Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not at 21 he wasn’t.

Sarr was carrying a back injury when his form dipped but that’s also something players need to learn, how to maintain your form when playing with a knock. Often young kids are under the illusion that the majority of their career won’t involve carrying at least 1 knock
Sarr doesn’t deserve the stick he gets. Lots of games this season where in the 2nd half’s it is him who often introduced that extra energy to get the team going. Sure his not the finished article however his 2 years younger than Johnson and plays in the engine room. First full season the PL. Yet Johnson gets an all this oh his young, new club, blah blah blah. So Sarr sure deserves more credit.

Sarr doesn’t deserve the stick he gets. Lots of games this season where in the 2nd half’s it is him who often introduced that extra energy to get the team going. Sure his not the finished article however his 2 years younger than Johnson and plays in the engine room. First full season the PL. Yet Johnson gets an all this oh his young, new club, blah blah blah. So Sarr sure deserves more credit.
You know I was right there with you, finger hovering over the agree button, but you couldn't help yourself could you? You just HAD to use it as a vehicle to attack Johnson.

The only surprise is that you didn't somehow manage to shoehorn Kulusevski into the attack as well.

Fair point, but then have a look at us when we were playing at our best at the start of the season. We didn't really have a deep lying midfielder. We may have started with Bissouma in the deepest position, but we were waxing lyrical about him weighing in with goals if his finishing matched his dribbling ability. At times he was ending up as our furthest advanced player.

That mostly arose because of the communication and understanding in our midfield, particularly between him and Sarr. You don't have to be a midfield double pivot to achieve this, you just have to understand that when your midfield partners are advanced, you need to take the responsibility to hang back as support or protection.

When we were purring, all of our midfielders worked in this way. Maddison was dropping in to pick the ball up and dictate tempo. He was slowing the game down then speeding it up at will, and the team responded to that. Sarr and Bissouma interchanged around him, sometimes ahead, sometimes behind, but always with that understanding of how to interact with each other.

That impetus and understanding was wrecked during the Chelsea game, where we lost Bissouma and Maddison to suspension and injury, and we never really got it back until very late in the season.

I don't like rigid roles because they're predictable. If you have a DM, it's just a matter of time before your opposition works out a way to either nullify it or bypass it. However, if you have a fluid midfield, where players can interchange going forward and backwards, you keep the opposition guessing. It's another reason why I hate the rigidly drilled "patterns" that seems to be the latest fad in Football. If you empower your players to find solutions on the pitch, they can adapt to change much better than those who are drilled into robotic movement, rather than thinking on their feet.
I’m in total agreement with all of that although at the start of the season the games where Biss was on the edge of the opponents box or in their box was in games when we had total domination like against Utd,Sheff Utd and Liverpool at home. I want to see more of that interchanging between the three midfielders more because it’s more difficult to play against and creates problems for opposition and they will lose their shape trying to combat it.
I think we’ll sign another centre midfielder and obviously Bergvall coming in will give us more of that type of option with the way he plays.
I’m an old school type that believes midfielders should be able to do the lot. Passing long and short,moving freely,hit the box,hit shots,go by players to take them out if the game and generally play the game the way we want to see it.
The game today and how it’s coached from a young age is why players are pigeonholed and ability coached out of them.

Would be 9 out of 10 window
We’d be absolutely cooking.

haunt will GIF

You know I was right there with you, finger hovering over the agree button, but you couldn't help yourself could you? You just HAD to use it as a vehicle to attack Johnson.

The only surprise is that you didn't somehow manage to shoehorn Kulusevski into the attack as well.
I was using the defence used by some people for Johnson to say why Sarr then should be afforded the same leeway.

Back
Top Bottom