Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can't play those two together. If we think our midfield is porous now it would be awful with those two in it....even with a monster DM.
I was kidding to a certain extent mate but against teams that sit in and don’t really try come out especially at home then we need more of this creative type of player rather than looking for Sarr,Bentancur or Biss to open a team up. They can’t do it and that was a problem at times last season.

Nunez had 19 G+As in the prem.

Johnson had 15.

Nunez is a year older and cost over double the money, before you even count the difference in wages earned. If we are bringing up Darwin, Brennan Johnson was a stone-cold bargain. I don't think it's even a debate which one of the two you'd prefer to have in your squad next season.

Johnson will have a long prem career with plenty of goals and assists. Darwin is headed into the abyss of loan with options at desperate European clubs before finally landing in the MLS.

I’d swap Johnson for Nunez yesterday. Not only did he have more goal involvements, he works his nuts off for the team and can genuinely play three positions. I’d swap him for Richarlison too.

Last edited:
Can't play those two together. If we think our midfield is porous now it would be awful with those two in it....even with a monster DM.

Why can’t these two play together ? Our midfield was bad not because they couldn’t defend. We didn’t have anyone who was good on the ball.

We need more ball playing midfielders

I’d swap Johnson for Nunez yesterday. Not only did he have more goal involvements, he works his nuts off for the team and can genuinely play three positions. Hell, I’d swap him for Richarlison too.
I’d take Nunez every day of the week over Johnson and Richarlison. I bet if you asked defenders whe they’d dislike playing against them most it would be Nunez. He’s not clinical but has real moments of brilliance,uses his pace because he wants to run in behind and works like fuck. I don’t see real quality in any part of Johnson’s or Richy’s games.

If Forest have to sell to meet FFP and we want a homegrown winger from there. Why not target Elanga instead of CHO? Both are homegrown dribbly wingers with pace. But Elanga is outperforming CHO in the G/A department by a decent margin.

I’d take Nunez every day of the week over Johnson and Richarlison. I bet if you asked defenders whe they’d dislike playing against them most it would be Nunez. He’s not clinical but has real moments of brilliance,uses his pace because he wants to run in behind and works like fuck. I don’t see real quality in any part of Johnson’s or Richy’s games.

Sorry I’m usually agreeing with a load of your posts but I’ve never seen a moment of brilliant anything from Darwin.

The best compliment you can give him is that he’s chaotic. He pulls off Ronny Rosenthals career miss catalogue every game.

It's a conundrum for sure. I don't actually see how we sign a player like Eze or MGW to cover/compete with Maddison when we have so much other business to do.

Maybe they see Gallagher as able to play like a pressing 8/10 when Maddison is out but with 2 competitions there is no way we are expecting Maddison to play every game and we saw what happened last season when he was out. Bergvall maybe is cover for Maddison but he's very young to lean on like that.

Devine could be a darkhorse to stick around and earn a chance in pre-season.

Maybe that’s why any links to this type of player have dried up?

Not to say we won’t revisit it at some point but I suspect it isn’t a priority right now over a winger, striker and midfielder.

Watched this earlier today, and I've got to say I really like this guys content, either I agree with much of what he says or he's opened my eyes to something I hadn't noticed.

The reason I'm posting in here is he does a few minutes on Conor Gallagher, specifically what he does when on the ball, the context of this video is about what Chavs are under Poch vs what the owners want them to be, therefore, picks Gallagher vs Caisedo as key to the stylistic differences between Poch and owners.

I found the whole vid really interesting but if you want to look just at the Gallagher stuff (**It's not a specific Gallagher segment, just a Chav team fit segment**) then jump to 9:25

View: https://youtu.be/-EWpBqceds8?si=YYqLWrXTKT0jUGdY

I read a similar theory as to why the Chelsea bods and Poch did don’t see eye to eye stylistically, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense. Poch is a “possession” guy. They average 59%, only 3% less than us in second to ManC 65%. Potter was a possession guy grumbled even less than Poch. They sacked him even quicker.

The other issue suggested in the Athletic piece was that whilst they often dominated against lesser teams, they couldn’t always control games, and against better teams they couldn’t always dominate the ball. Against us for example they only had 30 odd percent of the ball etc. Their run in was pretty easy, last top team they played they were spanked 5-0 by Woolwich.

Also comparing Enzo v Liverpool in a cup final to Gallagher in a home game v Bournemouth is a bit shonky. Over the last year v Midfielders, Enzo’s in the top 97 percentile for progressive passes

The problem is more likely to be - as also stated in the Athletic article, the board feeling Poch was not making best use of the players he had. Gallagher as a 10 nearly all season, instead of say Palmer, whilst Enzo in the DP cm. Colwell as a LB constantly,

Last edited:
I was kidding to a certain extent mate but against teams that sit in and don’t really try come out especially at home then we need more of this creative type of player rather than looking for Sarr,Bentancur or Biss to open a team up. They can’t do it and that was a problem at times last season.

Yeah I know and do agree. We need to break down teams better.

I genuinely think Eze and Maddison should fight for the same place that's how you build a winning team.Eze has better end product than MGW. It has to be an actual contest for your place that'sEze. I'd take ONLY Danilo from NF he's a big lad natural left footed, can covet LCB in a crisis. But a left footed sitting center mid would work really well considering Udogie wandering from that side. It's not sexy but it's a clever buy.

Maybe that’s why any links to this type of player have dried up?

Not to say we won’t revisit it at some point but I suspect it isn’t a priority right now over a winger, striker and midfielder.

That’s the issue with Hojberg sticking around for a season. It just delayed a job that needed to get done and now we have a backlog.

Lo Celso was actually useful for the odd game and I get why Ange had a look but that’s also a job that needs doing now.

Why can’t these two play together ? Our midfield was bad not because they couldn’t defend. We didn’t have anyone who was good on the ball.

We need more ball playing midfielders

Yeah I agree with this too, we definitely need more technical players, but we can’t give up defensive security at the same time.

We play Maddison and Son on the same side now. Son is all in for effort pressing but in our 3rd, he's never been a defender.
Pretty sure he's talking Eze and Maddison as #8s.

And he's right - they can't play together in the midfield if we want to concede less than 100 goals next season. Neither are interested in defending.

He has been playing like a wide 10 for Glasner. he can definitely play LW in our system, especially if it was him and Maddison rotating
Wide 10 in a 3-4-3 is not the same as a touchline winger. As anyone who watched Son under Conte last season should be able to tell you.

As for Eze, he's simply not a wide winger. Ask any Palace fan - he's useless out there. Always cutting inside, never going down the line. He'd be like Grealish on steroids.

Back
Top Bottom