Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is that you stepping back and looking at it objectively?

Im not sure you or I would even be capable of doing that considering how much time is spent talking about spurs and having very, very strong personal opinions about the goings on at the club.

I genuinely couldn't trust you to be objective about it any more than I could.

What will be interesting is to read what someone with the ability to be objective about it thinks and we will likely be able to see that come the end of the window

In that context, I'm definitely not objective.

I'd guess any objective observer of our window after the deadline will also be coloured by the recent results and vibe around the new manager.

Fans always have experience baked in.

As objectively as possible:

Vicario, VDV, Maddison are 3 legit 1st 11 stars that make us much better.

That's great transfer business to nail all 3 like that.

BUT

If we end the window with Dier and Sanchez, without a 3rd CB option, that's negligence for a team with ambitions to win things.

Maybe still not objective but it's the best I have.

HG isn't of immediate importance this season... We're not gonna spend 50m because of it.
With a bucketload of salt, as far as I can decipher wot the "ITKs" on the other site are channelling, here iis my paraphrase:

------------------------------------------------------

Paratici & our scouts have done a good job in overhauling the quality of the Academy & securing the best talents on longer term deals. The club is confident we will produce a couple of Club HG talents of genuine quality in the next 2 seasons (eg continued development of the likes of Scarlett, Devine, and our increasingly impressive U21 & U18 teams).

However, with Kane & Winks leaving, and Tanganga & Sessegnon likely to go, we have a potential short term HG problem, particularly if we qualify for Europe next season.

Brennan Johnson is seen as a good HG acquisition, and we can do a deal with Forest (to help / exploit their FFP situation) to get one or more of our "for sale" list out of the door for decent money.

Ange thinks BJ is a player with good attributes & the right character, and someone he can develop.

----------------------------------------

That said, the other site's head honcho has now bumped their Marcus Edwards thread, and Marcus is not just Home Grown, but Club HG for European competitions.

Edwards ticks almost all the same boxes as Johnson, apart from not having played regularly in the PL.

I can't see us signing both Brennan Johnson & Marcus Edwards.

I’m on board with Johnson now even if I only really understand the signing for pace but I’m hoping to see the other reasons.

It’s not snobbery because he’s scored more goals or got more assists.

People just watch football and have different options. Williams and Doku are 1v1 wingers that are very different in style. Doku was one I brought up early in the summer and people poo poo’d it because of his injuries.

There will never be a signing everyone wants. That’s not snobbery. Domestic players are likely that people see more of them and they cost more.
For me the difference between opinions and snobbery comes down to how entrenched some people are when they don't like a player. If I have an opinion but someone can show me some statistics or explain to me why they would work well in our team then my opinion can be changed or influenced.

The snobbery part is when I read that player X is the one we 'must' have, player Y is 'shit and a waste of money'. So blinkered.

If as suggested our manager rates player Y and thinks that is who he wants to work with and will best benefit the team going forward then I far more inclined to listen and have my opinion altered than a poster who spends too much time in front of you tube.

And this is not aimed at you by the way, just my continued frustration that some posters believe their opinion is the only one that counts.

Hojbjerg sale could be legit devastating to our season if Bissouma was to pick up anything approaching a serious injury. There's that to consider.
Yes. But if yanited & AtMad have both told his agent they want him as a first team player, I can't imagine PEH would want to stay at Spurs as squad depth, just in case one of our first choice CMs gets crocked.

As always, there's what the club want and what the player & his agent will accept when other big clubs are whispering in their ear.

Plus if by Xmas Rodrigo Bentancur is getting back to his previous form, he is a better fit for Ange's midfield than PEH.

Bentancur would fill in. Sarr would fill Benta's place. And we'd still have Skipp and GLC on the bench. It'll be a setback, for sure, but not exactly disastrous.
Don't like Bentancur much for the 6 role, hopefully I'm wrong. And even if he is a good fit, very difficult to expect him to be at a physical level to be as involved as we'll require of that position coming back from the acl. Skipp shaping into a pretty low level PL player on the last year of evidence, and shy of the ball. Sarr untested as a 6, and a lot to ask of a 20yo. Lo Celso not a fit.

In that context, I'm definitely not objective.

I'd guess any objective observer of our window after the deadline will also be coloured by the recent results and vibe around the new manager.

Fans always have experience baked in.

As objectively as possible:

Vicario, VDV, Maddison are 3 legit 1st 11 stars that make us much better.

That's great transfer business to nail all 3 like that.

BUT

If we end the window with Dier and Sanchez, without a 3rd CB option, that's negligence for a team with ambitions to win things.

Maybe still not objective but it's the best I have.

I'd pretty much agree with that.

Again agree. It's more the players around him because he does what he is good at pretty well as far as I see it.

For example he would be really good at City because they have the ball players.

I would be inclined to see what a Bissouna, Hjojberg, Maddison midfield looked like because I think selling carries more risk than benefit, if we are not adding and ahead of Bentancur's return..
Interesting comparison. I suspect Cities worst cloggers are better footballers than most teams have.
It's something we've really fallen foul of for years, we buy players without really finding out if they're technically good enough.

Let’s have the BC assessment please?

Seems well within our budget range, who would he immediately displace?

Barcola can play across the front 3 but has been used mostly as a right footed right forward. He’s quick, technically good and shows good composure, gets his head up, can score and create good chances for others. If you like basic goal/assist stats he had 5 goals and 8 assists in 1400 minutes last season. XA90 was 0.34 - better than any of our players last season.

I’d put him in that Plea/Aubameyang type of “wide forward” player. Still only 20yo.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVjoJZTivM

Maybe this is what Ange and co are seeing in Brennan Johnson. His championship highlights look a good bit better than what I've seen of him in the PL.

Maybe they're hoping in that in a better team he can take a step up and show that little bit of extra finesse and composure he wasn't showing in the PL.

That's the thing with highlights though, how many crosses, shots, good buildup were fluffed before he managed to get the ones that ended up in highlights.

His EPL highlight reel was decent too tbf.

The trick is being able to see past Forest's teams level & game-play and project whether he can do even better for us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom