Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was using the defence used by some people for Johnson to say why Sarr then should be afforded the same leeway.
You didn't need to though. Everything you wrote about Sarr is correct, you only brought Johnson into it because you don't like him.

There are very few who don't see what Sarr brings, and the potential he has. You don't see that with Johnson, and that's your prerogative, but he's only a year older than Sarr, with his own potential for growth and improvement. Forget the price tag, he's not responsible for that.

All I'm saying is that if you are prepared to show patience towards Sarr, then how about you extend that towards Johnson?

We've been linked to Hayden Hackney (as have Mancity, ManU and Liverpool), as we were in January, but he got injured just as January window opened.

We seemed not to pursue our interest in Adam Wharton (ex Blackburn) who joined Palace and has excelled in PL, making the jump from Championship with ease and called up to provisional England squad of 33 players. Wharton more of a cm than a dm.

Hackney plays as a DM in the style of Michael Carrick his manager - his passing out might be what attracts Ange. Age 21, was playing as an E u21. He and Wharton seemed to be the standout midfielders in Championship in first half of the season.

You didn't need to though. Everything you wrote about Sarr is correct, you only brought Johnson into it because you don't like him.

There are very few who don't see what Sarr brings, and the potential he has. You don't see that with Johnson, and that's your prerogative, but he's only a year older than Sarr, with his own potential for growth and improvement. Forget the price tag, he's not responsible for that.

All I'm saying is that if you are prepared to show patience towards Sarr, then how about you extend that towards Johnson?
Actually what I was trying to say is that Sarr actually didn’t do too badly for his first season at his age and will hopefully only get better. Unlike some others who said the opposite.

Actually what I was trying to say is that Sarr actually didn’t do too badly for his first season at his age and will hopefully only get better. Unlike some others who said the opposite.
That's fair enough, which was exactly what I was going to agree with.

The Johnson comments were unnecessary though, that is all.

You know I was right there with you, finger hovering over the agree button, but you couldn't help yourself could you? You just HAD to use it as a vehicle to attack Johnson.

The only surprise is that you didn't somehow manage to shoehorn Kulusevski into the attack as well.
Funnily enough I was on the fence until the Johnson comment pushed me over the edge and I was simply compelled to smash that like button

Do not see him as a 6 in anyway. He’s not got the composure or awareness to play the 6. He’s a runner who gives you energy and that’s what he’ll be used for. He’ll never play as a 6 for us.
Embarrassing take.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SrO2U_HPsU

Gorgeous first touch, lovely weighted passing, good passing range, progressive and first time passing, safe in possession, strong positionally, press resistant, and excellent in the tackle. And yes - lovely composure and awareness.

And let's remember he put in this performance in the double pivot away from home aged just 20 against the eventual UCL semi finalists having barely played a minute all season.

But a couple of mid performances in a different role in the last few months (while he's been recovering from a back injury) and you've already written him off as an energy bunny with no ability on the ball. Clueless.

Last edited:
Embarrassing take.

Gorgeous first touch, lovely weighted passing, good passing range, progressive and first time passing, safe in possession, strong positionally, press resistant, and excellent in the tackle. And yes - lovely composure and awareness.

And let's remember he put in this performance in the double pivot away from home aged just 20 against the eventual UCL semi finalists having barely played a minute all season.

But a couple of mid performances in a different role in the last few months (while he's been recovering from a back injury) and you've already written him off as an energy bunny with no ability on the ball. Clueless.

Embarrassing and clueless is a bit dramatic.

Couldn't agree more on his technical ability and football IQ being massively underrated and it's OTT to say that he's just a runner who could score some goals.

Alessandro Buongiorno linked this week. Left footed, YouTube clips look the part. CB and can put a shift in at LB it seems on tranfermarket

Buongiorno is an interesting one.

very much a Paratici link and I'm wondering how that will work in terms of priorities with Lange and the crew. There is 100% loads of crossover where Paratici's network and black book is invaluable but i also think this window is Lange's opportunity to shine and we might see him look to build on the Bergvall transfer and really put his marker down for transfers.

Just a feeling based on how it works with these things.

Embarrassing take.

Not once haves I written him off but you obviously take from what I said what you want.

He is not a player who will control or dictate a game.
He will cause teams problems with his energy and making great runs into the box and scoring goals.

If you can’t see he’s not a sitting midfielder who can will bring a calming influence and dominate a game then your eyes lie to you.

As I said before I really rate the lad but not the way a lot think he’s this bullshit generational talent crap I hear.

We've been linked to Hayden Hackney (as have Mancity, ManU and Liverpool), as we were in January, but he got injured just as January window opened.

We seemed not to pursue our interest in Adam Wharton (ex Blackburn) who joined Palace and has excelled in PL, making the jump from Championship with ease and called up to provisional England squad of 33 players. Wharton more of a cm than a dm.

Hackney plays as a DM in the style of Michael Carrick his manager - his passing out might be what attracts Ange. Age 21, was playing as an E u21. He and Wharton seemed to be the standout midfielders in Championship in first half of the season.
Match footage of Hackney:

- Hayden Hackney vs Wigan Athletic (H) - 26/12/2022

- Hayden Hackney vs Norwich City 2023

- Hayden Hackney | Middlesbrough vs Burnley 2023-04-07 Match Highlight | Every Touch

- Hayden Hackney | Middlesbrough vs Preston North End 2023-03-18 Match Highlight | Every Touch

Plenty more available on Youtube.

Nice footage. Lovely passing range, positionally responsible, solid defensively, press resistant, good touch. Game intelligence, good weighting of passing. I really like him. Seems like he's learning a lot from his manager, their styles are very similar.

He strikes me as more of a playmaker holding #6 than your defensive shield DM, which is fine as it's the sort of profile we need if we're getting rid of Hojbjerg this summer. That said he doesn't look poor defensively at all - he's a stocky lad and seems willing to get stuck in.

Only concern is according to Boro fans his form seems to have tailed off a bit recently. But it's clear he's got the raw attributes. #6s at 21 are rarely the finished article and he looks like someone we could develop.

As a Hojbjerg replacement I really like it. As a DM who's going to come in immediately and own the #6 role in a UCL challenging side I'm less sure, but with a fully-recovered Bentancur, Bissouma and potentially Sarr perhaps we don't need one to come in and make an immediate impact. Especially as there's no obvious #6 on the market who'd come in and instantly improve us. Very keen for us to get this one done personally.

Last edited:
Not once haves I written him off but you obviously take from what I said what you want.

He is not a player who will control or dictate a game.
He will cause teams problems with his energy and making great runs into the box and scoring goals.

If you can’t see he’s not a sitting midfielder who can will bring a calming influence and dominate a game then your eyes lie to you.

As I said before I really rate the lad but not the way a lot think he’s this bullshit generational talent crap I hear.
Still watching footage with your eyes shut I see

Embarrassing take.

Clueless????

He’s never played as a 6 in our system. Completely different playing sitting midfield with a partner.

Clueless????

He’s never played as a 6 in our system. Completely different playing sitting midfield with a partner.
Yes, clueless.

Yes he's in a double pivot in this game (with generational talent Ollie Skipp of all people) but if you can't see attributes that would readily tie over playing in a single pivot I don't know what to say.

And I'm not saying he'll definitely transition to the role. I'm saying that boxing in such a ridiculously talented player at 21 as if he can't develop his game and adapt to a slightly new role as he matures is really short sighted.

Last edited:
Yes, clueless.

Yes he's in a double pivot in this game (with generational talent Ollie Skipp of all people) but if you can't see attributes that would readily tie over playing in a single pivot I don't know what to say.
I can see all his attributes to see what his best position is and where he’d be more of a threat for us. I don’t see him ever playing as the 6 for us and I’ll bet you right now he won’t ever play there for us.

Back
Top Bottom