Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

True. But equally, wage bill is the most accurate predictor of league position. It's no surprise we have routinely finished 5th-6th these past 5 years given that's where we place in the wage bill league too.

I know Levy likes his precious wage:revenue ratio low but if we're going to win trophies at some point we're going to have to start competing on wages with the top clubs in the league.

Absolutely agree.

Thing is this scavenging around FFP threatened clubs hasnt exactly worked for us the last 2 summers. Richarlison and Johnson arent dreadful but both now seemingly squad players and both we overpaid by around £15m on. I'm not sure we're as clever as we think we are.

Last edited:
He had 15 this season and missed enough chances that you'd expect him to finish. 15 is an absolute baseline for output from Johnson and I don't even think that's controversial.
He'll have to hit 35 to make up for the glaring deficiencies in his game. Nunez hit well over 30G/A last year and I dont think many would buy him as our main striker.

True. But equally, wage bill is the most accurate predictor of league position. It's no surprise we have routinely finished 5th-6th these past 5 years given that's where we place in the wage bill league too.

I know Levy likes his precious wage:revenue ratio low but if we're going to win trophies at some point we're going to have to start competing on wages with the top clubs in the league.

Yep Yes GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E

If more Spurs fans stopped throwing hissy fits about transfer fees and put more pressure and attention on the wages we offer for top talent, we might get somewhere.

He'll have to hit 35 to make up for the glaring deficiencies in his game. Nunez hit well over 30G/A last year and I dont think many would buy him as our main striker.

Nunez had 19 G+As in the prem.

Johnson had 15.

Nunez is a year older and cost over double the money, before you even count the difference in wages earned. If we are bringing up Darwin, Brennan Johnson was a stone-cold bargain. I don't think it's even a debate which one of the two you'd prefer to have in your squad next season.

Johnson will have a long prem career with plenty of goals and assists. Darwin is headed into the abyss of loan with options at desperate European clubs before finally landing in the MLS.

Watched this earlier today, and I've got to say I really like this guys content, either I agree with much of what he says or he's opened my eyes to something I hadn't noticed.

The reason I'm posting in here is he does a few minutes on Conor Gallagher, specifically what he does when on the ball, the context of this video is about what Chavs are under Poch vs what the owners want them to be, therefore, picks Gallagher vs Caisedo as key to the stylistic differences between Poch and owners.

I found the whole vid really interesting but if you want to look just at the Gallagher stuff (**It's not a specific Gallagher segment, just a Chav team fit segment**) then jump to 9:25

View: https://youtu.be/-EWpBqceds8?si=YYqLWrXTKT0jUGdY

Nunez had 19 G+As in the prem.

Johnson had 15.

Nunez is a year older and cost over double the money, before you even count the difference in wages earned. If we are bringing up Darwin, Brennan Johnson was a stone-cold bargain. I don't think it's even a debate which one of the two you'd prefer to have in your squad next season.

Johnson will have a long prem career with plenty of goals and assists. Darwin is headed into the abyss of loan with options at desperate European clubs before finally landing in the MLS.
Don't particularly rate Darwin but I'd still 1000% take him over Johnson. And I'd expect that to be the broad consensus of neutrals.

Look it seems we're going down another Brennan shaped rabbit hole which clearly won't get us very far. Let's just say you reckon he'll get 25 league G/A next year, I reckon he'll be benched and back at Forest in two. We'll see who's closer ;)

Watched this earlier today, and I've got to say I really like this guys content, either I agree with much of what he says or he's opened my eyes to something I hadn't noticed.

The reason I'm posting in here is he does a few minutes on Conor Gallagher, specifically what he does when on the ball, the context of this video is about what Chavs are under Poch vs what the owners want them to be, therefore, picks Gallagher vs Caisedo as key to the stylistic differences between Poch and owners.

I found the whole vid really interesting but if you want to look just at the Gallagher stuff (**It's not a specific Gallagher segment, just a Chav team fit segment**) then jump to 9:25

Four Four Two is quietly becoming a really good tactics channel. Just wish they had the rights to game footage.

Good watch and get why you shared for Gallagher.

Makes it sound like he'd fit our press perfectly but we'd still need to play him with a more creative 8 at all times. Which is most likely what Ange would do.

If we ONLY sign him and he is our main wide forward purchase.

if we get rid of Gil, Solomon and Werner we will have space for a backup winger.

Would he be terrible for that?
Depends how much forest want for him. I dont rate him. I wouldn't pay anything over 15 million and forest would want much more.

The concept of "first choice" is what exactly?
I guess they make a list of potential transfers for each position required, the one at the top of the list is first choice. I reckon our first choice keeper for last season's transfer window was Raya but it didn't work out so Vicario was probably our second choice.

Good watch and get why you shared for Gallagher.

Makes it sound like he'd fit our press perfectly but we'd still need to play him with a more creative 8 at all times. Which is most likely what Ange would do.
Yeah.

For me, my take on why Ange likes him is because of his pressing, he's a pressing monster and does the work of several players (I also think he's highly versatile too).

I found this tiny segment on him very interesting as its focus is on what he does on the ball and I liked the comparison being made between Caisedo and him and where they are perhaps the too big variances in the directions of styles between what the club vs Poch want.

Yeah.

For me, my take on why Ange likes him is because of his pressing, he's a pressing monster and does the work of several players (I also think he's highly versatile too).

I found this tiny segment on him very interesting as its focus is on what he does on the ball and I liked the comparison being made between Caisedo and him and where they are perhaps the too big variances in the directions of styles between what the club vs Poch want.

He's a pressing monster with an eye for goal and decent shooting technique.

In the last few games of the season we have seen Sarr play more of the 6 responsibilities as well as also some false 9. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Ange play both Sarr and Gallagher together with Maddison as the more attacking 8.

I know there are a few on here that would prefer Ederson for that 8 role but tbh I'm still leaning towards Gallagher after his late season form in a similar role he'd play for us. Plus it would piss those cunts off no end.

Just read this on Ederson and even if I didn't see the Europa final, this description matches more what I saw in the game I watched (way more detailed and better analysis obviously). 50m for Ederson or 35m for Gallagher and adding a HG leader to the squad only adds more fuel to me doing a complete 180 towards Gallagher.

View: https://x.com/TheSpursScout/status/1776248140787527966

I guess they make a list of potential transfers for each position required, the one at the top of the list is first choice. I reckon our first choice keeper for last season's transfer window was Raya but it didn't work out so Vicario was probably our second choice.
But you don't know if Raya was at the top of the list. Sure the noise was around him and no one else at the time but this doesn't mean we weren't also talking with Vicarrio, or that we spoke with him first, at the same time etc...

I'd challenge that further.

Paratici is famous for telling each of his targets that they are his "first choice". We are seeing this kinda playout in the press just in the last 4 or 5 days, we are linked with about 5 CB's at the moment. Some could be we are genuinely interested, or lukewarm (we aren't interested but making out we are in order to show the Club who is our top target that we have 4 other players we are considering, trying to create the illusion we aren't desperate and therefore fucked on price etc..).

No one knows other than those doing the profiling and scouting and even then that final, final draft is only known by DoF, the manager and Levy because they would have to sound out if targets are receptive (player & selling club) to a move.

But you don't know if Raya was at the top of the list. Sure the noise was around him and no one else at the time but this doesn't mean we weren't also talking with Vicarrio, or that we spoke with him first, at the same time etc...

I'd challenge that further.

Paratici is famous for telling each of his targets that they are his "first choice". We are seeing this kinda playout in the press just in the last 4 or 5 days, we are linked with about 5 CB's at the moment. Some could be we are genuinely interested, or lukewarm (we aren't interested but making out we are in order to show the Club who is our top target that we have 4 other players we are considering, trying to create the illusion we aren't desperate and therefore fucked on price etc..).

No one knows other than those doing the profiling and scouting and even then that final, final draft is only known by DoF, the manager and Levy because they would have to sound out if targets are receptive (player & selling club) to a move.
Yeah we were probably speaking to Vicario as well as Raya last year, didn't we have a bid rejected for Raya so we chose Vicario and that bid was accepted?

Maybe I'm not remembering it properly.

Back
Top Bottom