Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's the one.

Wasn't it based on a true life story?

There's gonna be people reading that second line who think I'm being serious🤣
You know you joke …. But in many respects it is based on the oldest financial scam of the Nathan Rothschild fiasco

after the battle of Waterloo

‘ buy when there’s blood on the streets’ is s coined trading term now but it was taken from literal events

Any how I’ve cut and paste the story cos it’s a goodun

So yeah …. Was based on a true story (I’m certain it’s happened many many times since)

200 years might have passed since Napoleon was defeated at Waterloo. But some things in war - and finance - do not change, such as the absolute importance of being ahead of the game. Nathan Rothschild cleaned up on the Gilt market thanks to his rapid, reliable, and finely honed communications system that brought him news of Wellington's victory ahead of anyone else in Westminster and the City.

Old Money is written by Professor Richard Roberts of Kings College

London, the official historian of HSBC and Schroders

The Battle of Waterloo on June 18, 1815 - 200 years ago this week - finally banished the spectre of Napoleon's domination of

Europe. No one was more delighted than the denizens of the London Stock Exchange, Nathan Rothschild especially, as Gilts soared on the good news.

For the preceding two decades of war since the French Revolution, bond prices had been buffeted by news from battlefields. A victory by Britain or its allies sent prices north since it reduced the risks of defeat, default and more government borrowing. A defeat sent prices south for opposite reasons.
These conditions provided plenty of opportunity for market manipulation through The manufacture of battlefield news given
that information travelled at the speed of horses and sailing ships.

The most notorious scam occurred in

February 1814.

Napoleon was in trouble and his fall seemed likely. A bungling concert party of speculators built up huge positions in Gilts expecting prices to rise. The plan was to trade "within the account", meaning that they only had to put up a modest amount of margin. But then came news of French successes that left them facing large losses.

Two days before the end of the account, an officer dressed in the uniform of aide de camp to the British commander in France appeared in Dover in the middle of the night claiming to have just crossed the Channel with urgent news. Napoleon had been killed by Cossacks and The French monarchy restored. He sent word
to the Dover Port Admiral evidently hoping that he would inform the government via the Admiralty's system of semaphore relay stations resulting in an official release announcement. But it was too foggy for the semaphore system to operate.

The next day around noon, an open carriage containing three men dressed as French Royalist officers crying "Vive Le Roi" drove around the City.

Again, the story was that Napoleon was dead and the French monarchy restored.

They then supposedly set off for Downing Street to tell the Prime Minister. The appearance of the "royalists" and their news was a tonic for Gilt prices that rose 20%.

But they slumped again when Stock

Exchange messengers to Whitehall returned without confirmation.

The authorities were unamused by the pantomime hoax.

The Stock Exchange quickly identified sales by seven individuals that "stank to high

Heaven".

Sensationally their number included Lord Cochrane MP, a naval hero (and real-life model for Horatio Hornblower RN). They were found guilty of fraud and jailed for a year. Cochrane went abroad and commanded the Chilean and Brazilian navies in their wars of independence, enjoying markedly greater success than in Gilt manipulation.

Rothschild

Nathan Rothschild, founder of the London firm, was supremely aware of the value of early and accurate information. His firm's fortune was made by supplying the Duke of Wellington's army in Spain and France with gold and silver coin to pay the troops.

Rapid and reliable communications were crucial for his complex and risky payments and arbitrage operations. He set up a private courier system with shipping agents in Dover, Calais and Ostend with fast light vessels ready to sail at any time. There were relays of horses to speed messages from the Channel to London. And a farm on the coast at Hythe for courier pigeons.

As night descended at Waterloo on June 18

a Rothschild agent dashed to Dunkirk.

Conveyed by a Rothschild ship and

Rothschild steeds, Nathan received news of the victory on the night of Monday 19th - just 24 hours afterwards. Wellington's official messenger didn't arrive until Wednesday evening.

In the meantime, Nathan called on the Prime Minister but was refused entry by a butler, because the PM was resting.
His duty done, he proceeded to the Stock Exchange where he was in sole possession of the momentous news. It is not known how much Rothschild made from Waterloo but it must have been a great deal. The collective assets of the five Rothschild brothers in spring 1815 came to £500,000 (at a time when the average wage was about £50 per year); in July 1816 it was £1 million.

The Iron Duke observed that Waterloo Was:

'A damn close-run thing - the nearest run thing you ever saw in your life." Maybe on the battlefield, but not on the Stock Exchange with Rothschild's information system.

If City offered us 100m base fee with realistic add-ons leading up to potentially 120-130m back in 2021 - we'd have accepted it. No doubt about it.

He has said he won't sell Kane to an English club. He refused to negotiate with City

If it was Real or Bayern a few years ago then who knows what would have happened, still with 3 years left on his contract I think he would have wanted more than 100 mill base rising to 120 mill

Villa are straight up a better club than us right now. They have a better squad and a better manager. and a real transfer strategy.

No qualifiers. It’s the undeniable truth.

'On paper' is a bit of a rubbish phrase because it's so changeable but right now they definitely have a stronger backline and keeper on paper, I don't think that should be controversial.

We've definitely got a better collection of midfielders, not close imo. Jacob Ramsey is a gem and I don't mind Luiz/McGinn but Bissouma, Bentancur and Maddison is just better. We've got better depth here, too. Tielemans is alright on the ball.

Going forward is where its dodgy. With Kane, its easily us. Without its scarily close. You'd *hope* if we did sell Kane we strengthened significantly. But Watkins vs Richy is close, as is Diaby vs Kulu, with our LW options being stronger than Buendia/Bailey/whoever.

This shouldn't happen. We shouldn't have a comparable on-paper team to Aston Villa.

He's a decent player but nowhere near the level imo. Disaster at times recieving the ball, just lots of little things in possession that have him a step below what we need to be signing.

Cheers. Will be interesting to see how he adapts to the Prem.

'On paper' is a bit of a rubbish phrase because it's so changeable but right now they definitely have a stronger backline and keeper on paper, I don't think that should be controversial.

We've definitely got a better collection of midfielders, not close imo. Jacob Ramsey is a gem and I don't mind Luiz/McGinn but Bissouma, Bentancur and Maddison is just better. We've got better depth here, too. Tielemans is alright on the ball.

Going forward is where its dodgy. With Kane, its easily us. Without its scarily close. You'd *hope* if we did sell Kane we strengthened significantly. But Watkins vs Richy is close, as is Diaby vs Kulu, with our LW options being stronger than Buendia/Bailey/whoever.

This shouldn't happen. We shouldn't have a comparable on-paper team to Aston Villa.
Exactly. I’m not saying Aston Villa is bigger or has more potential as a sporting project than Spurs. But at this moment in time comparing the respective squads and management, I would pick Aston Villa to be more successful in 2023-24 than Tottenham Hotspur.

What insight do you want?

PL is the richest European league therefore quoted prices are sky high. We have categorically capped our expenditure to profit, and we’ve already allocated Kulusevski, Porro and Maddison to this window.

Probably have about 30 million left and everyone is telling us to fuck off.

Only way we buy anyone decent is if Kane goes.
Those deals for deki,Porro and Maddison are getting paid in instalments. Deki’s is £6 million a year over 5 years and I’d imagine the other two are similar. This is what will be holding up deals. Levy trying to pay over longer periods and clubs just not having it. No club will pay out the whole fee in one go but we do have a little prick wanting to pay it like a mortgage. 🤣

People pick a fight in going to win it.

Chat forums a serious thing

Should have been working but it was boring work so
Oh behave yourself. No one 'picked a fight,' you had an argument where you were clearly proven as wrong. That's it.

It wasn't even particularly bad tempered until you started telling people to fuck off.

Now you're carrying on like a teenager with a strop.

This isn't a competition. We don't tally up points at the end of the season to see who won the argument league.

You're a good poster when you leave the emotion out of it Rich, but you're like a dog with a bone when you're challenged.

None of us are right all the time, so there's no loss of face in holding your hands up and admitting you're wrong, quite the opposite on here. I've yet to see anyone have their nose rubbed in it when they've done that, regardless of which side of the 'divide' they sit on.

Not everyone you argue with is 'the enemy.'

Villa are straight up a better club than us right now. They have a better squad and a better manager. and a real transfer strategy.

No qualifiers. It’s the undeniable truth.
It’s amazing what signing a couple of flavour of the month players does for a clubs reputation

They finished ahead of us by one point last season, a season in which we were a fucking basket case

Weeks away from bankruptcy, so he will have my lifelong gratitude- which is tough given what an utter bastard amongst utter bastards that he was.
It's amazing that although our league position was pretty poor under Sugar, we won the same amount of trophies under his Ownership as Enic have in over twice the number of years!

Exactly. I’m not saying Aston Villa is bigger or has more potential as a sporting project than Spurs. But at this moment in time comparing the respective squads and management, I would pick Aston Villa to be more successful in 2023-24 than Tottenham Hotspur.

I think we'll finish ahead of them partly due to the European football factor (I expect them to win the ECL) and because I do generally view the midfield as the most important part of a team and its where our options shit all over theirs imo.

Last season we obviously had no Maddison and Bentancur/Bissouma were injured relatively early. Those 3 all starting & fit is a great trio. The back-up's to them are good too. It's the only area of our team I look at and go "yeah, we could start the season tomorrow and I'd be happy with this"'.

Makes sense now. Terrible approach btw. If someone highlights something I’ve missed and ultimately removes the foundations im arguing from. I gladly take the information and reanalyse. I think in it’s basic form it’s called learning

Arguing a losing position for sake of seeing it as ‘a fight’. They ain’t gonna get far

I’ve seen numerous posters try and help you out today and all you’ve done is argue a weak case worse each time

Each to their own right ?
The Office Nbc GIF

It’s amazing what signing a couple of flavour of the month players does for a clubs reputation
And doing the double over us last season, finishing 4th in points earned since Unai Emery was appointed, getting European football, having actual professional level centre halves employed at their football club…
We have a better CF.
for now. Doubt that will be the case next month.

They finished ahead of us by one point last season, a season in which we were a fucking basket case

A season in which they had Gerrard for a large part of the season where they were significantly below us, just for balance. When they had Emery they were projected within the top four, under him they were excellent.

They've got a manager with proven pedigree, and you can call Diaby & Torres "flavour of the month" all you like, it won't make it true.

Villa had a good squad that they added two top international players to in key positions. It's a very close squad in quality to ours.

You know you joke …. But in many respects it is based on the oldest financial scam of the Nathan Rothschild fiasco

after the battle of Waterloo

‘ buy when there’s blood on the streets’ is s coined trading term now but it was taken from literal events

Any how I’ve cut and paste the story cos it’s a goodun

So yeah …. Was based on a true story (I’m certain it’s happened many many times since)

200 years might have passed since Napoleon was defeated at Waterloo. But some things in war - and finance - do not change, such as the absolute importance of being ahead of the game. Nathan Rothschild cleaned up on the Gilt market thanks to his rapid, reliable, and finely honed communications system that brought him news of Wellington's victory ahead of anyone else in Westminster and the City.

Old Money is written by Professor Richard Roberts of Kings College

London, the official historian of HSBC and Schroders

The Battle of Waterloo on June 18, 1815 - 200 years ago this week - finally banished the spectre of Napoleon's domination of

Europe. No one was more delighted than the denizens of the London Stock Exchange, Nathan Rothschild especially, as Gilts soared on the good news.

For the preceding two decades of war since the French Revolution, bond prices had been buffeted by news from battlefields. A victory by Britain or its allies sent prices north since it reduced the risks of defeat, default and more government borrowing. A defeat sent prices south for opposite reasons.
These conditions provided plenty of opportunity for market manipulation through The manufacture of battlefield news given
that information travelled at the speed of horses and sailing ships.

The most notorious scam occurred in

February 1814.

Napoleon was in trouble and his fall seemed likely. A bungling concert party of speculators built up huge positions in Gilts expecting prices to rise. The plan was to trade "within the account", meaning that they only had to put up a modest amount of margin. But then came news of French successes that left them facing large losses.

Two days before the end of the account, an officer dressed in the uniform of aide de camp to the British commander in France appeared in Dover in the middle of the night claiming to have just crossed the Channel with urgent news. Napoleon had been killed by Cossacks and The French monarchy restored. He sent word
to the Dover Port Admiral evidently hoping that he would inform the government via the Admiralty's system of semaphore relay stations resulting in an official release announcement. But it was too foggy for the semaphore system to operate.

The next day around noon, an open carriage containing three men dressed as French Royalist officers crying "Vive Le Roi" drove around the City.

Again, the story was that Napoleon was dead and the French monarchy restored.

They then supposedly set off for Downing Street to tell the Prime Minister. The appearance of the "royalists" and their news was a tonic for Gilt prices that rose 20%.

But they slumped again when Stock

Exchange messengers to Whitehall returned without confirmation.

The authorities were unamused by the pantomime hoax.

The Stock Exchange quickly identified sales by seven individuals that "stank to high

Heaven".

Sensationally their number included Lord Cochrane MP, a naval hero (and real-life model for Horatio Hornblower RN). They were found guilty of fraud and jailed for a year. Cochrane went abroad and commanded the Chilean and Brazilian navies in their wars of independence, enjoying markedly greater success than in Gilt manipulation.

Rothschild

Nathan Rothschild, founder of the London firm, was supremely aware of the value of early and accurate information. His firm's fortune was made by supplying the Duke of Wellington's army in Spain and France with gold and silver coin to pay the troops.

Rapid and reliable communications were crucial for his complex and risky payments and arbitrage operations. He set up a private courier system with shipping agents in Dover, Calais and Ostend with fast light vessels ready to sail at any time. There were relays of horses to speed messages from the Channel to London. And a farm on the coast at Hythe for courier pigeons.

As night descended at Waterloo on June 18

a Rothschild agent dashed to Dunkirk.

Conveyed by a Rothschild ship and

Rothschild steeds, Nathan received news of the victory on the night of Monday 19th - just 24 hours afterwards. Wellington's official messenger didn't arrive until Wednesday evening.

In the meantime, Nathan called on the Prime Minister but was refused entry by a butler, because the PM was resting.
His duty done, he proceeded to the Stock Exchange where he was in sole possession of the momentous news. It is not known how much Rothschild made from Waterloo but it must have been a great deal. The collective assets of the five Rothschild brothers in spring 1815 came to £500,000 (at a time when the average wage was about £50 per year); in July 1816 it was £1 million.

The Iron Duke observed that Waterloo Was:

'A damn close-run thing - the nearest run thing you ever saw in your life." Maybe on the battlefield, but not on the Stock Exchange with Rothschild's information system.
Pigeons, weren't it?
Just reminded me of a locksmith who changed a lock for me. Took him 10 minutes.
Charged me £50.
I said that's a good whack.
He said I can do it and you can't.

Back
Top Bottom