Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think the Milan game was a completely different game than a premier league game. Different tempo and if I remember he had Skipp playing square of him. He was fine that game but it wasn’t massively influential. Was a solid game imo.

Off the top of my head think Wolves away, Chelsea away, Everton away, Brighton away maybe even Forest away. could be wrong on some of them or missing some out but just remember when some of them games got more physical and a higher tempo his ball retention and ball manipulation started to fall down.

Teams were pressing Bisoumma at the start of the season but because he was so good at breaking the press and and taking players out and breaking lines that they let him have that space and started pressing in different areas. Think if you moved Sarr there, teams would start pressing that area again and you turn the ball over in that area it’s disaster.

I like Sarr but he’s an 8 imo and if we get Gallagher who I’m still not completely convinced on they’ll be playing in the same roll, sharing game time.

Let’s see, I have a feeling they will play together and we will be a pressing monster

Wasn't their xG largely down to their offside chance that didn't get called offside (and would have subsequently been called back by VAR?), Fernandes or Rashford header I believe. I struggle to remember any other chances they had.
The Fernandes chance was onside from my recollection. We also got very lucky with a Romero handball not given.
So it took us to game week 33 for our starting back five to all have an off game. It happens.
Simply not true, plenty of games we had problems defensively even with that back five. Already mentioned Woolwich, Liverpool. Burnley away they conceded two. United home. The Chelsea shitshow - the fact two of them reds is irrelevant, it still contributed to the loss.

Then Brentford at home we conceded two and looked awful at times. The mighty Everton - two more conceded, lucky not to lose. Then Brighton, Luton, West Ham, Forest - we got some results here, but the consensus was we looked poor for long stretches, and defensively open. Newcastle, horrible, and that was it for the season.

We're no more open than a Villa, City, Liverpool or even Woolwich.
OK you've completely lost me now, think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Woolwich this season had one of the meanest defences in Prem history, no rational analysis would put us anywhere close to a par with them defensively right now. Nor City.

And yes some of that is to do with pressing from the front, better ball retention, and better cover in front of the CBs. But some of that is simply due to structure - they and City set up in a 3-2-5 which leaves them structurally much more solid on the counter, it's no wonder our xG conceded is considerably higher than both.

Last edited:
Oh look cretinousgoat cretinousgoat following me around blanket disliking all my comments as per. Even the one where I just posted footage of Hayden Hackney lol.

Is this allowed here? Can someone just fuck this weird troll off the forum?

We need a Lo Celso replacement so it makes sense.

We'll probably end up with Gibbs White since Forest need to sell. His stats show promise so it might work out. Plus he knows how to head a football so it helps with the set piece problem.
Maybe a cheeky bid for James McAtee as a Lo Celso replacement.

Or give his minutes to Devine or Donley.

Agree but tbf I don't think Hackney would come in and start at #6 either.

Whichever one we signed would be a project.

I don't think he needs to be considered as a starting 6 - he could be eased into the position over half a season if we have Bissouma, Bentancur and Skipp around too.

And if he takes the leap from Championship to PL like Wharton (Blackburn to Palace) , that transition might be only a few games or couple of months !

I don't think he needs to be considered as a starting 6 - he could be eased into the position over half a season if we have Bissouma, Bentancur and Skipp around too.

And if he takes the leap from Championship to PL like Wharton (Blackburn to Palace) , that transition might be only a few games or couple of months !

Different level of scrutiny for us vs Palace.

Wharton made the right choice but he probably got away with a few more mistakes early on for Palace.

The Fernandes chance was onside from my recollection. We also got very lucky with a Romero handball not given.

Simply not true, plenty of games we had problems defensively even with that back five. Already mentioned Woolwich, Liverpool. Burnley away they conceded two. United home. The Chelsea shitshow - the fact two of them reds is irrelevant, it still contributed to the loss.

Then Brentford at home we conceded two and looked awful at times. The mighty Everton - two more conceded, lucky not to lose. Then Brighton, Luton, West Ham, Forest - we got some results here, but the consensus was we looked poor for long stretches, and defensively open. Newcastle, horrible, and that was it for the season.

OK you've completely lost me now, think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Woolwich this season had one of the meanest defences in Prem history, no rational analysis would put us anywhere close to a par with them defensively right now. Nor City.

And yes some of that is to do with pressing from the front, better ball retention, and better cover in front of the CBs. But some of that is simply due to structure - they and City set up in a 3-2-5 which leaves them structurally much more solid on the counter, it's no wonder our xG conceded is considerably higher than both.
Our first choice, Porto, Romero, VDV

Our first choice, Porto, Romero, VDV, Udogie, is probs one of best in the league... We just lack protection in front of them.... For me Ederson is a must this transfer window

Oh look cretinousgoat cretinousgoat following me around blanket disliking all my comments as per. Even the one where I just posted footage of Hayden Hackney lol.

Is this allowed here? Can someone just fuck this weird troll off the forum?

Hi,

Post something I agree with, I’ll give you an agree.

They’re not blanket disagrees, I just think you post an absolute load of shit.

Especially when you call other posters out for being ‘clueless’ as if that’s acceptable, especially when they’re not the clueless ones.

Out of me and you, there’s only one weird troll, and it’s not me. I’m a spurs supporter. You’re not.

Don’t like it? Stop posting shit.

And that’s all the time I’m going to give you so don’t bother replying

Post shit, get banged (by disagrees).

Hopefully one day you’ll post something that isn’t a complete waste of everyone’s time. Won’t hold my breath though.

End of discussion. Now jog on.

Not sure if it's enough to judge our press with just data but I believe we had statistically the most effective press in the league this year. Passes per defensive action and chances from high turnovers etc.

Maybe someone has that data?

Fully agree on our attack coughing up the ball in dangerous situations though. We also need to get better with CMs rotating in behind when the FBs are forward.

Curiously that's one thing our academy sides used to do well, so the DM seamlessly becomes a 3rd CB when FB's go forward - something Skipp is good at doing.

We're open because we are set up to play high and press high. Which means if Son struggles to hold the ball up (Newcastle for example) or Johnson loses the ball or Kulusevski cuts inside and mispaldes a pass, the opponents are right on us. We're no more open than a Villa, City, Liverpool or even Woolwich.

Villa conceded the same amount of goals as us (despite us having much worse injury problems defensively) and Liverpool, City and Woolwich are simply better offensively than us so they see less turnovers and chance creation against them (as well as all being much better at defending set pieces).

Screen-Shot-2024-05-24-at-22-08-11.png

We give up the highest quality chances in the league along with Villa. Woolwich give up the least. And City the least number of chances. Ultimately we're in a different league to these two defensively.

Just checked on YouTube. Was a Raahdord header from a Fernandes rabona. And it was offside (not given at the time).

Simply not true, plenty of games we had problems defensively even with that back five. Already mentioned Woolwich, Liverpool. Burnley away they conceded two. United home. The Chelsea shitshow - the fact reds is irrelevant to the discussion, it still contributed to the loss.

You're just mentioning random games in which we've conceded goals. 😂

How can you consistently mention the back five. Only to bring up the Chelsea game in which that particular back five conceded ZERO goals together.

I've given you plenty of proof that our back five when fit is a fine back five. They have one of the best defensive records in the league from open play when they do start and we've lost a grand total TWO league games when they've started together all season, with one of those being at home to Chelsea when we lost three of the back five by the 50th minute (when the score was 1-1)

If you want to disagree with facts, go for it mate.

Then Brentford at home we conceded two and looked awful at times.

We lost Romero after 12 minutes in that game mate... So we didnt have our starting back five for most of it. And conceded one of the worst penalty decisions of the season.

The mighty Everton - two more conceded, lucky not to lose.

Two from set pieces. Zero from open play.

Van de Ven denied a blatant penalty at 2-1.

Then Brighton

Emerson and Davies at centre back. Three goals conceded from set pieces.

Conceded on the break due to our offence losing the ball.

Wasn't actually defended poorly this one. Avoidable by having attackers who can actually play football.

West Ham,

Set piece.

Poor goal to concede, agreed. Van de Ven and Udogie both ridiculously poor.
OK you've completely lost me now. Woolwich this season had one of the meanest defences in Prem history, no rational analysis would put us anywhere close to a par with them defensively right now.

I didn't say we were on par with them defensively.

I said they're open. They play a high line. High risk, high reward football. However, off the ball, they're exquisite. They win the ball back, they press brilliantly, niggly fouls but more importantly, they don't turn the ball over in the offensive third as much as we do.

If they did, they'd be countered alot more and the ball over the top is one. Look at Watkins' goal against them at The Emirates.

And yes some of that is to do with pressing from the front, and better cover in front of our CBs. But some of that is due to structure - they and City set up in a 3-2-5 which leaves them structurally much more solid on the counter, it's no wonder our xG conceded is considerably higher than both.

Wonder how much higher our xG conceded is down to the fact we conceded 9 goals in 3 games with Emerson and Davies playing CB. Or when we had Dier and Hojberg playing CB against Chelsea at home.

Would be interesting to see what it would be in the games our back five have all been on the pitch together. Because that only equates to 1,540 minutes or so this season.

Just checked on YouTube. Was a Raahdord header from a Fernandes rabona. And it was offside (not given at the time).

How can you consistently mention the back five. Only to bring up the Chelsea game in which that particular back five conceded ZERO goals together.

I've given you plenty of proof that our back five when fit is a fine back five. They have one of the best defensive records in the league from open play when they do start and we've lost a grand total TWO league games when they've started together all season, with one of those being at home to Chelsea when we lost three of the back five by the 50th minute (when the score was 1-1)

We lost Romero after 12 minutes in that game mate... So we didnt have our starting back five for most of it. And conceded one of the worst penalty decisions of the season.

Two from set pieces. Zero from open play.

Van de Ven denied a blatant penalty at 2-1.

Conceded on the break due to our offence losing the ball.

Wasn't actually defended poorly this one. Avoidable by having attackers who can actually play football.

Set piece.

Poor goal to concede, agreed. Van de Ven and Udogie both ridiculously poor.

I didn't say we were on par with them defensively.

I said they're open. They play a high line. High risk, high reward football. However, off the ball, they're exquisite. They win the ball back, they press brilliantly, niggly fouls but more importantly, they don't turn the ball over in the offensive third as much as we do.

If they did, they'd be countered alot more and the ball over the top is one. Look at Watkins' goal against them at The Emirates.

Wonder how much higher our xG conceded is down to the fact we conceded 9 goals in 3 games with Emerson and Davies playing CB. Or when we had Dier and Hojberg playing CB against Chelsea at home.

Would be interesting to see what it would be in the games our back five have all been on the pitch together. Because that only equates to 1,540 minutes or so this season.

Superb post.

I mean I'm not going to go through this entire comment but it has to be one of the most biased takes on our season I've ever seen 😂
Funnily enough games where we've conceded goals sometimes coincide with games we've been loose at the back! Shocking I know.

And no, I'm mentioning games where subjectively I thought we were very loose defensively. You can disagree by all means, but the consensus here and on other forums in plenty of these games and the games you've referenced were that we looked open, despite sometimes getting the result. And the xG conceded from plenty of those games would back it up.

You can't include the starting back 5 for the stats you like (ie 22 conceded in 20 or whatever) and then remove those games when those stats don't suit your narrative 😂
I was talking Brighton at home.

"Facts". From the guy who says we're no more open defensively than City and Woolwich. Ok mate.

Last edited:
Question is more, why would he choose us. Seems a smart guy, keen on his development. We have Son in his preferred role.

Premier League experience on his CV without being tied to it if it doesn’t suit him.
Life in London, incredible facilities and a chance to win the Europa League.

He’s Dutch so will know Micky VDV. The two of them are the best players in the next generation of the Dutch NT. he could go to Barca but they are a mess and not winning much next season.

Superb post.

Our defence gets a bad rep. But it's definitely unwarranted and over the top.

Our defensive record hasn't been great this season. But fuck me, we lost Udogie for 10 games, van de Ven for 11. We even lost Romero for 5.

I completely forget Romero went off injured in the opening game. So in fact, I've crunched th numbers more accurately and with that back five on the pitch at the same time, our record whilst they've been on the pitch stands at:

1406 minutes played together.
10 wins
7 draws (went on to win 3 of these after subs)
1 loss
17 goals conceded
10 from open play.

Which let's be honest, isn't bad when you consider we were told Porro and Udogie can't play in a back four, van de Ven and Vicario were new to the league and they're all playing completely different systems to what they're used to.

Back
Top Bottom