Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thing is this scavenging around FFP threatened clubs hasnt exactly worked for us the last 2 summers. Richarlison and Johnson arent dreadful but both now seemingly squad players and both we overpayed by around £15m on. I'm not sure we're as clever as we think we are.

It really is getting on my tits. So much for Levy moving away from the footballing side and transfers. This has all his hallmarks. It was so obvious he would never step away despite the PR.

He's a pressing monster with an eye for goal and decent shooting technique.

In the last few games of the season we have seen Sarr play more of the 6 responsibilities as well as also some false 9. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Ange play both Sarr and Gallagher together with Maddison as the more attacking 8.

I know there are a few on here that would prefer Ederson for that 8 role but tbh I'm still leaning towards Gallagher after his late season form in a similar role he'd play for us. Plus it would piss those cunts off no end.

Just read this on Ederson and even if I didn't see the Europa final, this description matches more what I saw in the game I watched (way more detailed and better analysis obviously). 50m for Ederson or 35m for Gallagher and adding a HG leader to the squad only adds more fuel to me doing a complete 180 towards Gallagher.

View: https://x.com/TheSpursScout/status/1776248140787527966

Yep leaning towards Gallagher over Ederson too. Mainly cos of that sexy man bun, but also: he's HG, cheaper, captain, knows the league, speaks the language, it fucks blue scum, and he seems a bit more versatile, offers more of an attacking threat, can play double pivot, #8 or high pressing #10.

I just dont want it to get in the way of our other targets. Under 35m then fine, any more just move on and make Chelsea sweat over FFP.

Last edited:
Yeah we were probably speaking to Vicario as well as Raya last year, didn't we have a bid rejected for Raya so we chose Vicario and that bid was accepted?

Maybe I'm not remembering it properly.
I can't remember if we bid or not either. I do recall his price was ridiculous though something like £40m??? Brentford were certainly being awkward bastards, and probably would have drawn out the deal until the last few days, which is another reason for having a list of players to make considerations from, some can be got and integrated into the team for pre-season????

Nunez had 19 G+As in the prem.

Johnson had 15.

Nunez is a year older and cost over double the money, before you even count the difference in wages earned. If we are bringing up Darwin, Brennan Johnson was a stone-cold bargain. I don't think it's even a debate which one of the two you'd prefer to have in your squad next season.

Johnson will have a long prem career with plenty of goals and assists. Darwin is headed into the abyss of loan with options at desperate European clubs before finally landing in the MLS.
I’d absolutely bite your hand off to have Nunez and swap him for Johnson in a heartbeat.

Watched this earlier today, and I've got to say I really like this guys content, either I agree with much of what he says or he's opened my eyes to something I hadn't noticed.

The reason I'm posting in here is he does a few minutes on Conor Gallagher, specifically what he does when on the ball, the context of this video is about what Chavs are under Poch vs what the owners want them to be, therefore, picks Gallagher vs Caisedo as key to the stylistic differences between Poch and owners.

I found the whole vid really interesting but if you want to look just at the Gallagher stuff (**It's not a specific Gallagher segment, just a Chav team fit segment**) then jump to 9:25

View: https://youtu.be/-EWpBqceds8?si=YYqLWrXTKT0jUGdY

Yes the presenter is really good. Very watchable.

Can see why Ange would want him. He'd really help fill in and cover the fullbacks defensively as an eight while still be able to get forward.

I wouldnt be surprised if he is played deeper breaking up play.

But what is more than likely if we sign him is that he'll come and get a bad injury and then come back and his effectiveness greatly reduced and we'd be left with another midfield plodder. It is the Spurs way.

I think gibbs white would improve us but Hudson odoi is definitely more of the same in terms of what we have

Gibbs White is all fart and no poo. His numbers are terrible. Eze is the one if we want HG to challenge Maddison. However I expect we could pick up a cultured 10 from the continent a lot cheaper than both who would be suitable for what we need to come in for Maddison. Lo Celso is close but with his obvious limitiations.

I’d absolutely bite your hand off to have Nunez and swap him for Johnson in a heartbeat.

Fair enough. Each to their own. Nunez is toast at Liverpool though. Unless Slot decides that a player who fell out with Klopp is the perfect way to stamp his new found authority... There is a 0.01% chance any other prem club wants to help Liverpool out of that hole as well.

Gibbs White is all fart and no poo. His numbers are terrible. Eze is the one if we want HG to challenge Maddison. However I expect we could pick up a cultured 10 from the continent a lot cheaper than both who would be suitable for what we need to come in for Maddison. Lo Celso is close but with his obvious limitiations.
Eze is the one I want to be honest. Play madders and Eze and have a monster sitting. Now yer talking 🤣🤣🤣

It is quite amusing that we are seemingly after a creative midfielder and winger from one prem club, who are both homegrown and its not Eze and Olise but the pound shop version from a skint club.

Ok, the Forest 2 will probably set us back around £75m and the Palace 2 £130m but sometimes you do get what you pay for. Eze and Olise would transform us, the Forest 2 would be more squad filler. Its a false economy.

He's a pressing monster with an eye for goal and decent shooting technique.

In the last few games of the season we have seen Sarr play more of the 6 responsibilities as well as also some false 9. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Ange play both Sarr and Gallagher together with Maddison as the more attacking 8.

I know there are a few on here that would prefer Ederson for that 8 role but tbh I'm still leaning towards Gallagher after his late season form in a similar role he'd play for us. Plus it would piss those cunts off no end.

Just read this on Ederson and even if I didn't see the Europa final, this description matches more what I saw in the game I watched (way more detailed and better analysis obviously). 50m for Ederson or 35m for Gallagher and adding a HG leader to the squad only adds more fuel to me doing a complete 180 towards Gallagher.

View: https://x.com/TheSpursScout/status/1776248140787527966

not really a proper DM. but I get that Ange doesn't want traditional rigid positional based players so in that respect he's probably a good buy over a Gallagher.
cost a whole lot of money right now though, and probably some giant clubs interested

not really a proper DM. but I get that Ange doesn't want traditional rigid positional based players so in that respect he's probably a good buy over a Gallagher.
cost a whole lot of money right now though, and probably some giant clubs interested

Ederson is like Gallagher in that he's definitely not a 6 but can win duels and get you the ball back.

I think we are wasting our time discussing it though. I'd guess Gallagher will be the first one through the door when the window opens. I've made peace with it and even starting to see why it might be a good idea.

If they decide the extra 15m is worth it for Ederson then fair play to that as well. I think both give us more than Hojberg or Lo Celso

I really don’t see Eze as the guy who’s going to get to the end-line and fizz in a low cross into the box. That’s a must have for an Ange winger.

It's a conundrum for sure. I don't actually see how we sign a player like Eze or MGW to cover/compete with Maddison when we have so much other business to do.

Maybe they see Gallagher as able to play like a pressing 8/10 when Maddison is out but with 2 competitions there is no way we are expecting Maddison to play every game and we saw what happened last season when he was out. Bergvall maybe is cover for Maddison but he's very young to lean on like that.

Devine could be a darkhorse to stick around and earn a chance in pre-season.

That’s why the assist stat is misleading. You could have a player beat 3 players then play in another player who then just simply squares it for another player to score. Who gets the assist? Normally there is always some else before the player who makes the final assist that does the hard work. Just imagine how many balls Glenn would have slide ruled dissecting defences to say waddle who then crosses the ball for Allen to score. Hence I don’t pay too much note of Johnson or Werner’s assist.
yea exactly. sometimes the assist of the assist was the actual work that created the goal.

Back
Top Bottom