Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wide 10 in a 3-4-3 is not the same as a touchline winger. As anyone who watched Son under Conte last season should be able to tell you.

As for Eze, he's simply not a wide winger. Ask any Palace fan - he's useless out there. Always cutting inside, never going down the line. He'd be like Grealish on steroids.
Fair enough.

That’s the issue we have though. We need cover/competition for Maddison because he’s not playing every game of 2 competitions.

But I don’t see it getting done this summer

Fair enough.

That’s the issue we have though. We need cover/competition for Maddison because he’s not playing every game of 2 competitions.

But I don’t see it getting done this summer
Personally I'd keep Lo Celso and just fucking play him; we're not getting any money for him anyway. And then use any of Kulu, Donley, Moore, Bergvall to fill in at #10 if they're both unavailable.

Eze is a great player who I really like as a Maddison CAM alternative. And if we had City levels of money then yes I'd be all over it. But we don't, and we have more pressing needs in the squad to fill first.

If Eze is being bought as a LW the club is really missing a trick, he ain't one.

If we're going after either of the Palace players it should be Olise, he's the better of the two and we need a starting RW much more than we need CAM rotation.

Last edited:
I genuinely think Eze and Maddison should fight for the same place that's how you build a winning team.Eze has better end product than MGW. It has to be an actual contest for your place that'sEze. I'd take ONLY Danilo from NF he's a big lad natural left footed, can covet LCB in a crisis. But a left footed sitting center mid would work really well considering Udogie wandering from that side. It's not sexy but it's a clever buy.
If I had to pick one from Forest it would be Danilo

I read a similar theory as to why the Chelsea bods and Poch did don’t see eye to eye stylistically, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense. Poch is a “possession” guy. They average 59%, only 3% less than us in second to ManC 65%. Potter was a possession guy grumbled even less than Poch. They sacked him even quicker.

The other issue suggested in the Athletic piece was that whilst they often dominated against lesser teams, they couldn’t always control games, and against better teams they couldn’t always dominate the ball. Against us for example they only had 30 odd percent of the ball etc. Their run in was pretty easy, last top team they played they were spanked 5-0 by Woolwich.

Also comparing Enzo v Liverpool in a cup final to Gallagher in a home game v Bournemouth is a bit shonky. Over the last year v Midfielders, Enzo’s in the top 97 percentile for forward passes

The problem is more likely to be - as also stated in the Athletic article, the board feeling Poch was not making best use of the players he had. Gallagher as a 10 nearly all season, instead of say Palmer, whilst Enzo in the DP cm. Colwell as a LB constantly,
Yeh usually I rate those vids but I thought this one was a bit of a mish mash.

Yes Poch is a more vertical manager than say Pep but he's still heavy on the possession.

They're saying he prefers energy bunnies like Gallagher to Enzo, but for us he used Eriksen, Dembele, and Winks to great effect in our midfield, none of whom were elite pressers, all of whom were more about the possession. Eriksen had a good engine for a time but a Gallagher he was not. The only elite presser in our front six was Dele.

They also reference the Poch pressing stats at Chelsea, saying they didn't lead to chance creation, so therefore it was ineffective. But that's never the purpose of Poch's press, he's not a gegenpressing manager. The press was about winning back possession, often by forcing teams to kick long, and then we'd start building the attack again from deep. It wasn't about counter pressing Klopp style, we'd rarely create chances immediately after winning the ball high up.

Personally I'd keep Lo Celso and just fucking play him; we're not getting any money for him anyway. And then use any of Kulu, Donley, Moore, Bergvall to fill in at #10 if they're both unavailable.

Eze is a great player who I really like as a Maddison CAM alternative. And if we had City levels of money then yes I'd be all over it. But we don't, and we have more pressing needs in the squad to fill first.

If Eze is being bought as a LW the club is really missing a trick, he ain't one.

If we're going after either of the Palace players it should be Olise, he's the better of the two and we need a starting RW much more than we need CAM rotation.

I think a lot of us want to see Lo Celso play but he’s never fit.

Wide 10 in a 3-4-3 is not the same as a touchline winger. As anyone who watched Son under Conte last season should be able to tell you.

As for Eze, he's simply not a wide winger. Ask any Palace fan - he's useless out there. Always cutting inside, never going down the line. He'd be like Grealish on steroids.
not many wide players who just hug the touch line up and down and whip in balls from that area. He’ll come inside sure but when he does he can stand people up and take it past them on either side much more than a Kulusveski or even say Olise who almost never goes on the outside of a defender when coming in.

Pretty sure he's talking Eze and Maddison as #8s.

And he's right - they can't play together in the midfield if we want to concede less than 100 goals next season. Neither are interested in defending.

Maddison and Eze together equals 100 goals conceded ? There’s no way you believe this to be true.

Then again we heard all last summer how doomed we were if Porro and Udogie played in a back 4.

Back
Top Bottom