Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can see all his attributes to see what his best position is and where he’d be more of a threat for us. I don’t see him ever playing as the 6 for us and I’ll bet you right now he won’t ever play there for us.
Quite easy to make that bet when he could easily play for us for the next decade and neither of us are gonna be around to cash it in. But fair. I'd be willing to bet he'll play the #6 for us before the season is out, and do it well. Maybe in Europe to start with.

Yes, clueless.

Yes he's in a double pivot in this game (with generational talent Ollie Skipp of all people) but if you can't see attributes that would readily tie over playing in a single pivot I don't know what to say.

And I'm not saying he'll definitely transition to the role. I'm saying that boxing in such a ridiculously talented player at 21 as if he can't develop his game and adapt to a slightly new role as he matures is really short sighted.
I’m not getting into a slagging match with you because you are playing football manager. The game isn’t as easy as that just because you see some clips of him taking a good touch and passing doesn’t mean he’d be comfortable in that role for 90 minutes.
Wonder why Ange never played him there?
Why has Skipp,Hojbjerg,Biss,Bentancur all played in the 6 before him and he’s never been tried there?
Is the manager clueless?

I could also say it’s short sighted that you think he could play there because he’s never played there.

Play him in that position and he would get stifled.

Quite easy to make that bet when he could easily play for us for the next decade and neither of us are gonna be around to cash it in. But fair. I'd be willing to bet he'll play the #6 for us before the season is out, and do it well. Maybe in Europe to start with.
Ok mate,if he plays in the 6 at any point next season I’ll sort out a free day at a home game for you👍

If he doesn’t you need wear a Woolwich top in the home end at a game of my choice 🤣

I’m not getting into a slagging match with you because you are playing football manager. The game isn’t as easy as that just because you see some clips of him taking a good touch and passing doesn’t mean he’d be comfortable in that role for 90 minutes.
Why has Skipp,Hojbjerg,Biss,Bentancur all played in the 6 before him and he’s never been tried there?
Is the manager clueless?

I could also say it’s short sighted that you think he could play there because he’s never played there.

Bloke who can't comprehend the idea of a 21 year old footballer developing his game to adapt to a slightly different position accuses others of playing football manager. Ironic.

Also I see your another one of those ones who defers to the sitting manager like they're some flawless demi-god incapable of getting things wrong. Did Conte get every decision right then? And Mou, and Nuno too? Are we not allowed to critique all these hallowed managers? Might as well pack up this forum and go home then.

Also might be news to you but your beloved Agnes conceded 65 odd goals last season with one of the best back fives in the league, and played Bissouma relentlessly despite him stinking out the place from October on. Strikes me that he might not have got all his DM calls completely spot on this year but that's just me.

Is the manager clueless?

The reason he's never played there is more likely to do with how important his running and offensive skills at the 8 were to the way we play. Much less to do with him not being able to play the 6.

If we see Gallagher come in, I'm willing to bet we see a MF 3 like this fairly often:

Gallagher Sarr Maddison

Bloke who can't comprehend the idea of a 21 year old footballer developing his game accuses others of playing football manager. Ironic.

Also I see your another one of those ones who defers to the sitting manager like they're some flawless demi-god incapable of getting things wrong. Did Conte get every decision right then? And Mou, and Nuno too? Are we not allowed to go against all these hallowed managers? Might as well pack up this forum and go home then.

Also might be news to you but your beloved Agnes conceded 65 odd goals last season with one of the best back fives in the league, and played Bissouma relentlessly despite him stinking out the place from October on. Strikes me that he might not have got all his DM calls completely spot on this year but that's just me.

To be fair, with that back five starting we only conceded 22 goals all season. And only 13 from open play.

Match footage of Hackney:

- Hayden Hackney vs Wigan Athletic (H) - 26/12/2022

- Hayden Hackney vs Norwich City 2023

- Hayden Hackney | Middlesbrough vs Burnley 2023-04-07 Match Highlight | Every Touch

- Hayden Hackney | Middlesbrough vs Preston North End 2023-03-18 Match Highlight | Every Touch

Plenty more available on Youtube.

Nice footage. Lovely passing range, positionally responsible, solid defensively, press resistant, good touch. Game intelligence, good weighting of passing. I really like him. Seems like he's learning a lot from his manager, their styles are very similar.

He strikes me as more of a playmaker holding #6 than your defensive shield DM, which is fine as it's the sort of profile we need if we're getting rid of Hojbjerg this summer. That said he doesn't look poor defensively at all - he's a stocky lad and seems willing to get stuck in.

Only concern is according to Boro fans his form seems to have tailed off a bit recently. But it's clear he's got the raw attributes. #6s at 21 are rarely the finished article and he looks like someone we could develop.

As a Hojbjerg replacement I really like it. As a DM who's going to come in immediately and own the #6 role in a UCL challenging side I'm less sure, but with a fully-recovered Bentancur, Bissouma and potentially Sarr perhaps we don't need one to come in and make an immediate impact. Especially as there's no obvious #6 on the market who'd come in and instantly improve us. Very keen for us to get this one done personally.

I've been wanting one of those for years.

From how many games?

So over the course of a season it would be about 41 goals conceded in the league which would have seen us 20 goals better off and seen us with the 4th best defensive record in the league.

Which tbh, for a brand new system and a back five in which three of them had never played Prem football before (and an average age of 23 between them), that's not bad going at all.

Also if your back 5 is conceding tons of corners and free kicks which lead to goals, I wouldn't discount that personally.

Of course not - but it would also tell us that from defending from open play, we're actually pretty good.

When you consider how poor our offence is and how many times they turn the ball over and give the opponents chances to counter, we deal with it relatively well.

Our set pieces will improve next season. And if they do, based on this season, we'd save ourselves 22 extra goals.

Improving that offensive line to be able to keep the ball better with technically gifted footballers and getting a 6 in who is brilliant defensively, we should in theory be alot stronger defensively if we can keep our back line fit.

Match footage of Hackney:

- Hayden Hackney vs Wigan Athletic (H) - 26/12/2022

- Hayden Hackney vs Norwich City 2023

- Hayden Hackney | Middlesbrough vs Burnley 2023-04-07 Match Highlight | Every Touch

- Hayden Hackney | Middlesbrough vs Preston North End 2023-03-18 Match Highlight | Every Touch

Plenty more available on Youtube.

Nice footage. Lovely passing range, positionally responsible, solid defensively, press resistant, good touch. Game intelligence, good weighting of passing. I really like him. Seems like he's learning a lot from his manager, their styles are very similar.

He strikes me as more of a playmaker holding #6 than your defensive shield DM, which is fine as it's the sort of profile we need if we're getting rid of Hojbjerg this summer. That said he doesn't look poor defensively at all - he's a stocky lad and seems willing to get stuck in.

Only concern is according to Boro fans his form seems to have tailed off a bit recently. But it's clear he's got the raw attributes. #6s at 21 are rarely the finished article and he looks like someone we could develop.

As a Hojbjerg replacement I really like it. As a DM who's going to come in immediately and own the #6 role in a UCL challenging side I'm less sure, but with a fully-recovered Bentancur, Bissouma and potentially Sarr perhaps we don't need one to come in and make an immediate impact. Especially as there's no obvious #6 on the market who'd come in and instantly improve us. Very keen for us to get this one done personally.

I liked him when he was first linked and we saw him play a prem team in the cup. Cheatski I think.

But he played 8 in that game and in thought it suited him.

If were chasing a young 6, I’d probably prefer Gray because he can play RB too and is just as good at spraying passes.

I liked him when he was first linked and we saw him play a prem team in the cup. Cheatski I think.

But he played 8 in that game and in thought it suited him.

If were chasing a young 6, I’d probably prefer Gray because he can play RB too and is just as good at spraying passes.
Only thing with Gray is he's super hyped and probably double the cost. And plenty of the minutes he's played have been at RB, unclear if he'd come in and instantly be our starting #6. But yes extremely talented and at 17 probably has the higher ceiling.

Only thing with Gray is he's super hyped and probably double the cost. And plenty of the minutes he's played have been at RB, unclear if he'd come in and instantly be our starting #6. But yes extremely talented and at 17 probably has the higher ceiling.
Agree but tbf I don't think Hackney would come in and start at #6 either.

Whichever one we signed would be a project.

Of course not - but it would also tell us that from defending from open play, we're actually pretty good.

Our set pieces will improve next season. And if they do, based on this season, we'd save ourselves 22 extra goals.
Agree with most of your comment except these two lines.

I didn't think defensively we were particularly good, even with our first choice back five. Plenty of times Vicario had to get us out of a hole, and a lot of those hardest fixtures in the run in were without those five which massages the stats somewhat. The only games against the top teams where they all played were Woolwich, Liverpool, United x2, Chelsea and Newcastle and we conceded 13 from those 6 games.

And as I've said, just because chances come from set pieces, it doesn't mean your open play defending is necessarily good if your open play defending is what leads to those set pieces. No team will ever be able to fully prevent set pieces resulting in a goal so we can't talk like those 22 are preventable. Ultimately we concede way too many (second highest in the league if I'm not wrong) which simply has to improve if we're to reduce set piece goals, and that's a function of our open play defending.

Back
Top Bottom