Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Might as well throw another log on the fire here. Found this over on reddit:

fqrz5e9gakeb1.png

The question is have any of the six done really well relative to spend levels compared to quality?
I maintain that the biggest reason for our success under Pochettino in the late 10s was due to catastrophic widespread incompetence at each of the richer, historically more dominant clubs - namely United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Citeh and Scum. They had such a massive financial advantage over the field including us, that only squandering their money on shite players and horrific mismanagement would keep them from success.

Don't get me wrong. They've cocked it up to an enormous degree. But the tides changed for City and Pool and now for Woolwich and United seemingly, and it's only a matter of time before the Chavs and Newcastle use their financial might the right way as well.

L

Even with two CBs, this is a 7th place squad without Kane. Brighton, Villa just have squads as strong or stronger and that’s just the way it is.
We can't know until the end of the season really. There are simply too many unknowns. How good is a Bissouma-Maddison-Sarr / Lo Celso midfield? Can the defence (even with a new LCB) function in the Prem with how exposed it'll be? Will Richarlison / our new striker thrive in the striker role? Will Son and Kulu be able to function as Ange wingers, and if not, will he have the stones to drop them or adjust his system? Will Vicario finally make a save?

If nothing else, it'll be an interesting season.

I think you’re making what is called an argument of ignorance — you assert that he is prepared to move because there’s no direct quote to contradict your claim.

Except there is — in other interviews (given later?) where he states he had no intention of leaving Inter.

Nothing in his quote suggests he wants to play for Conté again as the article asserts. The article could just have easily said that he wants to become the player-manager of Tranmere Rovers because he loves the architecture of the Birkenhead Post Office and you could make the same (fallacious) argument.
This interview doesn’t exist

You are wrong

Whatever the case may be, thank fuck we didn’t buy Bastoni for £80m or whatever the fee was.

He was and is incredibly overrated.

Actual worth £30m or £40m, but if we had bought him, we'd be wanting to upgrade him now but have a lot less cash to do it with - plus selling the unwanted Bastoni on huge ages the buying club unlikely to want to afford. Especially selling back to Italian league as after failing in PL nowhere else to sell him too (the Ndombele problem).

I maintain that the biggest reason for our success under Pochettino in the late 10s was due to catastrophic widespread incompetence at each of the richer, historically more dominant clubs - namely United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Citeh and Scum. They had such a massive financial advantage over the field including us, that only squandering their money on shite players and horrific mismanagement would keep them from success.

Don't get me wrong. They've cocked it up to an enormous degree. But the tides changed for City and Pool and now for Woolwich and United seemingly, and it's only a matter of time before the Chavs and Newcastle use their financial might the right way as well.
This makes no sense. Apart from 2016, those clubs won all the silverware.
Our growth under Poch came because of good singings. It had nothing to do with the others spending.

When it comes to financial might, up until last season we were earning more than Scum, and Scum has continuously spent more than us. It has nothing to do with revenue, it has everything to do with owners deciding to spend or not.

Oh behave yourself. No one 'picked a fight,' you had an argument where you were clearly proven as wrong. That's it.

It wasn't even particularly bad tempered until you started telling people to fuck off.

Now you're carrying on like a teenager with a strop.

This isn't a competition. We don't tally up points at the end of the season to see who won the argument league.

You're a good poster when you leave the emotion out of it Rich, but you're like a dog with a bone when you're challenged.

None of us are right all the time, so there's no loss of face in holding your hands up and admitting you're wrong, quite the opposite on here. I've yet to see anyone have their nose rubbed in it when they've done that, regardless of which side of the 'divide' they sit on.

Not everyone you argue with is 'the enemy.'
In no way whatsoever have I been proven wrong.

The only thing that’s been established is that talks happened about the move and that the move didn’t happen,

You struggle with the fact that doesn’t fit with what you want to believe and it’s even harder for you because other people believe the same and it appeals to your own confirmation bias.

Levy's next line of deception will get to con us into thinking we should sell Kane to buy two CH's and a midfielder, we should be buying these irrespective of Kane deal and his sale if it happens should be used to address other areas. We hear rumours of being ruthless in getting rid of deadwood and only winks has left. We are currently run like a joke shop, nothing ever seems to change, I feel for the manager as he will eventually be the scapegoat like many who went before him.

Levy's next line of deception will get to con us into thinking we should sell Kane to buy two CH's and a midfielder, we should be buying these irrespective of Kane deal and his sale if it happens should be used to address other areas. We hear rumours of being ruthless in getting rid of deadwood and only winks has left. We are currently run like a joke shop, nothing ever seems to change, I feel for the manager as he will eventually be the scapegoat like many who went before him.
Yes, but we should also be selling Kane irrespective of buying two CBs.

In no way whatsoever have I been proven wrong.

The only thing that’s been established is that talks happened about the move and that the move didn’t happen,

You struggle with the fact that doesn’t fit with what you want to believe and it’s even harder for you because other people believe the same and it appeals to your own confirmation bias.
Funny Face Reaction GIF by TikTok

has everything to do with owners deciding to spend or not.
Absolutely right. Only Tottenham, Liverpool and Burnley (and in that order) amongst EPL clubs have been profitable over the last decade (according to Swiss Ramble, although I’m not sure exactly what years he looked at).
Liverpool have probably made a billion pounds more than us over that period anyway so they still have a massive advantage with equally ‘greedy owners’.
ENIC just won’t spend more than they have to.

It’s amazing what signing a couple of flavour of the month players does for a clubs reputation

They finished ahead of us by one point last season, a season in which we were a fucking basket case
Whatever about being a “better club”, with Kane all but out the door, bar Son (if he can recapture his form and Romero, is there anyone in Villas starting team that wouldn’t start for us?

Whatever about being a “better club”, with Kane all but out the door, bar Son (if he can recapture his form and Romero, is there anyone in Villas starting team that wouldn’t start for us?

I wouldn't take a single one of their central midfielders to start for us when everyone's fit.

They don’t have a CM that starts over Bissouma or Maddison

Udogie is better than their LBs

Royal better than their RBs

Watkins is getting nowhere near Brazils 3rd 11 let alone starting over Richy. Sure he had a better season but I wouldn’t swap them.

Son obviously better than their LW

They beat us at LCB

GK has to go to the WC at this point

I'd take Bissouma over Kamara, Maddison over Douglas Luiz, Romero over Konsa, Emerson over Matty Cash, probably Udogie over Digne as well.

Theres no way Ange lasts 12 to 18 months if the results are bad. Unlike Mourinho or Conte, Ange simply doesnt have the resumé to give him the benefit of the doubt if shit goes downhill fast.

And yet, who else does Levy employ if he were to sacrifice another manager to the ENIC meatgrinder?
Ange has no real kudos. I think he only got the gig bcos of Mann. The stand out candidates were JN and Poch but we distanced ourselves from them both, he has no real clout and I can envisage a situation where HE calls out le y abd the club and resigns. He knows full well he was t first choice and if he does t get backed ( as long it isn’t Gallagher his after) he will resign. Himself .

Back
Top Bottom