Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tottenham Hotspur have Alessandro Bastoni at the top of their list but could have to move for alternatives, with a move looking more difficult than ever.

Bastoni is said to be the top defensive target for Antonio Conte this summer. The Italian has been outstanding for Inter, and Conte is more than aware of his abilities from his own time at the club. However, according to The Evening Standard, Bastoni is not overly convinced on Spurs just yet. And with that, Tottenham are considering a move for RB Leipzig defender, Josko Gvardiol, instead.
Haven't seen a lot of Gvardiol but by all accounts reports are really good.

Seems like some people saw him have a poor game vs Rangers and decide he's shit. Chelsea keen too.

Whomever we get, we need to act quickly.

My main concern with tanganga is he aint good enough
Also needs games and at CB, they should be consecutive.
That ain’t happening in the CL so loan it is

He’s never going to be a good footballer but he could blossom into a good defender. I don’t see him making it at Spurs but he will have a good career imo

Is it just me or are these kind of underwhelming signings for City?

I suppose they are bringing in Haaland & Alverez so fair play etc but these 2 aren't upgrades

Tottenham Hotspur have Alessandro Bastoni at the top of their list but could have to move for alternatives, with a move looking more difficult than ever.

Bastoni is said to be the top defensive target for Antonio Conte this summer. The Italian has been outstanding for Inter, and Conte is more than aware of his abilities from his own time at the club. However, according to The Evening Standard, Bastoni is not overly convinced on Spurs just yet. And with that, Tottenham are considering a move for RB Leipzig defender, Josko Gvardiol, instead.

Gvardiol told back in March that he had no intention of leaving Leipzig and Leipzig does need to sell as they have plenty of money.

Gvardiol dismisses speculation over Leipzig future​

By Rune GjerulffMarch 10

RB Leipzig centre-back Josko Gvardiol has insisted he wants to stay beyond the summer despite rumors linking him with Tottenham.

Josko Gvardiol has dismissed speculation linking him with a move away from RB Leipzig in the summer.

Tottenham, among others, are said to be keeping tabs on the young centre-back, but he is not thinking about a move away from Leipzig.

"I really enjoy every day with this great team, at this first-class club," the 20-year-old centre-back told Bild.

"I don't think about anything else. And if you ask me if I'll play here next year: Yes, of course."

Leipzig signed Gvardiol on a five-year deal from Dinamo Zagreb for around €19 million last summer.

Since then, he has emerged as a key player for 'Die Roten Bullen', featuring 34 times with two goals and three assists to his name.

Gvardiol told back in March that he had no intention of leaving Leipzig and Leipzig does need to sell as they have plenty of money.

Gvardiol dismisses speculation over Leipzig future​

By Rune GjerulffMarch 10

RB Leipzig centre-back Josko Gvardiol has insisted he wants to stay beyond the summer despite rumors linking him with Tottenham.

Josko Gvardiol has dismissed speculation linking him with a move away from RB Leipzig in the summer.

Tottenham, among others, are said to be keeping tabs on the young centre-back, but he is not thinking about a move away from Leipzig.

"I really enjoy every day with this great team, at this first-class club," the 20-year-old centre-back told Bild.

"I don't think about anything else. And if you ask me if I'll play here next year: Yes, of course."

Leipzig signed Gvardiol on a five-year deal from Dinamo Zagreb for around €19 million last summer.

Since then, he has emerged as a key player for 'Die Roten Bullen', featuring 34 times with two goals and three assists to his name.
well then we'll really need to put our balls on the table for Bastoni.

If the reports about Bastoni preferring to remain at Inter are true, I am wondering if I really want a player, no matter how good, who's kind of forced out of his club...
Players - no matter how professional - are also humans with their emotions as well, and we saw how Kane - and even Messi - were affected by their transfer ordeals.
So far I still want Bastoni, of course.

I had always thought getting Italy’s best defender in was going to be unlikely. Also why would he come all the way to England to play for Conte who himself is so up and down with how long he stays at clubs. If he comes and Conte fucks off in 12 months time then the player has been left high and dry.

Gazidis (CEO of AC Milan) in the Guardian today is very clear about the falling status of European football and Serie A and how they needed the Super League. Inter haven't got the money to both balance the books and compete on wages with Spurs, as ridiculous as that sounds. They can by going back to losing money hand over fist but the owners don't want that. There are cold economic reasons why we ended up with Paratici, Conte, Romero, Deki and Perisic and even if Bastoni refuses to come, that logic won't go away.
The most interesting thing about clubs in Italy is financially they need CL. While an English club missing out means not being able to attract the best players and spend as much if you are Inter it means selling your best players to balance the books now. And even if you do get CL it may be wise to sell some of your best players those years anyway if you think you can do that and reinvest and still get CL next season. As said, they needed the super league.

Schlotterbeck to Bor. Dortmund for only €25m really looks like a bargain.

Every six months, Kicker releases a ranking of the best players in the Bundesliga as well as the best German players abroad, dividing them into a number of categories.

Today, the German football magazine has released the first part of their summer rankings based on the performances in the second half of the 2021/22 season. Below, you'll find the centre-back rankings.

World Class:
1. Nico Schlotterbeck, Freiburg
2. Willi Orban, RB Leipzig

International Class:
3. Josko Gvardiol, RB Leipzig
4. Jonathan Tah, Leverkusen
5. Timo Hübers, FC Köln
6. Niklas Süle, Bayern
7. Mohamed Simakan, RB Leipzig
8. Philipp Lienhart, Freiburg
9. Edmond Tapsoba, Leverkusen
10. Evan Ndicka, Frankfurt
11. Timo Baumgartl, Union Berlin
12. Lukas Klostermann, RB Leipzig
13. Tuta, Frankfurt
14. Piero Hincapie, Leverkusen
15. Martin Hinteregger, Frankfurt

Gonna end up holding our cocks again in terms of this left sided centre back. Can see it coming a mile off. I haven’t been too disappointed with Davies but if we want to progress in the champions league we need a better alternative there really. We’ll probably end up with Tyrone fucking Mings knowing our luck!

Tottenham are requesting a bargain £17million fee for midfielder Giovani Lo Celso this summer, and that has got to put Newcastle on red alert. The Argentine spent the second half of the 21-22 season on loan at Villarreal.

Lo Celso, 26, has failed to hit the heights he did at Real Betis when Spurs brought him to North London – initially on loan. Joining Tottenham in 2019, he has produced just 14 goal involvements in 84 games, starting only 50.

Spurs loaned him to Villarreal for the second half of last season and he immediately showed what he can do, under Unai Emery. He played a crucial part in the Yellow Submarine’s Champions League campaign.

Reaching the semi-finals, his stock is back on top. But this summer is an intriguing one for the Copa America winner, with Fabrizio Romano reporting Spurs are willing to cash in for a bargain fee of just £17million.

Newcastle are expected to bring in a number of signings this summer, but they will have Financial Fairplay looking over their shoulder. So, getting value for money is key. Lo Celso, for £17million, is certainly that.

While he has struggled in England, he is still only 26 and just needs a team where he plays regularly. Newcastle have solid options in midfield; Bruno Guimaraes and Joelinton combining superbly to push the Toon forward.

But they lack a proper no.10, one that can combine midfield and attack. Joelinton has turned himself into more of a six or an eight, while Bruno is box-to-box. Lo Celso is a 10, or a winger. He gives another dimension.

This is a scenario that can spoil the Bastoni deal:

Chelski loans Lukaku to Inter (maybe with a buy-option of, say £40m+, with a generous installment deal), whilst buying Martinez for around £70m.
Inter can then sell de Vrij (maybe around £15-20m), buy Bremer (for around £30m) and sign Dybala and then afford to keep Bastoni.

What about Ndicka or Dardai as LCB alternatives? If nothing else we at least need to bring in someone to compete with Davies and bring depth to our LCB position. Perhaps a young up and comer could be brought in to compete with Ben and hopefully, eventually make the spot their own? The idea being we spend less here so we can spend more somewhere else.

I'd obviously prefer Bastoni or Gvardiol, but if they don't want to move this summer we'll need to figure out alternatives.

Always felt like this might be the case. Wish we'd secured Bastoni first, and then went after Perisic.
Nah. I’m happy with getting players in as soon as we can. Get them embedded, starting pre season etc. some deals will be harder but if there are also easy pickings then get them sorted. If we end up moving on from Bastoni c’est la vie

Tottenham are requesting a bargain £17million fee for midfielder Giovani Lo Celso this summer, and that has got to put Newcastle on red alert. The Argentine spent the second half of the 21-22 season on loan at Villarreal.

Lo Celso, 26, has failed to hit the heights he did at Real Betis when Spurs brought him to North London – initially on loan. Joining Tottenham in 2019, he has produced just 14 goal involvements in 84 games, starting only 50.

Spurs loaned him to Villarreal for the second half of last season and he immediately showed what he can do, under Unai Emery. He played a crucial part in the Yellow Submarine’s Champions League campaign.

Reaching the semi-finals, his stock is back on top. But this summer is an intriguing one for the Copa America winner, with Fabrizio Romano reporting Spurs are willing to cash in for a bargain fee of just £17million.

Newcastle are expected to bring in a number of signings this summer, but they will have Financial Fairplay looking over their shoulder. So, getting value for money is key. Lo Celso, for £17million, is certainly that.

While he has struggled in England, he is still only 26 and just needs a team where he plays regularly. Newcastle have solid options in midfield; Bruno Guimaraes and Joelinton combining superbly to push the Toon forward.

But they lack a proper no.10, one that can combine midfield and attack. Joelinton has turned himself into more of a six or an eight, while Bruno is box-to-box. Lo Celso is a 10, or a winger. He gives another dimension.

As its 'loadsamoney' Newcastle I think we tell them its £40m - just a translation error that they were told £17m

Back
Top Bottom