucas can pull out the odd moment of magic and some important goals.
Lucas is past his peak and has never had any real end product from the wide positions. Though he's had his moments in seasons past, he wasn't very useful for us last year and seems unlikely to improve his totals this year. If Gil can't out produce that sort of a Lucas, don't you think that'd actually be a sign he needs a loan, or possibly even to be sold on?

This is intresting.

We seemed all in for getting rid on loan earlier in the window. Now all of a sudden, he's making the bench and we don't want to sell. He's either really impressing in training, willing to try out a new position or we're going to be switching to a potential 424 type hybrid which benefits having Gil in the team.
hed defo be impressing in training as hes one of the most talented players on the books. its impossible to not see the raw talent, unless of course you're an absolute muppet. hes also coming across as having a very good attitude so its hard not to like.

think youre right about the 424, gil would be perfect on that left hand side, running down the wing and supplying kane, rich and kulu. its all coming together nicely now. just a few tweeks to the defence and we are looking very, very good.

gil could also play in a CAM role if needed, think hed actually be better there than on the left as hes got that playmaker gift that you just cant teach.

Though he's had his moments in seasons past, he wasn't very useful for us last year
Not true - he played a crucial role for us in the first 3-4 months on last season when Kane was struggling. He help us stay within reach of the top 4. We would definitely not be where we are today without him.

Also, I would have loved to see Lucas come on a little earlier against Chelsea. If there's one player out of our attackers that can get us out of our own half when we're massively pressured, it's still Lucas.

hes been very good in relation to his own standard. but hes not good enough of a CB for a title chasing side. take your tinted glasses off and be honest. ive never seen a Cb get skinned so easily in a top side. andersen's passing is top notch for a cb. him in a back 3 with romero and leglet either side would be class.

and yea dier starts automatically because his competition is davinson sanchez.......

hes a target we should be able to easily get if we really wanted. he plays for palace and hes surrounded by shit so he would probably welcome the move. would upgrade us massively, dier would be a good option as backup.
We are never going to have a eleven with 11 top players. Dier isn’t world class or a fantastic player but he’s pretty good on this system. There’s literally no reason to drop him. Him and Romero plus another guy is the back 3. Andersen is good but I don’t think he would be that better than dier here. Andersen is a better passer but Eric the best defender.

Interesting appointment.

With this restructuring behind the scenes it feels like we are set long term, even if Conte leaves after this or next season. Heck, that dangling over their heads may have even been a catalyst for it.

It is nice to see us get our shit together.

Big picture this is really clever. English football is the cash cow and it seems Spain and Portugal are tapped out with agents infesting the EPL clubs at will.

Us being in bed with the Italian player's and clubs is a good thing. Conte is a media darling in Italy and would be a big draw for Italian based players to want to play for. Throw in Paratici and now this new scout who know the market inside out and we are well placed for all sorts of deals.

I'm really happy with this direction.

Back
Top Bottom