Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Milan are after him too.

Would make sense. Good player for smaller outlay as long as you don’t have an issue with wages.

Mad thing is most Spurs fans would see Guirassy as a cheap option and the club not being ambitious but probably if we did sign him it would have been because we actually competed with big clubs to get him.

Probably better than one of the most overrated players in the Prem.

I hope you are not his agent he will end up at Darlington

Ok then definitely better 😂😂

I only said Trossard because the self hate crew love to have massive crywanks about Trosssard and CHO is a totally different level of talent. If he gets consistent as he matures, he’s a player with the ability to start for any team in the prem.

It always makes me laugh when people use Chelsea as an example to justify their “spending money doesn’t always bring success” argument when they're only referring to the Chelsea of the last year. Have you seen Chelsea’s trophy cabinet in the period since we last won a trophy? What would you put that success down to?

United are probably the only club you could make a semi valid argument where there spending hasn’t equalled success but even at that they’ve won two League Cups, an FA Cup and a Europa League since 2013, all trophies were would give anything to get our hands on.

Pleased I could give you a chuckle.

The argument is that spending doesn't guarantee anything.

It doesn't.

Oh God

You can just picture Daniel Levy right now, can't you

hannibal-lecter-talking.gif

Edit: you can see why he'd be happy to have big Ange out of the way in Germany for the month as he sniffs around a potential Forest fire sale

Last edited:
We already need to shift 9 players and bring in 6 this summer.

In no world are we also trying to sell Johnson and Kulu as well mate
We won't. But selling one of them - preferably Johnson - is what a ruthless and ambitious club would do. We cant expect to compete for anything next year if we have 80m worth of sub par RW back ups on the bench.

The argument is that spending doesn't guarantee anything.
True. But equally, wage bill is the most accurate predictor of league position. It's no surprise we have routinely finished 5th-6th these past 5 years given that's where we place in the wage bill league too.

I know Levy likes his precious wage:revenue ratio low but if we're going to win trophies at some point we're going to have to start competing on wages with the top clubs in the league.

£50 million? VdV cost approx £35 million. Anything further to that was performance related add ons.

Whilst I wouldn’t call VDV a “punt” if we’re going by our traditional punts, our first choice target was evidently Tapsoba. We seemingly negotiated both prices to death and VDV came out as the cheaper option, so as per our transfer policy, we went for him.

It worked out thankfully on this occasion (even though Tapsoba would likely have been an equally excellent signing) but it’s a flawed policy that has a higher miss than hit rate.
The concept of "first choice" is what exactly?

a) The first name linked to us in a position
b) The 5th name linked to us in a position but in the eyes of the fans is better than the other 4
c) Were linked with the player in previous windows
d) Is the most expensive out of the other players were are linked with

The answer is none of these. No one knows who is the "first choice" target for a position (unless it directly comes from the lips of the manager). Everything is framed around what's been pushed in the press and then how fans choice to filter that info.

Back
Top Bottom